Re: Frequency selection for airborne crossband repeaters

Joe WB9SBD

I agree with Bill on that Pairing.

FORGET repeater co-coordinators. We used them on the very first repeater flight ever.Way back in like 1989 or so. And They just do not understand the coverages we can get with these flights. And one of the UHF freqs we were suggested to use as being safe, ended up being a UHF link from a repeater system, satellite receivers. So in the middle of our flight, suddenly on the balloon was a swapnet happening.

But if you want quiet great freq the pair Bill stated below we have used probably a dozen times and have worked great every time.

Now if you really want to have FUN! Many will make me now to put on my Flame suit. But we have done it probably 4 times? But the biggest fun was this pair
 146.52/446.000  Yup! It was crazy easily worked well over 300+ stations!

Mike what do you plan on usi9ng for equipment?

Will the repeater go both ways, think HT in crossband repeat but both directions.

Joe WB9SBD
KB9KHO
Near Space Sciences

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com

On 2/27/2019 9:59 AM, Bill Brown via Groups.Io wrote:
I typically use 446.025 and 144.340. Both are simplex. For a simplex repeater i use 144.340.
-Bill WB8ELK
On Feb 27, 2019, at 8:39 AM, Michael Hojnowski <kd2eat@...> wrote:

Hey Gang,

I'm intending to fly a cross-band repeater with a HAB in April.  It occurs to me that I don't have a good idea of how to select frequencies.  Should I be using one from the repeater input range on one band, and output on another?  Should I be selecting simplex frequencies for this short term use?  Should I attempt any kind of coordination with our regional frequency coordination groups?

What have people done?

Thanks for any advice,
Mike / KD2EAT