Re: Fast HAB Imaging in the 868 MHz band

Steve Aerospace

Diverse receivers with centralised missing packet requested infill is pretty unique as a protocol.   DSL IP Multicast TV uses a similar idea - but there each of the receivers requests its missing packets via a unicast IP stream back to the video server.

Well done to Dave for coming up with a new protocol variant (In my knowledge anyway).  I’m not sure we would be doing any of this in the UK if the Ham radio licence allowed airborne operation (restrictions are the mother of invention perhaps).  In the US you guys have the ability to do much more with your Ham licence including live video.

Steve G8KHW / AJ4XE

On 31 Jan 2016, at 06:16, 'Allen Sklar' ajsklar@... [GPSL] <GPSL-noreply@...> wrote:

 Hello All
Via the Southgate Amateur News Server...
Note, What is talked about in this post is done in the UK...
I don't know what if any FCC rules would cover this in the USA....

Allen Sklar, W7AS
Tempe AZ USA

Fast HAB Imaging in the 868 MHz band
These days much radio experiment work takes place in license-exempt bands which are free of some of the restrictions of the amateur radio license

In his blog Dave Akerman M0RPI writes about his experiments using high-speed data transfer in 868 MHz to download images from High Altitude Balloons.

By using the the 250 kHz bandwidth option on the readily available LoRa modules a data rate of around 17,000 bps might be achieved enabling a 1280×640 image to be downloaded in about 70 seconds.

Read the M0RPI blog post at
http://www.daveakerman.com/?p=1913

Steve Randall
Random Engineering Ltd