Re: Balloon Mail successful WB8ELK balloon recovered by W7QO

Leo Bodnar <leo@...>

Mark,

That's what all B-flights do as well.  There is no compressed timestamp available in APRS specification so i just dreamt up my own.

There are encoded time and datestamps in each realtime and backlog message sent from B-**.  Without them there is no way to untangle APRS timing mess.

There are stations sending packets with 30-60 minutes delays and aprs.fi dutifully lists them under delayed times.
The worst I had was 18 hours delayed packets from some unlisted igate in Russia.

For example, last B-64 packet was:

2014-10-06 07:10:43 UTC: M0XER-4>APRS64,LD9TK,WIDE2*,qAR,LA9UI-2:!/)IQ1Q_7)O W{h)/A=040836|+fI7&W=r!,|

...note "W{h)" in front of /A=040836 - this is an encoded GPS date/time stamp.  It decodes to "10th of October, 07:10:41"

Cheers
Leo

On 6 Oct 2014, at 22:51, Mark Conner mconner1@... [GPSL] wrote:

Another item to consider is using the hhmmss format for the time spec.  This helps reconstruct logs afterwards, especially data collected from others.  It's really handy to have a good time stamp right in the packet instead of relying on others' clocks.  I can't remember if that's part of the APRS compressed format or not.  We generally run more towards the "plain" format, which is harder on the TX/battery budget but has more flexibility.