Re: Tracker Questions

Jim Reed

No changes to the actual the way they work. Sorry about the confusion. They work well.

The billing structure is changing. It is not changing in a way that makes it unaffordable. When the billing structure is changing and we have to commit one way or the other it is time to look at all options once again. It has been a while since we adopted this technology and with all tech things move forward at a very fast speed. We just wanted to see what others are using. We have to make a decision within the next couple of weeks. We will most likely just stay with PF but one never knows what others have had success with. We were given some money this year and we have always discussed others ways to track once on the ground.

Thanks folks!!

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 1:27 PM, Hank Riley n1ltv@... [GPSL] <GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:

So, we have been using PocketFinders for our secondary trackers. These
have worked well in the past to find our payloads once on the ground.

The PF has worked well but some of the rules in regards to the PF are changing.
We knew that day would come.

Jim,

Could you please elaborate just a little about why you're quitting the
PocketFinder system?

I see that 2G is going away, but there's a new device being offered that will still
work (the company claims) for years to come.

$159 to buy on of those new ones.  Is it because the price has gone up from what the
2G-only device you have now cost?

I'm only guessing from your wording "some of the rules in regards to the PF are
changing" that there may be more to it than just the 2G to 3G transition.

Hank

--

Classroom Website

High Altitude Balloon Class
First middle school in the world to float a super pressure balloon around the globe.
Nationally recognized STEM program. Winner of Samsung Solve for Tomorrow in 2013.