Re: More M0XER-4

Bill Brown

Well...here's the deal as I understand it. Leo can correct me if I have stated something wrong. M0XER-4 is capable of operating on both 2 meters and 70cm. When over an area that allows airborne ham radio use it transmits on 2 meter APRS on the 2m APRS frequency in use for that area (there are a number of different ones in use around the World). When over Great Britain and parts of Europe that don't allow airborne ham radio operations (why?, I don't know...probably a throwback from WWII) it transmits on 434.XXX MHz usually in Contestia mode (don't remember which version of Contestia though) under the identifier B-64.

- Bill WB8ELK

And yes, M0XER-4 puts out 10 mW....I've driven around town with my homebuilt 10 mW APRS transmitter and have been picked up by a number of digipeaters. High power is definitely not required for APRS particularly for high altitude balloons....anything over 200 mW is overkill. I flew Alan W7QO's Peach 10 mW APRS board on an ozonesonde flight and don't think any reports were missed during the ascent and only one or two reports missed on the way down.

And the following quotes are for James and one or two others on the list that may benefit from the wisdom of this fine book which has guided my life: (I'm particularly fond of quote # 12).
--------------------
These are the things I learned (in Kindergarten):

1. Share everything.
2. Play fair.
3. Don't hit people.
4. Put things back where you found them.
5. CLEAN UP YOUR OWN MESS.
6. Don't take things that aren't yours.
7. Say you're SORRY when you HURT somebody.
8. Wash your hands before you eat.
9. Flush.
10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
11. Live a balanced life - learn some and drink some and draw some and paint some and sing and dance and play and work everyday some.
12. Take a nap every afternoon.
13. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.
14. Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
15. Goldfish and hamster and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
16. And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK.”
― Robert FulghumAll I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten