Re: Lesson Learned

Mark Conner N9XTN

One of the main issues in GPSL 2016 (and perhaps this year too) were extensive RF holes.  In 2016 our balloon landed in an area with no repeater or cell service.  We had good RF tracking of the balloon to landing, so that didn't interfere with recovery.  However, we'd have had to drive to RF coverage to contact the outside world.  EOSS could easily have encountered the same thing on the drive into the mountains.

Using the hashtag #GPSL2018 was a good attempt to share on Twitter, but it's easy to forget the hashtag in the head of the moment (I did a lot).

Twitter is a good medium for sharing real-time news snippets but it requires some organization.  Having someone *not chasing* be the person to coordinate on Twitter is a good idea.  But it also requires at least one person on each chase team to be able to send updates, preferably via Twitter.

We do have available @superlaunch as a central Twitter account to use for this event, but it hasn't been used since 2015.

73 de Mark N9XTN

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 5:53 PM Hank Riley via Groups.Io <n1ltv=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Michael,

Could you please elaborate just a little on your experience in 2016?

What specifically were the main things that didn't work and why?   This will inform future hosts and organizers about what to expect and methods and strategies.

Hank

Michael <mw@...> wrote:

I tried to improve this at GPSL 2016 by being "the one person". It did not work out so well.