Floater balloon

Bruce Coates

Hi

I'm planning on launching a floater balloon from Saskatoon in the near future and it just occured to me that i know just enough to be damgerous.

My payload  is complete and weighs in at about 40 grams, quite a bit heavier than i had hoped. I have 36 inch mylar balloons which should provide over 75 grams of neck lift if they were fully inflated with hydrogen.

I have just 3 questions:

1. Given the mass of the payload, how much net lift should I use?  I'm thinking of 5 to 10 grams.
2. How do I run predictions for a floater?  Given my northern latitude, I want the initial part of the flight to travel southward over southern Canada or the US so I can track it for the first part of the flight.
3. What other questions should I be asking?

I'm all ears.

73, Bruce - VE5BNC