[FlaRRHistory] Palmetto Railroad
Donnie Hensley <taplines@...>
In "100 Years in Palmetto" by Ruth Abel, there is a chapter on transportation with the following info:toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
The Palmetto Terminal started ops in April of 1895.
Narrow Gauge, the photo looks like 3 foot gauge and was 2-1/2 miles long. and ran from Hendrix's Dock on Central St. (9th Ave north to Pine (6th St) and then angled to the corner of Oak (7th St) & lemon (8th Ave), going north east to Memphis Hammock. Used to haul produce to the steamers. The old steam locomotive soon died and the cars were hauled by horses and mules. The line was obsolete by the time SAL entered in 1902.
Donald R. Hensley, Jr.
Southeastern RR History and Photographs
News Groups Located at: