Topics

[FlaRRHistory] Sanford Traction Co and Fairbanks Morse

Donnie Hensley

Some stuff from my notes:

SANFORD TRACTION COMPANY CO Incorporated - 1908 Capital stock - no record Route - The company was founded by A.T. Rossiter, J.N. Whitner, A.P. Connelly, F.P. Foster and S.O. Chase, who was the President. In 1918 the company was dissolved and the equipment was sold for taxes.  In 1918, two Fairbanks-Morse Brill railcars were purchased. These were 50 horse-power, gas-mechanical powered cars. 

SANFORD AND EVERGLADES RAILROAD COMPANY S&E Incorporated - July, 1908 Capital stock - $50,000 increased to $500,000 in 1910 Route - Sanford to Mecca Junction 11.50 miles stations consists of Sanford, Whitner, Brissen, Sipes, Dutton, Beardall, Beck Hammock, Walsh, Moores, Stevens, Cameron City, Crippen, Runley, Palm Villa and Mecca Junction standard gauge Mr. A.T. Rossiter was president. His board of directors consisted of Mr. J.N. Whitner, A.P. Connelly, S.O. Chase and F.P. Foster. The line was known as “The Celery Belt Line”. On October 13, 1913, the portion of this railroad that ran from the S&E Junction to Mecca Junction, 9.42 miles, was conveyed to the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. The remaining portion from Sanford to the S&E Junction was abandoned and the track was removed. 
 Locomotive
52 4-4-0 Cooke or Schenectady? 15x24 or 16x24
ex G.S.Baxter & Co. 52 ,  Fargo, GA
to SI&E 735 and sold to S&E 52 on 12/20/1909
 to ACL 2nd # 453 in 1913 to AF Langford contractor
SI&E records says she was a Danforth Cooke, while ACL records says she was a Schenectady.
Unknown which is correct.

Looks like they both co-existed together for their entire life.
A 1911 comptroller report said that the Sanford Traction Co. only operated 1.25 miles. 

Let me know if you find anything cool about the Orange Belt Ry!
Don

Taplines...o o o o Don Hensley
       _____     ()     277 S Washington St 
 __===  ]OO|_n_n_][.    Waynesburg, PA 15370
[_____]_|__|_______)<   photos@...
 oo oo    o  OOO-=o\\_  www.taplines.net
SE Shortline, Industrial & Narrow Gauge History

To: "FlaRRHistory@..."
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:59 AM
Subject: [FlaRRHistory] Sanford Traction Co and Fairbanks Morse

In compiling information about Sanford's railroad arrangements, I can't help but be fascinated with the Sanford & Everglades line which went into the ACL in 1913.  The abandoned right-of-way is a couple of blocks from my son's home on the east side of town, guaranteeing my curiosity.

Anyone drawn to the S&E must, by necessity, confront its twin and interlocked enterprise, the Sanford Traction Company, which provided short-lived passenger service over the S&E's track.  Unfortunately, there is a relative dearth of reliable information about these two companies, and what does exist is sometimes vague and/or contradictory. 

From the available record, for example, it is difficult to determine which company came first.  I am inclined to believe that the S&E actually predated the Traction company, even though there are popular references to an earlier streetcar line powered by horses.  The ST as an organized entity postdated the 1908 incorporation of the S&E, and in the McGraw Electric Directory for 1912,  was listed as if uncompleted.  Both the ST and S&E were owned by the same individuals, who were area celery farmers and businessmen, apparently chief among them were members of the Chase family.

Clearly, the Traction company never intended to electrify, its description in McGraw announced the possibility of either gasoline or storage battery cars as equipment.  Indeed, ST had acquired two Model 24 gasoline-mechanical cars from the Sheffield Car division of Fairbanks-Morse in 1910--according the Ed Keilty's "Interurbans Without Wires" volume.  It was an interesting, albeit unsurprising choice, since F-M was marketing the car for just such purposes.  The Model 24 also looked like a trolley car, barely 35-feet long and equipped with a single-truck undercarriage.

It's probably only coincidence, but Charles Hosmer Morse, chief executive and majority owner of F-M, was also a resident and co-founder of nearby Winter Park.  Still, given Morse's extensive investments in central Florida, is it possible that one or more of the ST's owners had business dealings with Morse that might have influenced their equipment decisions?  I don't think we'll ever know, given the available record, but it's a curious thought.

Richard Wallis

seth h. bramson

Don and friends:

I am wondering about the Brill cars.  If the company was dissolved in 1918, why were the cars purchased that year?

All info that I have on the Sanford Traction Company indicates that they operated battery cars and that, like (as I understand it) all the other battery cars that were operated, they were a failure.

Florida had several battery car operations and, like Don, if you have anything on any of them, pls let me know:

Daytona Beach, Miami, Sanford, Everglades City, and, I think, South Jacksonville. 

Don and all, do you know if there were any other battery car operations in FL?

Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:51 AM
To: FlaRRHistory@...
Subject: Re: [FlaRRHistory] Sanford Traction Co and Fairbanks Morse

SANFORD TRACTION COMPANY CO Incorporated - 1908 Capital stock - no record Route - The company was founded by A.T. Rossiter, J.N. Whitner, A.P. Connelly, F.P. Foster and S.O. Chase, who was the President. In 1918 the company was dissolved and the equipment was sold for taxes.  In 1918, two Fairbanks-Morse Brill railcars were purchased. These were 50 horse-power, gas-mechanical powered cars. 

SANFORD AND EVERGLADES RAILROAD COMPANY S&E Incorporated - July, 1908 Capital stock - $50,000 increased to $500,000 in 1910 Route - Sanford to Mecca Junction 11.50 miles stations consists of Sanford, Whitner, Brissen, Sipes, Dutton, Beardall, Beck Hammock, Walsh, Moores, Stevens, Cameron City, Crippen, Runley, Palm Villa and Mecca Junction standard gauge Mr. A.T. Rossiter was president. His board of directors consisted of Mr. J.N. Whitner, A.P. Connelly, S.O. Chase and F.P. Foster. The line was known as “The Celery Belt Line”. On October 13, 1913, the portion of this railroad that ran from the S&E Junction to Mecca Junction, 9.42 miles, was conveyed to the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. The remaining portion from Sanford to the S&E Junction was abandoned and the track was removed. 

Locomotive

52        4-4-0 Cooke or Schenectady? 15x24 or 16x24

SI&E records says she was a Danforth Cooke, while ACL records says she was a Schenectady.

A 1911 comptroller report said that the Sanford Traction Co. only operated 1.25 miles. 

Let me know if you find anything cool about the Orange Belt Ry!

Don

Taplines...o o o o Don Hensley

_____     ()     277 S Washington St 

__===  ]OO|_n_n_][.    Waynesburg, PA 15370

[_____]_|__|_______)<   photos@...

oo oo    o  OOO-=o\\_  www.taplines.net

SE Shortline, Industrial & Narrow Gauge History

From: "Richard Wallis vandalialine@... [FlaRRHistory]" <FlaRRHistory@...>
To: "FlaRRHistory@..." <FlaRRHistory@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 11:59 AM
Subject: [FlaRRHistory] Sanford Traction Co and Fairbanks Morse

In compiling information about Sanford's railroad arrangements, I can't help but be fascinated with the Sanford & Everglades line which went into the ACL in 1913.  The abandoned right-of-way is a couple of blocks from my son's home on the east side of town, guaranteeing my curiosity.

Anyone drawn to the S&E must, by necessity, confront its twin and interlocked enterprise, the Sanford Traction Company, which provided short-lived passenger service over the S&E's track.  Unfortunately, there is a relative dearth of reliable information about these two companies, and what does exist is sometimes vague and/or contradictory. 

From the available record, for example, it is difficult to determine which company came first.  I am inclined to believe that the S&E actually predated the Traction company, even though there are popular references to an earlier streetcar line powered by horses.  The ST as an organized entity postdated the 1908 incorporation of the S&E, and in the McGraw Electric Directory for 1912,  was listed as if uncompleted.  Both the ST and S&E were owned by the same individuals, who were area celery farmers and businessmen, apparently chief among them were members of the Chase family.

Clearly, the Traction company never intended to electrify, its description in McGraw announced the possibility of either gasoline or storage battery cars as equipment.  Indeed, ST had acquired two Model 24 gasoline-mechanical cars from the Sheffield Car division of Fairbanks-Morse in 1910--according the Ed Keilty's "Interurbans Without Wires" volume.  It was an interesting, albeit unsurprising choice, since F-M was marketing the car for just such purposes.  The Model 24 also looked like a trolley car, barely 35-feet long and equipped with a single-truck undercarriage.

It's probably only coincidence, but Charles Hosmer Morse, chief executive and majority owner of F-M, was also a resident and co-founder of nearby Winter Park.  Still, given Morse's extensive investments in central Florida, is it possible that one or more of the ST's owners had business dealings with Morse that might have influenced their equipment decisions?  I don't think we'll ever know, given the available record, but it's a curious thought.

Richard Wallis

Richard Wallis <vandalialine@...>

Let me make a few comments--on the run, unfortunately--on both Don's & Seth's posts:

I had not given any thought to the S&E extending further into Sanford than S&E Junction on the ACL's Lake Charm line.  If it did, what was the route into town? (None of the mapping I've seen shows this particular stretch of right-of-way.) Obviously, upon reconsideration, the S&E would not have accomplished its purpose without access to the lakefront and the riverboat traffic, which kept railroad rates in check.  Whatever line extended into town beyond S&E Jct was apparently abandoned after the ACL acquired the S&E's track in 1913.

The FM-Sheffield Model 24's were acquired in 1910, not 1918; bodies were by Brill.  From what I have been able to ferret out in the available record, the Traction company only operated for a year or two, at least on the S&E's line.  ACL reports show no rental paid by the ST in 1914, and a reduced amount in 1913. 

Somewhere in my "electronic pile of stuff" is a reference to the ST having two gasoline cars in operation and two additional storage battery cars on order from Federal to meet growing traffic demands.  This could have been puffery.  Keilty is sketchy on coverage of battery car production and reports no such sale(s) in his book.  Anything is possible, of course.

Richard Wallis

To: "FlaRRHistory@..."
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:51 AM
Subject: Re: [FlaRRHistory] Sanford Traction Co and Fairbanks Morse

Locomotive
52 4-4-0 Cooke or Schenectady? 15x24 or 16x24