Re: EOSS

James Ewen VE6SRV

That looks like it could have been a fun adventure... it's not often
that one can say that they trekked up to the headwaters of Whangdoodle
Creek to recover their Near-Space payload.

It looks like that two wheeled track along the ridge was big enough
for a vehicle... was that the case?

It always looks easy on Google Earth to get to places on these ridges
in the US... there are always tracks all over the place!

James
VE6SRV

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 8:23 PM, Thomas Londrigan <lawndragon@...> wrote:
Attached is a photo from the adjacent ridge near lick creek road. Kirkham
trail is visible below the ridge, the payload was over the ridge.

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018, 8:19 PM Lawndragon Ulysses <lawndragon@...>
wrote:

EOSS recovered our payloads at N 44 05.72 W 115 30.21, altitude
approximately 5800ft. Hands on the payload was at 1910 hours. Once we
realized we had a slow ascent rate,we drove up highway 21 to Idaho City. We
were able to receive transmissions after the beacons were on the ground from
highway 21 east of Lowman.

It was approximately 0.8 miles from hwy 21 and 1.3 miles from lick creek
road, and 1800 ft above the highway. We had downloaded the Boise National
forest maps prior to leaving Boise. A 3.5 mile hike up Kirkham trail and a
climb up over a 300ft ridge were required to reach the payload.

The entire team had good comms on simplex. While in Boise we had good
comms on the 444.900 repeater, and a local ham provided info on the 145.310
repeater which provided coverage around lowman.

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018, 8:41 PM jcbiggerstaff <jim.biggerstaff@...>
wrote:

Seems to me, since many of you have amateur radio licenses, amateur radio
would be a great way to stay in contact when those darn cell phones fail :)
73, Jim N0TKN