Balloon Ascent Rate and Rising and Falling Air

L. Paul Verhage KD4STH

I see small and frequent variations in a balloon's ascent rate. I thought the variation was due to GPS errors.

But now I wonder how much might be due to air rising and falling. In the first example, if air streams collide and compress the air, does the air rise or fall in response (I can see that it will speed up or slow down). In the second case, can an air parcel be significantly cooler or warmer than the surrounding air and then fall or rise in response?

Is there another reason why air might rise or fall? Can any of these impact the ascend rate of a balloon enough to show up in the APRS data?