Re: Recommended Tracking Equipment for a HAB

Steve Aerospace

If your using a Raspberry Pi why not consider the Raspberry Pi  Pi-In-The-Sky APRS variant:

    https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=52

    Steve G8KHW

On 19/06/2018 17:31, Jason Unwin via Groups.Io wrote:

Our Civil Air Patrol unit in Oklahoma is trying to organize a high altitude balloon launch for its cadets. We are trying to accomplish the following goals for the equipment:

1. APRS position reporting with a back up.

2. Radio beacon with back up if the APRS fails.

3. Simple to operate and turn on so that there is not a lot of training involved to operate it.

4. Ideally, as low cost as possible so we can afford the helium. Hydrogen is out of the question.

Here are some possible equipment options we were thinking of using:

Sansonic APRS Tracker

MicroTrak 1000

Micro Fox 15

Tracksoar Ready To Fly

We also have access to a Raspberry PI kit with the following:

Raspberry Pi is a tiny computer that helps teach programming through a variety of practical projects. Included in the Civil Air Patrol STEM Kit:

    Raspberry Pi Core Kit

    Real Time clock breakout board kit

    Blue & White 16x2 LCD + Keypad kit

    GPS Breakout

    Touchscreen

    Sensor Pack

    Camera Board

Are there any other things we could use? I realize this is a little subjective but we are looking for simple, reliable, and ideally moderately priced equipment.

Sincerely,

--

Major Jason B. Unwin, CAP

Muskogee Composite Squadron,Professional Development Officer

Aerospace Education Officer

©918-616-0578

U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

gocivilairpatrol.com

http://www.okwgcap.org/25010

Website: http://www.okwgcap.org/161709_2

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MuskogeeCAP/?ref=br_rs

--
Steve Randall
Random Engineering Ltd

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person or use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.
Although this e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free from any virus or other defect which might affect any system into which they are opened or received, it is the responsibility of the recipient to check that they are virus free and that they will in no way affect systems and data.
No responsibility is accepted by Random Engineering Ltd. for any loss or damage arising in any way from their receipt, opening or use.
Random Engineering is a Limited company, registered in England, Registered no: 06393823. Registered Office: 47 Western Ave., Felixstowe Suffolk IP11 9SL
The Random Engineering privacy policy can be found here:randomaerospace.com/Random_Aerospace/Privacy.html