Topics

[FlaRRHistory] Venice Branch of SAL

seth h. bramson

The Tpa to Venice passenger train was operated by one of the doodlebugs.  I think that freight was operated with ALCo S type road switchers but others may have more info.

From: FlaRRHistory@... [mailto:FlaRRHistory@...]
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2015 10:12 PM
To: FlaRRHistory@...
Subject: [FlaRRHistory] Venice Branch of SAL

Can anyone shed some light on the types of locomotives used by the Seaboard Air Line in the 1960's on the Venice turn? Any other history is most welcome as well! I currently have track charts of the branch from a USGS survey, and an idea of a few of the industries served, but I'm still a little hazy on the look of the trains in the SAL era due to the lack of prototype photos.

-Christian

Donnie Hensley

The doodlebug was Seaboard # 2028 and she usually was the power for train #s 258 & 257.
In 1965 the 258 left Venice at  8:20 am and arrived in Tampa at 11:15 am as train 25!
She was serviced and turned and left Tampa as train 26 at 1:35pm arriving in Venice at 4:30pm as train 257.
When she was being serviced or the train was too heavy for her, they would substitute an E unit.

I'm pretty sure Alco's  S type switchers and RS3 road switchers called the Sarasota Sub home.

From what I can gather from Employee Timetables, it looks like local freights south of Palmetto was operated as extras, with Palmetto being used as the gathering point for one of Seaboard's Name Freights, "The Marketer" #580 ,which left at 7:45pm every night except Saturday. The return freight was #587, which arrived in Palmetto at 12:35am except on Sunday. Locals would be dispatch out of Palmetto to the various points on the Sarasota Sub. Train 587, after switching out the Palmetto cars and changing crew, probably continued south to Venice as an extra train.

There were also seasonal rushes, citrus in the Winter and two tomato crops, one in the Spring and another in the Summer. And the Tropicana Plant in Bradenton was a big customer, the shipments in the 1960's used TOFC to carry the juice.

Don

Taplines...o o o o Don Hensley
       _____     ()     277 S Washington St
 __===  ]OO|_n_n_][.    Waynesburg, PA 15370
 oo oo    o  OOO-=o\\_  www.taplines.net
SE Shortline, Industrial & Narrow Gauge History