Rudder to tiller wood 'cheeks'

Antonio Martinez

I'm not near boat at the moment, but realize I prob need to re-do tiller cheeks (is there a better name for them?).  IIRC they look like oak.  Does anyone know for certain?

I have some white oak on-hand and thought I might make new ones.  One thing I'm not sure is how to get a more golden color - I typically epoxy coat wood first and then varnish.  Other than by using tinted varnish, how can I tone down the wood's color?

Any other suggestions or insights?
thx

Matt Corwin

Hi, teak would be the best, mine measure 23 1/4" X 7" X 1" thick.
The trouble with white oak is that it does not like to hold varnish and paint, something to do with the acids in the wood that also gives it its rot resistance.
In wooden boats it is used for the frames because it is massively strong, bends well and is springy. It is usually finished with linseed oil and treated annually.
Any way I think you are right and the originals are white oak, it looks like my bowsprit is probably white oak too.
Mine are painted so I have no idea what they are but if I was making new ones I'd use teak to match the rest of the boat or maybe quarter sawed douglas fir.
I know a guy in Baltimore that has a lot of nice vintage teak if you are interested.

Best, Matt

I'm not near boat at the moment, but realize I prob need to re-do tiller cheeks (is there a better name for them?).  IIRC they look like oak.  Does anyone know for certain?

I have some white oak on-hand and thought I might make new ones.  One thing I'm not sure is how to get a more golden color - I typically epoxy coat wood first and then varnish.  Other than by using tinted varnish, how can I tone down the wood's color?

Any other suggestions or insights?
thx

Antonio Martinez

Hullo Matt,
Pic and dimensions help a lot.  Thanks!
I need to have them roughed out by Monday (heading to boat) so might just go with what I have (W.Oak).  I have some exotics on-hand but no Teak.  Also have plenty of NA hardwoods, but not sure I want to introduce yet another wood.
My thought is to maybe laminate them (two 1/2") with epoxy, paint them with epoxy, then Epiphanes them to death.  The oak I have on-hand is not quarter sawn (sort of flat sawn) so prob not an issue with strength/splitting but that's one location that has always seemed under a lot of torsional stress (yes, she's trimmed to sail with one finger but sometimes get's handled rough :-).

On Sat, Apr 2, 2022 at 12:25 PM Matt Corwin via groups.io <bongogram=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

It would also be a reasonable idea to use marine plywood for that purpose.
It could be sealed with epoxy and painted.

I'm not near boat at the moment, but realize I prob need to re-do tiller cheeks (is there a better name for them?).  IIRC they look like oak.  Does anyone know for certain?

I have some white oak on-hand and thought I might make new ones.  One thing I'm not sure is how to get a more golden color - I typically epoxy coat wood first and then varnish.  Other than by using tinted varnish, how can I tone down the wood's color?

Any other suggestions or insights?
thx

David Shook

Antonio
My hull #120 sat for 12 years and i easily cut new “rudder cheeks” from white oak and after three seasons it still looks good. I will prob put a sanding and varnishing this year.  I looks great and works soo i didn’t really care about the color…

DAVID SHOOK
Head Tennis Coach Emeritus
Lehigh University

On Apr 2, 2022, at 9:43 AM, Antonio Martinez <middleriverstudio@...> wrote:

I'm not near boat at the moment, but realize I prob need to re-do tiller cheeks (is there a better name for them?).  IIRC they look like oak.  Does anyone know for certain?

I have some white oak on-hand and thought I might make new ones.  One thing I'm not sure is how to get a more golden color - I typically epoxy coat wood first and then varnish.  Other than by using tinted varnish, how can I tone down the wood's color?

Any other suggestions or insights?
thx

Antonio Martinez

Thx ;-)

On Apr 2, 2022, at 9:54 PM, David Shook <dasf@...> wrote:

[...]

j_d_roberts2002

I replaced the cheeks on Thalassa in 2003 using white oak. The old cheeks had some early signs of rot in areas where water got in around some of the bolts. I coated the holes that I predrilled for the bolts with penetrating epoxy and the outside surfaces of the cheeks with epoxy. After applying 10 coats of schooner varnish, I seated the cheeks in bedding compound, and after it cured a bit, I cinched up the bolts. With occasional refreshing of the varnish, the cheeks still look great.

Fred C

I had new pintles casted out of bronze increasing the strap thickness as the upper cracked.  Had new cheeks cut from white oak and exposed to ammonia to give them a teak look.  Routed the cheeks to accommodate the thicker pintle straps.  Closely inspect rudder hardware as I have seen similar failures on other flicka's.

Fins up!  Flicka's rule!

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

I replaced the cheeks on Thalassa in 2003 using white oak. The old cheeks had some early signs of rot in areas where water got in around some of the bolts. I coated the holes that I predrilled for the bolts with penetrating epoxy and the outside surfaces of the cheeks with epoxy. After applying 10 coats of schooner varnish, I seated the cheeks in bedding compound, and after it cured a bit, I cinched up the bolts. With occasional refreshing of the varnish, the cheeks still look great.

David Shook

They are easy to make out of white oak

Coach Shook's iPhone
Lehigh University Tennis

Robert Collier

Beautiful!  'shows what can be done to a tired and worn out part of a legendary boat---
Bob