Topics

Nucor Steel & Frostproof

Donald R. Hensley, Jr.

From the Lakeland Ledger:
"Nucor Corp. of Charlotte, North Carolina, officially announced it would build a $240 million steel mill Monday on a 400-acre site on U.S. 27 just south of Frostproof near the county line. The company expects to create 250 new high-paying jobs paying an average annual salary of $66,000, plus benefits."

I first thought that this would benefit the Florida Midland, but now that I have reread the news statement, its CSX that is near US 27 South of Frostproof, near the county line. I got on the Polk County Property Appraisers map site to see if any land sales were recorded, but nothing shows up. If its on the Florida Midland, the only place  would be south-east of the Lowes Distribution Center. I sure do hope that it is the Midland that gets it.

My friend Tom Lawson told me that a small Nucor mill usually has three locomotives for mill switching:one to handle the inbound scrap and other raw materials; one to handle the outbound rebar; and a spare engine just as needed.

Don

--
Taplines...o o o o Don Hensley
       _____     ()     2680 1st Street