GPSL weather update

Mark Conner N9XTN

There is a chance for isolated severe thunderstorms Thursday evening in central Kansas including Hutchinson, mostly a wind/hail threat.  Nothing too unusual for this time of year.  There are additional small chances for isolated storms Friday and Saturday nights, but I don't think they will survive until daybreak.  So a Saturday flight still looks good.

Surface winds will be light from the south under the inversion, but as soon as that breaks some gusts to 20 mph can be expected.  That should happen by 10am, so filling and releasing early in the launch window is preferred.  Temps at sunrise will be in the low 70s, quickly rising above 90 by noon.

As mentioned earlier, forecast tracks are generally southeasterly and result in uncomfortable proximity to Wichita if we launch from Hutchinson.  A third launch site (probably south/southwest of HUT) is being considered.