I can not put my hands on it right now, but a GPS antenna specification i read last year, recommended the antenna be mounted on a minimum of  40mm x 40mm ground plane to get maximum GPS sensitivity.

My guess is that they are facilitating that requirement, to make the antenna system easier to ground to a metal plate.

Kip

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:45 PM Bruce Coates <bruce.coates@...> wrote:
Right. Missed that part. Yes, the entire "back" side of the mesh is covered with adhesive. I think that's what holds it to the shield as there no evidence of any soldering or other electrical connection.

-------- Original message --------
From: "Hank Riley via Groups.Io" <n1ltv=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: 7/12/18 8:21 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: GPSL@groups.io
Subject: Re: [GPSL] What's this on the GPS antenna lead?

The decoupling idea did occur to me, but I did kind of slide over your wording concerning the coax shield.

A few more clue requests:

By "connected," do you really mean connected galvanically to the shield?   Or just folded around the coax tightly?  Can't tell by the photo for sure.  One picture I found looks as if there might be a sliver of shield exposed on the end of the mesh closest to the antenna.  If connected, please describe how that's done (one or two places; by solder?).

Does the adhesive cover the central area of the mesh at all?

My thought was attaching the mesh to the coax was simply for product packaging purposes and was intended to be only temporary until applied to the antenna.

Maybe the mesh does both functions.  I don't think the entire mesh area is needed for decoupling.

Hi Hank

Interesting. I was also wondering about it being some attempt at common mode decoupling, like a 1/4 wave stub.

73, Bruce