Re: NOMADS GFS file changing June 12th

Jerry

I did some testing today and it looks like it should be a simple change on Wednesday to get everything working.   I did some testing with the 0.25 degree filtered file and my parser works on it.  Assuming they put back in the filter .pl files and keep the names the same for the 0.5 deg file the only change is the directory structure.  The other issue I see is the 0p25 files don't have as many mb levels as the current 0p50 files.  I assume that is to keep the file size down and the 0p50 will be the same or better than the current version.

I also fixed the overlay so that is working now.  The Database was gone for some reason.  I updated the UTC clock on the page to html from flash so that works better.

Look forward to seeing everyone next week.

Jerry Gable
Balloon Flight Prediction tools
http://www.s3research.com

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 8:38:44 PM MST, Mark Conner N9XTN <mconner1@...> wrote:

The GFS model will undergo physics upgrades at that time.  The output formats should remain the same, but the directory structure will apparently change as per the notice.  Here's what a current URL looks like:

I assume the tail end would change from 0600/ to 06/00/ on the 12th.  The 0.5 deg and 1.0 deg files should still be available, as there are many users.

Those pulling the data from the https server (and perhaps other NOAA model data servers) will have to change their pulls in a turnkey fashion during the 12Z cycle.

I don't know if any of the HABHUB crew is on this email list or not.  Hopefully someone can get word to a contact there.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 8:15 PM Jerry via Groups.Io <jerrygable=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just to add some interest to the GPSL launch, it looks like the GFS forecast that everyone uses for prediction software is getting a major upgrade the Wednesday before. The announcement is shown below.  I am a little confused on exactly what is happening to the existing files (0.5 and 1.0 degree) that most systems use.  Since there is a new directory structure it would be nice if both systems could be up for a while but it doesn't sound like that is in the cards.

The pessimist in me says we should all be prepared for none of the prediction software working Friday or Saturday.  The best and most likely case is everyone will get the software converted over with a little down time on Wednesday.  I plan on working on mine so it is ready but will be traveling on Wednesday so it might be interesting.

If any of you have contacts at Hahhub or any of the other prediction systems it would be great to hear their plans.

Mark Conner, if you have any insight it would be great to hear that as well.