Re: Wanted: Payload recovery team for GPSL

Garrett, Mark

Michael:

Just catching up on emails after meeting you at Hamvention.  What kind of tracking device are you going with for the bear?

On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 9:32 PM Michael Hojnowski <kd2eat@...> wrote:
Gang,

I'm intending to reprise a launch of the payload we launched at Cornell
a few weeks back.  It features a DTMF triggered secondary payload
release (the last one was a little Cornell Big Red Bear) with Parachute
and tracker.  We attempted to release it at 90,000 feet but our DTMF
decoder didn't quite get the message.  A failsafe dropped the bear from
95,000 feet.  Unfortunately, the Bear got a little waterlogged prior to
flight (it was drizzling rain) and fell faster than predicted right into
Cayuga lake.  It's sleepin' with the fishes.

I want to make another attempt with a, hopefully, better outcome. Since
the dropped payload follows its own trajectory, I would need to have a
second team attempt to recover that payload while I chase down the main
payload package.  If anyone is free to chase the drop payload, I'd love
the help.  It's not going to be especially valuable, just a tracker and
some token item on a hand-made parachute, so I won't cry if it goes
unrecovered.

If interested, please let me know!
Mike / KD2EAT
Advisor, Amateur Radio Club at Cornell