Re: Transmissions on Balloons

Bill Brown

Ah...thanks Leo, I forgot to mention RTTY. I used that a lot in the early days for telemetry before APRS came onto the scene. I also used an analog voice chip (any of the ISD series) which I could address various voice clips that I prerecorded into the device and used that to send down voice telemetry on FM. ARBONET flew a voice telemetry payload during a GPSL a few years ago. As I recall it said something like "Help I'm lost" when the GPS failed.

From: Leo Bodnar leo@... [GPSL]
To: GPSL@... List
Sent: Wed, Dec 6, 2017 12:18 pm
Subject: Re: [GPSL] Transmissions on Balloons

Few more modes:
Majority of UK flights use[d] RTTY
Some UK flights have used THOR16
Many flights use LoRa modulation now
There were flights on the continent using voice FM transmissions.  I had a B-class payload ready to go but it did not make it into the air, here is off-air test recording http://www.leobodnar.com/balloons/files/B-number-station.wav

Cheers
Leo

  DominoEX, Contestia, JT9 and good ole fashioned CW to name a few.

From: 'L. Paul Verhage' nearsys@... [GPSL] <GPSL-noreply@...>

So aside from APRS, WISPR, Hellscriber, ATV, and SSTV, what other transmission types are used in balloons?