Date   
Re: Tough Ones

Richard Kennedy
 

Thanks Alan,

Yea, huge unequal distributions of radio operators in various provinces definitely make it challenging to accumulate the required number of grids to earn a badge for a particular province.  One of the keys to overcoming this, and what I've had some success at, is to try using multiple bands: for some of the VE provinces, I have QSOs from 6M thru 160M which I think increases your chance that a new band will generate a new grid.  Secondly, terrain around the transmitter site can dramatically effect the path direction and signal magnitude.  Tall mountains in one specific direction may hamper one's ability to have a decent signal in that direction.  Or the overall radiation pattern of your antenna(s).  For example, my HF dipoles now run broadside to NE and SW, so I have trouble working JAs and south Africa.  Dean Straw (ex ARRL guy) has software and lots of info on doing a terrain analysis at one's site - you might want to check it out - often the results are surprising!

GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT



From: GAPA@groups.io <GAPA@groups.io> on behalf of WL7CG <asorum@...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 2:44 PM
To: GAPA@groups.io
Subject: [GAPA] Tough Ones
 
All,

Glad to see new members to the list. Which provinces are tough for you? Right now I think everyone in VE4 lives in Winnipeg and VK8 in Darwin. I have multiple contacts in VK8 and one grid. One plus is I got my first VK0 station.

Reach out to your membership organizations and let them know about GAPA. I was able to get our northwest ARRL organization to mention the program. There lots of ham clubs and DX groups out there. I want to keep Ernie busy :)

73 Alan WL7CG

Re: Tough Ones

WL7CG
 

I hear that Rich. I have two SOTA peaks across the street from me that take out everything to the north (Europe and Africa). I have great view of the Pacific, so that makes up for some of it. High latitude impacts propagation too. I rooting for the SFI to increase!

73 Alan WL7CG

Re: Tough Ones

WM2U
 

Hi Guys, Sheez I have just finished processing a big claim off our friend Joao CU3AA. It took me 4 days. I really enjoy working with Joao.
Rich did you manage to contact those two errant Hams or should I simply delete em!?
Did you manage to make heads or Tails of that one I send yesterday?

I'll have another look at it but I certainly do not want to create a claim and them process it, what'cha say? Ernie

On 6/5/2019 10:09 AM, WL7CG wrote:
I hear that Rich. I have two SOTA peaks across the street from me that take out everything to the north (Europe and Africa). I have great view of the Pacific, so that makes up for some of it. High latitude impacts propagation too. I rooting for the SFI to increase!

73 Alan WL7CG

Re: errant hams

Richard Kennedy
 

Hi Ernie,

I've started to compose an email to these two errant hams about falling short on the GAPA Submission, but the emails just didn't sit right with me.

So too bad for them.  Thanks for reminding me about this.

73, Rich, K3VAT



From: GAPA@groups.io <GAPA@groups.io> on behalf of WM2U <emills21@...>
Sent: Wednesday, June 5, 2019 2:23 PM
To: GAPA@groups.io
Subject: Re: [GAPA] Tough Ones
 

Hi Guys, Sheez I have just finished processing a big claim off our friend Joao CU3AA. It took me 4 days. I really enjoy working with Joao.
Rich did you manage to contact those two errant Hams or should I simply delete em!?
Did you manage to make heads or Tails of that one I send yesterday?

I'll have another look at it but I certainly do not want to create a claim and them process it, what'cha say? Ernie

On 6/5/2019 10:09 AM, WL7CG wrote:
I hear that Rich. I have two SOTA peaks across the street from me that take out everything to the north (Europe and Africa). I have great view of the Pacific, so that makes up for some of it. High latitude impacts propagation too. I rooting for the SFI to increase!

73 Alan WL7CG

Re: errant hams

WM2U
 

Hi Rick,
Hey! no problem, I know where your coming from so lets move on. I will kill any unused files for them.
Thanks for reviewing this. Ernie


On 6/7/2019 5:17 AM, Richard Kennedy wrote:
Hi Ernie,

I've started to compose an email to these two errant hams about falling short on the GAPA Submission, but the emails just didn't sit right with me.

So too bad for them.  Thanks for reminding me about this.

73, Rich, K3VAT



From: GAPA@groups.io <GAPA@groups.io> on behalf of WM2U <emills21@...>
Sent: Wednesday, June 5, 2019 2:23 PM
To: GAPA@groups.io
Subject: Re: [GAPA] Tough Ones
 

Hi Guys, Sheez I have just finished processing a big claim off our friend Joao CU3AA. It took me 4 days. I really enjoy working with Joao.
Rich did you manage to contact those two errant Hams or should I simply delete em!?
Did you manage to make heads or Tails of that one I send yesterday?

I'll have another look at it but I certainly do not want to create a claim and them process it, what'cha say? Ernie

On 6/5/2019 10:09 AM, WL7CG wrote:
I hear that Rich. I have two SOTA peaks across the street from me that take out everything to the north (Europe and Africa). I have great view of the Pacific, so that makes up for some of it. High latitude impacts propagation too. I rooting for the SFI to increase!

73 Alan WL7CG

S9A DXPedition

Richard Kennedy
 

The Sao Tome Island DXPedition runs several more days.  It it turning out to be the FT8 DXPedition of the year with the vast majority of their QSOs on this mode.

S9A was on 20M again this afternoon with one of the strongest signals from Africa this year.  Please see attached photo.  You can visit their website for additional info.  

GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT

GOOD DIGITAL MORNING

WL7CG
 

All,

The RDRC promotes a digital activity period every Saturday morning that highlights different modes. It might be something of interest to those looking for a break from FT8 and wanting to pick up some new grids. 

Alan WL7CG

http://www.rdrclub.ru/dni-aktivnosti-rtsrk/854-digital-morning

RDRC invites fans of digital radio 
every Saturday in a Year to meet and spend with us «Good DIGITAL morning». We offer this activity from 03:00 to 11:00 UTC. We recommend using HF bands from 160 to 10 meters, depending on the propagation on them. «Good morning DIGITAL» is not a Contest, you do not need to send reports. Along with other days of activity organized by the RDRC during the year, this event will contribute to meeting the conditions of the annual diploma «Master of Amateur Digital Radio Communication» and will help applicants to obtain the required amount of QSOs in rarely used digital modes for awards «RDRC HAMLOG DIGI Activity»

VE4 and FT4

WL7CG
 

All,

Hope everyone is well. Just found the sixth grid for Manitoba/VE4, pretty much everyone lives in Winnipeg! I have a long way to go on VO1 and VO2.

Still digging for a VK8 that lives outside Darwin.

Has anyone tried FT4? I have been having some fun with it. It's not as effective as FT8, but certainly faster.

73 Alan WL7CG

Re: VE4 and FT4

Richard Kennedy
 

Hi Alan,  Very good on the 6th VE4 Grid!

Haven't tried FT4 as I'm concentrating on two Marine Mobile stations that are only on with FT8 and who are several thousand miles away so I need all the sensitivity I can get.

Might do FT4 later.

73, Rich, K3VAT


From: GAPA@groups.io <GAPA@groups.io> on behalf of WL7CG <asorum@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 1:57 PM
To: GAPA@groups.io <GAPA@groups.io>
Subject: [GAPA] VE4 and FT4
 
All,

Hope everyone is well. Just found the sixth grid for Manitoba/VE4, pretty much everyone lives in Winnipeg! I have a long way to go on VO1 and VO2.

Still digging for a VK8 that lives outside Darwin.

Has anyone tried FT4? I have been having some fun with it. It's not as effective as FT8, but certainly faster.

73 Alan WL7CG

Tis Done

WM2U
 

OK you can now claim a DX BAR with any PINNACLE Award entity.
This is back to Pre-PINNACLE Award DX listings.

Ernie wm2u

Re: Tis Done

WL7CG
 

Thanks for the effort Ernie. When things settle down after summer, we should consider putting together some sort of special event for GAPA. Any ideas all?

73 Alan WL7CG

On 9/1/19 1:05 PM, WM2U wrote:
OK you can now claim a DX BAR with any PINNACLE Award entity.
This is back to Pre-PINNACLE Award DX listings.

Ernie wm2u