NSTAR 17-A flight completed today

Mark Conner N9XTN

After three different cancellations (including two for events) due to unfavorable landings or surface conditions, NSTAR 17-A finally got off the ground this morning from my QTH in Valley.  We got to a bit over 104,000 ft today and recovered everything very easily near Talmage, NE.

The N9XTN-12 GPS started giving us "NO FIX" around 55,000 ft and regained lock below 35,000 ft on descent.  A uBlox-based GPS was received today and will be ready for GPSL.

We tried out a MateCam 808 attached to the balloon neck to see if that video would be more stable than those in the payloads.  It was much more stable after initial release, but there was still quite a bit of rotation and swing at altitude, almost as much as the payload cameras.

The attached GoPro video capture shows a bunch of latex shards shooting below the payloads right after burst.  I don't recall seeing this much latex go below the payloads before.

I have several photos posted to my Twitter feed at http://twitter.com/N9XTN.  Also working on uploading more videos to http://youtube.com/n9xtn.