Re: Balloon chasing program

Joe WB9SBD

We uad back in the beginning lke 1990 or so a dos basic program that was fun, you took your location lat long alt, and told it also where the balloon was lat long alt, and it spat out a range, bearing, and altitude above the horizon.  was cool.

Joe WB9SBD

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com

On 7/10/2017 1:31 PM, 'L. Paul Verhage' nearsys@... [GPSL] wrote:

I'd like it to show a compass rose and range to the balloon.

I'd like to see your final product.

On Jul 10, 2017 12:11 PM, "Jerry Gable jerrygable@... [GPSL]" <GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:
[Attachment(s) from Jerry Gable included below]

Since GPSL I have been thinking about chase software.  I haven't found any that does what I think it should.  I have looked at http://flighttrack.surfingsatellites.org/ but that is about the only one I know about.  I am looking for one that can be used offline in those bad reception areas balloons like to find.

I decided to start looking at what it would take to write one and have started playing with writing my own.  I have played with the pieces and think I have the stuff to pull this off.  The screenshot below is what I have running now.  The numbers on the right for the balloon are all test but the parser is working and mapping position reports to the map.

The question is: Is anyone else interested?  If I do it just for myself I'm not convinced it is worth the effort.

Here are my goals for the tool.
  • Must work offline.
    • Maps must be able to be cached.
    • Must be able to deal with internet loss as well as PC restarts
  • Show my location and the balloon being chased.
    • decode GPS NEMA data for my location
    • Allow multiple trackers to provide data from the balloon (failure backup and faster update times)
  • Simple interface to allow use in moving cars (not driver)
  • Show what the balloon is currently doing
  • Receive APRS from a radio (KISS mode) and APRS-IS.
  • Show pre-flight prediction
  • Update prediction with real time data from the balloon
  • Run on windows laptop. (Tools allow for Apple laptop & linux builds as well)

So am I doing this for myself or is there interest in this from you?  If yes, what would you like to see in it?

Inline image

Jerry Gable
Balloon Flight Prediction tools
http://www.s3research.com