Re: Frequency selection for airborne crossband repeaters

Mark Conner N9XTN

We have flown simplex repeaters before (record and rebroadcast).  At first we used 446.00, figuring people would be pleasantly surprised by having a long-distance balloon contact.  Not so much.  We then tried 446.10 and found another somewhat regular user.  We since settled on 446.30 for our ground and airborne comms.

I've also flown SSTV on 147.585 without any complaints.

A freq council might be able to let you know if certain simplex freqs are in use for other purposes.  For example, one of the local repeaters used to have an auxiliary input frequency in the 147.4ish range.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 8:40 AM Michael Hojnowski <kd2eat@...> wrote:
Hey Gang,

I'm intending to fly a cross-band repeater with a HAB in April.  It
occurs to me that I don't have a good idea of how to select
frequencies.  Should I be using one from the repeater input range on one
band, and output on another?  Should I be selecting simplex frequencies
for this short term use?  Should I attempt any kind of coordination with
our regional frequency coordination groups?

What have people done?

Thanks for any advice,
Mike / KD2EAT