Re: NOMADS GFS file changing June 12th

Steve Aerospace

Thanks Mark - I've just cross posted to  the UKHAS group.

    Steve G8KHW/AJ4XE

On 06/06/2019 04:38, Mark Conner N9XTN wrote:
The GFS model will undergo physics upgrades at that time.  The output formats should remain the same, but the directory structure will apparently change as per the notice.  Here's what a current URL looks like:

I assume the tail end would change from 0600/ to 06/00/ on the 12th.  The 0.5 deg and 1.0 deg files should still be available, as there are many users.

Those pulling the data from the https server (and perhaps other NOAA model data servers) will have to change their pulls in a turnkey fashion during the 12Z cycle.

I don't know if any of the HABHUB crew is on this email list or not.  Hopefully someone can get word to a contact there.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 8:15 PM Jerry via Groups.Io <jerrygable=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just to add some interest to the GPSL launch, it looks like the GFS forecast that everyone uses for prediction software is getting a major upgrade the Wednesday before. The announcement is shown below.  I am a little confused on exactly what is happening to the existing files (0.5 and 1.0 degree) that most systems use.  Since there is a new directory structure it would be nice if both systems could be up for a while but it doesn't sound like that is in the cards.

The pessimist in me says we should all be prepared for none of the prediction software working Friday or Saturday.  The best and most likely case is everyone will get the software converted over with a little down time on Wednesday.  I plan on working on mine so it is ready but will be traveling on Wednesday so it might be interesting.

If any of you have contacts at Hahhub or any of the other prediction systems it would be great to hear their plans.

Mark Conner, if you have any insight it would be great to hear that as well.

Jerry Gable
Balloon Flight Prediction tools
http://www.s3research.com