Topics

[FlaRRHistory] Sanford Traction Co and Fairbanks Morse

Donnie Hensley

Some stuff from my notes:

SANFORD TRACTION COMPANY CO Incorporated - 1908 Capital stock - no record Route - The company was founded by A.T. Rossiter, J.N. Whitner, A.P. Connelly, F.P. Foster and S.O. Chase, who was the President. In 1918 the company was dissolved and the equipment was sold for taxes.  In 1918, two Fairbanks-Morse Brill railcars were purchased. These were 50 horse-power, gas-mechanical powered cars.

SANFORD AND EVERGLADES RAILROAD COMPANY S&E Incorporated - July, 1908 Capital stock - $50,000 increased to $500,000 in 1910 Route - Sanford to Mecca Junction 11.50 miles stations consists of Sanford, Whitner, Brissen, Sipes, Dutton, Beardall, Beck Hammock, Walsh, Moores, Stevens, Cameron City, Crippen, Runley, Palm Villa and Mecca Junction standard gauge Mr. A.T. Rossiter was president. His board of directors consisted of Mr. J.N. Whitner, A.P. Connelly, S.O. Chase and F.P. Foster. The line was known as “The Celery Belt Line”. On October 13, 1913, the portion of this railroad that ran from the S&E Junction to Mecca Junction, 9.42 miles, was conveyed to the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. The remaining portion from Sanford to the S&E Junction was abandoned and the track was removed.
 Locomotive
52 4-4-0 Cooke or Schenectady? 15x24 or 16x24
ex G.S.Baxter & Co. 52 ,  Fargo, GA
to SI&E 735 and sold to S&E 52 on 12/20/1909
 to ACL 2nd # 453 in 1913 to AF Langford contractor
SI&E records says she was a Danforth Cooke, while ACL records says she was a Schenectady.
Unknown which is correct.

Looks like they both co-existed together for their entire life.
A 1911 comptroller report said that the Sanford Traction Co. only operated 1.25 miles.

Let me know if you find anything cool about the Orange Belt Ry!
Don

Taplines...o o o o Don Hensley
       _____     ()     277 S Washington St
 __===  ]OO|_n_n_][.    Waynesburg, PA 15370
 oo oo    o  OOO-=o\\_  www.taplines.net
SE Shortline, Industrial & Narrow Gauge History