Trailering across country

Giacomo Bernardi

We just got a Flicka on the east coast, and we live in California. The boat does not have a trailer and is on the hard. So we have several options: 1. Getting it shipped here. 2a buying a boat trailer and bringing her home ourselves, 2b buying a flatbed trailer with a cradle and driving her home. Any suggestions?--
Giacomo Bernardi
Professor, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of California Santa Cruz
Center for Ocean Health, Long Marine Lab
115 McAllistair Way
Santa Cruz, CA, 95060, USA

email: bernardi@...
http://bio.research.ucsc.edu/people/bernardi

SailorElliot

If you’re planning to move it to lakes, trailer it. If not get it on a flatbed. Paying someone to ship via the water would be something I would really avoid (not sure if you had that as an option, but don’t).

--
1985 Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20

Morgantheship

I believe that there was someone on this forum or on the Flicka 20 Facebook site that at one time indicated that they had a trailer for a Flicka and would move a Flicka anywhere in the USA for a fee. Might be worth looking into to see if something like that is still available. Or perhaps finding another Flicka owner that would be willing to rent their trailer to you. Just a thought.

Russell
s/v: Wren #089

On March 11, 2022, at 8:18 PM, "Giacomo Bernardi via groups.io" <bernardi@...> wrote:

We just got a Flicka on the east coast, and we live in California. The boat does not have a trailer and is on the hard. So we have several options: 1. Getting it shipped here. 2a buying a boat trailer and bringing her home ourselves, 2b buying a flatbed trailer with a cradle and driving her home. Any suggestions?--
Giacomo Bernardi
Professor, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of California Santa Cruz
Center for Ocean Health, Long Marine Lab
115 McAllistair Way
Santa Cruz, CA, 95060, USA

email: bernardi@...
http://bio.research.ucsc.edu/people/bernardi

CaptainJohn49

The Flicka is too tall to transport on anything but a low boy, so your best bet is have a trailer made by “Triad" for the Flicka, (that’s what I have).  If you do move it yourself it is best to have a 2500 or 3500 pickup.  The Flicka is too heavy for a regular car or a light pickup such as Toyota.  Of course if you are only going a few miles you can use almost anything, but going across the country is another matter.  Remember it isn’t how fast you can go but how fast you can stop.

The real negative to having a boat trailer is two fold.  First you have the purchase price for something that you seldom use as well as insurance and licenses.  Second is - where do you put it. You can’t leave it on the street, most cities won’t allow it.  If you rent storage as I do it costs $150 per month and up.  I pay $225 per month for an enclosed storage space for my trailer. If you have a farm you can stick it in the barn.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions  I’m always able to give advice - I all kinds of stuff everyday.  I have moved 5 Flicka’s over the last couple of years, all with good results.  I transport Flicka’s because I own one.  I’m licensed with a USDOT number,  MC number and a CDL. I have a commercial auto policy with Progressive for 100K cargo,1M auto liability and 2.5M  general liability. I have both flatbed trailers (3x) and a Flicka specific trailer.

All the best.

CaptainJohn49
John Schubert
Owner
406 Hot Shot Ltd Co
Missoula, Montana
406-552-9112

Website:

On Mar 11, 2022, at 7:13 PM, Giacomo Bernardi via groups.io <bernardi@...> wrote:

We just got a Flicka on the east coast, and we live in California. The boat does not have a trailer and is on the hard. So we have several options: 1. Getting it shipped here. 2a buying a boat trailer and bringing her home ourselves, 2b buying a flatbed trailer with a cradle and driving her home. Any suggestions?--
Giacomo Bernardi
Professor, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of California Santa Cruz
Center for Ocean Health, Long Marine Lab
115 McAllistair Way
Santa Cruz, CA, 95060, USA

email: bernardi@...
http://bio.research.ucsc.edu/people/bernardi

Morris Parra

If you are not going to be trailering your Flicka regularly (like once or twice a year) once you get her to California, I would hire a boat transport service.  A trailer, or flatbed and cradle, is a big expense; and if you are not going to use it in California, it just becomes a wasting asset you have to store and maintain, or one you have to try to sell.  Also, if you are not experienced towing a big load, hauling it yourself could be a stressful nightmare, not a fun cross country drive.  If you will be using a trailer in California, you might still consider having a professional driver deliver your trailer mounted boat cross country, if you think the long distance haul might be a stressful undertaking.

I had a trailer, and I was comfortable towing my Flicka relatively short distances, but when it came to hauling it from Virginia to Florida, I hired a professional with a big pickup truck.
Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 9:18 PM Giacomo Bernardi via groups.io <bernardi=ucsc.edu@groups.io> wrote:
We just got a Flicka on the east coast, and we live in California. The boat does not have a trailer and is on the hard. So we have several options: 1. Getting it shipped here. 2a buying a boat trailer and bringing her home ourselves, 2b buying a flatbed trailer with a cradle and driving her home. Any suggestions?--
Giacomo Bernardi
Professor, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of California Santa Cruz
Center for Ocean Health, Long Marine Lab
115 McAllistair Way
Santa Cruz, CA, 95060, USA

email: bernardi@...
http://bio.research.ucsc.edu/people/bernardi

Carol Baker

Hi All,
I can vouch for Captain John. Last month it was a successful haul and all around uneventful day from Portland, OR, to Olympia, WA; a short ride in the scheme of things, but long enough for any problems to surface.  They did not.  I am so grateful.
Be sure you have a proper size heavy duty D-shackle for the stem to hook on to his cable.
Carol
s/v Nika #263

johnschubert0711@...

On Mar 11, 2022, at 7:13 PM, Giacomo Bernardi via groups.io <bernardi@...> wrote:

We just got a Flicka on the east coast, and we live in California. The boat does not have a trailer and is on the hard. So we have several options: 1. Getting it shipped here. 2a buying a boat trailer and bringing her home ourselves, 2b buying a flatbed trailer with a cradle and driving her home. Any suggestions?--
Giacomo Bernardi
Professor, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of California Santa Cruz
Center for Ocean Health, Long Marine Lab
115 McAllistair Way
Santa Cruz, CA, 95060, USA

email: bernardi@...
http://bio.research.ucsc.edu/people/bernardi

ED SEITZ

A trailer is a great accessory fora Flicka you can go straight to weather at 55 mph
In fortunately this is all in my distant past

On Mar 11, 2022, at 9:18 PM, Giacomo Bernardi via groups.io <bernardi@...> wrote:

We just got a Flicka on the east coast, and we live in California. The boat does not have a trailer and is on the hard. So we have several options: 1. Getting it shipped here. 2a buying a boat trailer and bringing her home ourselves, 2b buying a flatbed trailer with a cradle and driving her home. Any suggestions?--
Giacomo Bernardi
Professor, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of California Santa Cruz
Center for Ocean Health, Long Marine Lab
115 McAllistair Way
Santa Cruz, CA, 95060, USA

email: bernardi@...
http://bio.research.ucsc.edu/people/bernardi

Daryl Clark

First - CONGRATUALATIONS on your FLICKA OWNERSHIP -  Giacomo !

I trailered Ballo Lisco,  from Long Island back to Minnesota in 2007 after purchasing her and every year a round trip -  Minneapolis to Superior Wisconsin (stored locally near home) on a custom built Triad trailer with disc brakes. Tow vehicle was a 2007 Toyota Tundra with 5.8 liter engine and 4WD. Anything over 5000 pounds requires a properly installed load leveling hitch - and a properly loaded trailer.

The Tundra could haul it all day long at 70 miles an hour. Averaged about 12 miles per gallon - fully loaded.

So that is not a problem:  advise comes down to how you intend to use it.

Be aware, a new trailer will cost you upwards of $10k - depending on how you configure it.

Then you have to drive out East and pick up the trailer and drive back. At current gas prices, well you get the picture.

Daryl Clark
S/Y Intuition - PSC 31 # 54
Formerly s/y Flicka 433 - Ballo Liscio
S/Y Jackito - Dana 222

Giacomo Bernardi

Thank you all very much for your responses. Wow this is an amazing group. I think that I will have it trailered but someone else, yet at some point we will need a trailer as we plan to sail in the Sea of Cortez…. We have owned for many years a Catalina 22, and trailered her extensively, but while 2 feet longer it is less than half the weight !!! --
Giacomo Bernardi
Professor, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of California Santa Cruz
Center for Ocean Health, Long Marine Lab
115 McAllistair Way
Santa Cruz, CA, 95060, USA

email: bernardi@...
http://bio.research.ucsc.edu/people/bernardi

kiko villa

hi,

Where abouts in the East coast is your boat?
I'am looking to buy a Flicka but found
none for sale on the east coast but I did find
two for sale on the West coast.
One in WS and another in ID.

best
francis

On Saturday, March 12, 2022, 03:18:02 AM GMT+1, Giacomo Bernardi via groups.io <bernardi@...> wrote:

We just got a Flicka on the east coast, and we live in California. The boat does not have a trailer and is on the hard. So we have several options: 1. Getting it shipped here. 2a buying a boat trailer and bringing her home ourselves, 2b buying a flatbed trailer with a cradle and driving her home. Any suggestions?--
Giacomo Bernardi
Professor, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of California Santa Cruz
Center for Ocean Health, Long Marine Lab
115 McAllistair Way
Santa Cruz, CA, 95060, USA

email: bernardi@...
http://bio.research.ucsc.edu/people/bernardi

gabriel warren

On the topic of Flicka road delivery, on my watch my Flicka had two long distance road moves: Florida to Rhode Island, and a year later Rhode Island to Nova Scotia (after refit). In both cases I used Quality Drive Away in Indiana to pull my new Triad trailer. They have all kinds of insurance as well as transport tags. They did this for far less than I could have driven one way, let alone two, not counting trailer registration, which means taxes, insurance, my time, truck depreciation, etc. I couldn’t afford to do it myself. I don’t see another practical way, unless you enjoy road trip adventures.

Gabriel

On Mar 12, 2022, at 7:31 AM, kiko villa via groups.io <kikoyuca@...> wrote:

[...]

Liveaboard Life

Hello, Giacomo,

We towed our Flicka from Olympia, WA to San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico last October. We lived on her for the winter, and will be leaving her here for the summer in dry storage.

If you plan to take your Flicka out at the end of each season and tow her, you probably want your own trailer. But, if you're going to leave her in San Carlos, I suggest you have someone move her from her current home to SC for you.

If you have questions about bringing a boat into Mexico, storage in San Carlos, launching, or anything else, please ask.

Also, there are three Flickas in dry storage here at San Carlos Marina Seca. They look like they've been here a while and need some TLC. I also saw a Flicka at the dock at Marina La Paz that has not been off the dock in a year (or two?), according to other boaters. Contacting those marinas may lead to a boat available in the Sea of Cortez.

I hope we will see you in San Carlos!

Fair winds,
Noreen Light
Sweethaven
1983 Flicka

Ginger Clark

Hi Noreen and all
That Flicka a Marina La Paz that has not been out for a year or two is mine and is currently for sale because I haven’t had a chance to sail her and she needs to get out for sure!
She’s under the care of a shipwright and isn’t derelict or anything close. Just not getting the exercise she needs.
Anyone interested in Nomad, contact me and I’ll send info.  at:  ginger (dot) garnett @ gmail(dot)com.
Ginger

On Mar 12, 2022, at 9:28 AM, Liveaboard Life <Noreenlight@...> wrote:

[...]

1983 Flicka<20220309_134258.jpg>

CaptainJohn49

Daryl:

I see that you also have or have had, a Dana and a PSC 3.  Do you still have these or is the Dana the current love?  Have you trailered all three?  Sounds interested.  Your current trailer with disc brakes is what I’d love to have.  Disc brakes are the way to go; 2 of my 4 trailers have discs and they work great all the time.

Captain John 49

On Mar 11, 2022, at 9:59 PM, Daryl Clark <dlclark@...> wrote:

[...]

Matt Corwin

I have my Bristol Channel Cutter on the market and have been trying pretty hard to sell it, entertaining lots of talkative would be buyers without anything realy happening, just a lot of interest.
Recent events dictate that I can't keep both boats so I recently put my Flicka on the market although I am praying that the BCC28 goes first so I can keep my Flicka

Anyone interested should pm me for details

[...]

Richard G. Dunstall

Where is the Flicka located?

Richard Dunstall, Victoria, B.C.

On Saturday, March 12, 2022, 03:18:02 AM GMT+1, Giacomo Bernardi via groups.io <bernardi=ucsc.edu@groups.io> wrote:

We just got a Flicka on the east coast, and we live in California. The boat does not have a trailer and is on the hard. So we have several options: 1. Getting it shipped here. 2a buying a boat trailer and bringing her home ourselves, 2b buying a flatbed trailer with a cradle and driving her home. Any suggestions?--
Giacomo Bernardi
Professor, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of California Santa Cruz
Center for Ocean Health, Long Marine Lab
115 McAllistair Way
Santa Cruz, CA, 95060, USA

email: bernardi@...
http://bio.research.ucsc.edu/people/bernardi

Matt Corwin

My Flicka is in Maine

[...]

Thank you again for all the sound advice. The boat is owned by a close family friend who is retired. The boat is a 1986, and is located by the Chesapeake bay. We can’t wait to start some adventures!!!
we are located in Santa Cruz and plan to sail her down along the coast, into the Sea of Cortez, and then trailer her back at some point.

Thanks again so much
Giacomo and Nicole

Antonio Martinez

Where in the Chesapeake bay?
We are on Rappahannock ;-)

On Mar 12, 2022, at 11:22 AM, Giacomo Bernardi via groups.io <bernardi@...> wrote:

Thank you again for all the sound advice. The boat is owned by a close family friend who is retired. The boat is a 1986, and is located by the Chesapeake bay. We can’t wait to start some adventures!!!
we are located in Santa Cruz and plan to sail her down along the coast, into the Sea of Cortez, and then trailer her back at some point.

Thanks again so much
Giacomo and Nicole

Giacomo Bernardi

The boat is on St Patrick’s creek