From: Richard Kennedy <astro_va@...>
To: GAPA@groups.io <GAPA@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Apr 10, 2019 6:33 pm
Subject: [GAPA] Upcoming FT8 DX Contest

Hello GAPA'ians:

This is the first real FT8 only DX contest sponsored by the European FT8 Club, and an opportunity to pickup some new grids/prefixes !

Here is the link for the rules, hours, exchange, etc. : FT8 DX Contest

You don't have to 'enter the contest and submit a score' to play - you can simply monitor and pick out those stations/grids that you want to contact.

Additionally, propagation has been open the last two weekends on 15M (and some on 10M) to South America.  I managed to pick up two new grids in Brazil.

GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT

Richard Kennedy

FT8 DX Contest 2019

Rules

1 – Date

Begins: 13-April-2019 | 12:00 UTC
Ends:    14-April-2019 | 12:00 UTC

2 – Bands and mode

80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters on FT8 mode. Any station may work any other station. Stations may be worked once per band.

POWER MAX = 100 WATTS !!

What frequency sub-bands are to be used?  I didn't see anything in a quick look at the rules.

73,
Ken, AB1J

This is the first real FT8 only DX contest sponsored by the European FT8 Club, and an opportunity to pickup some new grids/prefixes !

Here is the link for the rules, hours, exchange, etc. : FT8 DX Contest

You don't have to 'enter the contest and submit a score' to play - you can simply monitor and pick out those stations/grids that you want to contact.

Additionally, propagation has been open the last two weekends on 15M (and some on 10M) to South America.  I managed to pick up two new grids in Brazil.

GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT

Kermit Lehman

So, what sub-bands?  They would be wise not to use the normal FT8 frequencies.

73,
Ken, AB1J

[...]

Ken,

For this FT8 activity (and virtually all other special event stations), there are no explicitly defined 'sub-bands', just the conventional recommended frequencies as listed in the K1JT WSJTx protocols what you refer to as 'normal'.

DXPeditions and other special event station will often use 'secondary digital windows' and this information appears on their websites.  I might add that, by recent convention, these 'secondary digital windows' are for Fox/Hound operations, although I've seen DX stations using standard FT8 (non-F/H) in these windows.

I do agree with you that a contest of this nature should have a recommended window of operational frequencies specific to their contest, but the EU FT8 Club did not do this.  Thus, we'll most likely see these FT8 DX Contest stations mixed throughout the conventional/standard frequency windows.

GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT