Topics

[FlaRRHistory] Venice Branch of SAL

seth h. bramson

The Tpa to Venice passenger train was operated by one of the doodlebugs.  I think that freight was operated with ALCo S type road switchers but others may have more info.

Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2015 10:12 PM
To: FlaRRHistory@...
Subject: [FlaRRHistory] Venice Branch of SAL

Can anyone shed some light on the types of locomotives used by the Seaboard Air Line in the 1960's on the Venice turn? Any other history is most welcome as well! I currently have track charts of the branch from a USGS survey, and an idea of a few of the industries served, but I'm still a little hazy on the look of the trains in the SAL era due to the lack of prototype photos.

-Christian

Donnie Hensley

The doodlebug was Seaboard # 2028 and she usually was the power for train #s 258 & 257.
In 1965 the 258 left Venice at  8:20 am and arrived in Tampa at 11:15 am as train 25!
She was serviced and turned and left Tampa as train 26 at 1:35pm arriving in Venice at 4:30pm as train 257.
When she was being serviced or the train was too heavy for her, they would substitute an E unit.

I'm pretty sure Alco's  S type switchers and RS3 road switchers called the Sarasota Sub home.

From what I can gather from Employee Timetables, it looks like local freights south of Palmetto was operated as extras, with Palmetto being used as the gathering point for one of Seaboard's Name Freights, "The Marketer" #580 ,which left at 7:45pm every night except Saturday. The return freight was #587, which arrived in Palmetto at 12:35am except on Sunday. Locals would be dispatch out of Palmetto to the various points on the Sarasota Sub. Train 587, after switching out the Palmetto cars and changing crew, probably continued south to Venice as an extra train. 

There were also seasonal rushes, citrus in the Winter and two tomato crops, one in the Spring and another in the Summer. And the Tropicana Plant in Bradenton was a big customer, the shipments in the 1960's used TOFC to carry the juice.

Don

Taplines...o o o o Don Hensley
       _____     ()     277 S Washington St 
 __===  ]OO|_n_n_][.    Waynesburg, PA 15370
[_____]_|__|_______)<   photos@...
 oo oo    o  OOO-=o\\_  www.taplines.net
SE Shortline, Industrial & Narrow Gauge History

Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2015 10:15 PM
Subject: RE: [FlaRRHistory] Venice Branch of SAL

The Tpa to Venice passenger train was operated by one of the doodlebugs.  I think that freight was operated with ALCo S type road switchers but others may have more info.

Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2015 10:12 PM
Subject: [FlaRRHistory] Venice Branch of SAL

Can anyone shed some light on the types of locomotives used by the Seaboard Air Line in the 1960's on the Venice turn? Any other history is most welcome as well! I currently have track charts of the branch from a USGS survey, and an idea of a few of the industries served, but I'm still a little hazy on the look of the trains in the SAL era due to the lack of prototype photos.

-Christian

Christian Javier

So as far as the substituted E units, if the doodlebug was being serviced, would they be the white/red scheme or the citrus scheme in the 1960's?

Donnie Hensley

The doodlebug was painted in the freight citrus scheme for some odd reason.
The E Units of the 60's would have been painted in the "Mint Green" Scheme.
Its not white but a very light mint green that weathered to white.
See this page for colors:

Sent: Monday, March 30, 2015 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: [FlaRRHistory] Venice Branch of SAL

So as far as the substituted E units, if the doodlebug was being serviced, would they be the white/red scheme or the citrus scheme in the 1960's?

Christian Javier

What about cabooses? I'm guessing the 5cc models were still common?

Donnie Hensley

Yep, and stenciled for the South Florida Division.
And a safety slogan.

Sent: Monday, March 30, 2015 2:32 PM

What about cabooses? I'm guessing the 5cc models were still common?

Christian Javier

I found this track chart on topoquest, a USGS survey site. I know from Seaboard System era photos that the two very last industries near the wye are a lumber dealer and a precast concrete plant. I am not sure what the double track siding above the lumber dealer on the west side of the line were used for, and I'm still not sure what all the tracks were used for in the yard around the Venice station. The Seaboard System Venice turn also spotted propane cars and boxcars at Nokomis, but I am not sure if these industries existed in 1960's SAL era because nothing appears in the Nokomis area on USGS surveys. 

Christian Javier

Venice Branch Trackage

Donnie Hensley

You can have fun with this site, that has old aerial photos of Florida.

And for old topo maps you can go to straight to the source, the USGS:

For Venice they have a 1944 and a 1972 
Don

Sent: Monday, March 30, 2015 8:12 PM

I found this track chart on topoquest, a USGS survey site. I know from Seaboard System era photos that the two very last industries near the wye are a lumber dealer and a precast concrete plant. I am not sure what the double track siding above the lumber dealer on the west side of the line were used for, and I'm still not sure what all the tracks were used for in the yard around the Venice station. The Seaboard System Venice turn also spotted propane cars and boxcars at Nokomis, but I am not sure if these industries existed in 1960's SAL era because nothing appears in the Nokomis area on USGS surveys. 

Christian Javier

Turns out the Venice branch was pretty barren as far as industries in the SAL era. The usgs maps only show the lumber dealer as the industries at the time, as well as the depot. The ACL branch to Naples looks interesting, however. There appears to be quite a bit of activity from the ACL to the SCL on the maps. Would you happen to what trains ran there besides the 4900 during the SCL era?