Zero pressure balloon observation

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

Last night after sunset I did some stargazing. Lo and behold about 10 degrees to the right of Venus was another and equally bright star.

At first I assumed it was a an airplane, but noticed that after a minute or so it was not moving. So I aimed my 20X80 binoculars at it and found it to be a brightly illuminated disk.

This is the first time that I've seen a zero pressure balloon at high altitude and in  flight. As the sky got darker the star became fainter and turned a distinct orange in color.

I've attached a picture taken with a cell phone which of course, doesn't do it justice.