Topics

Tough Ones

WM2U

Hi Guys, Sheez I have just finished processing a big claim off our friend Joao CU3AA. It took me 4 days. I really enjoy working with Joao.
Rich did you manage to contact those two errant Hams or should I simply delete em!?
Did you manage to make heads or Tails of that one I send yesterday?

I'll have another look at it but I certainly do not want to create a claim and them process it, what'cha say? Ernie

On 6/5/2019 10:09 AM, WL7CG wrote:
I hear that Rich. I have two SOTA peaks across the street from me that take out everything to the north (Europe and Africa). I have great view of the Pacific, so that makes up for some of it. High latitude impacts propagation too. I rooting for the SFI to increase!

73 Alan WL7CG

WL7CG

I hear that Rich. I have two SOTA peaks across the street from me that take out everything to the north (Europe and Africa). I have great view of the Pacific, so that makes up for some of it. High latitude impacts propagation too. I rooting for the SFI to increase!

73 Alan WL7CG

Richard Kennedy

Thanks Alan,

Yea, huge unequal distributions of radio operators in various provinces definitely make it challenging to accumulate the required number of grids to earn a badge for a particular province.  One of the keys to overcoming this, and what I've had some success at, is to try using multiple bands: for some of the VE provinces, I have QSOs from 6M thru 160M which I think increases your chance that a new band will generate a new grid.  Secondly, terrain around the transmitter site can dramatically effect the path direction and signal magnitude.  Tall mountains in one specific direction may hamper one's ability to have a decent signal in that direction.  Or the overall radiation pattern of your antenna(s).  For example, my HF dipoles now run broadside to NE and SW, so I have trouble working JAs and south Africa.  Dean Straw (ex ARRL guy) has software and lots of info on doing a terrain analysis at one's site - you might want to check it out - often the results are surprising!

GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT