Mast wanted

Lynne Silva

My beloved 1980 PSC Flicka, Mira Jane, suffered damage in a late October storm last year. It was at a marina over the winter for repairs and due to be launched by early summer but due to labor shortages was still sitting on the hard in mid-August when, to add insult to injury, the marina had a major fire. The boat was at a remote location but unfortunately, the mast was stored in a shed that was destroyed.

I have only just begun the process of determining what will happen from here but I am hoping to at least be able to locate a used mast. It appears to be my only hope of sailing Mira Jane again.

if you have any information that might be helpful, I would appreciate it. Her home is on Marthas Vineyard Island, in Massachusetts and she is currently in Mattapoisett on the mainland.

Antonio Martinez

Very sorry to hear that...
Even if original spars are no longer made or available, at the end of the day, it's not rocket science. I would think you could adapt something - maybe even used.  Maybe someone near boat can take some measurements etc.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 7:46 AM Lynne Silva via groups.io <dasilvahouse99=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

My beloved 1980 PSC Flicka, Mira Jane, suffered damage in a late October storm last year. It was at a marina over the winter for repairs and due to be launched by early summer but due to labor shortages was still sitting on the hard in mid-August when, to add insult to injury, the marina had a major fire. The boat was at a remote location but unfortunately, the mast was stored in a shed that was destroyed.

I have only just begun the process of determining what will happen from here but I am hoping to at least be able to locate a used mast. It appears to be my only hope of sailing Mira Jane again.

if you have any information that might be helpful, I would appreciate it. Her home is on Marthas Vineyard Island, in Massachusetts and she is currently in Mattapoisett on the mainland.

Morris London

Also very sorry to hear that.  I assume that there's no insurance coverage since you're looking for a used mast.  If it helps, tonight or tomorrow I can post a copy of the mast drawing that came with my '83 model.  That would give you all the measurements you need.

Also, for what it's worth if it comes to this, you can replicate the entire Kenyon rig (what my boat was delivered with) at rigrite.com

MLL

Golden Crown, '83, #242

[...]

Joe Collins

Hello Lynne ,
Joe Collins here - I have a 1998 Flicka # 434 - just getting ready to take out of the water for the winter and taking the sails off tomorrow. If you want to use it to measure not a problem. I am at the Quonset Davisville Navy Yacht club in North Kingstown RI  - let me know would be happy to help you.

On Oct 27, 2022, at 9:55 AM, Morris London <morris_london@...> wrote:

[...]

Scott

Joe,

Your ’98 Flicka would likely have the later LeFiel (or other than Kenyon) spar, and the measurements differ from the earlier boats.  Pacific Seacraft makes note of this in their rigging spec sheets for the Flicka (I don’t have in front of me at the moment).  My 1990 Flicka has different measurements for the mast and all standing rigging as compared to my friend’s 1983.

Best,
Scott

[...]

Christopher Stevenson

Hello Lynne:
i may have a solution right next door that will possibly benefit us both
There’s a mast and gaff rig sail fir sale listed on wooden boat classified.

I’m about  to buy a 1983 Flicka-20 that’s in need of new sails; and would love to convert to Gaff.  He wants to sell as a pkg.  I just want the sails.  You need a mast. But… not sure if Gaff rig sails will fit on 1983 Flicka mast? Different rigging??

if this is a possible win/win… look up Wooden Boat Mag./classified  He’s next door in R.I.

cheers .

--
Christopher S.

Joe Collins

Thanks Scott

On Oct 27, 2022, at 5:05 PM, Christopher Stevenson <christostevenson@...> wrote:

Hello Lynne:
i may have a solution right next door that will possibly benefit us both
There’s a mast and gaff rig sail fir sale listed on wooden boat classified.

I’m about  to buy a 1983 Flicka-20 that’s in need of new sails; and would love to convert to Gaff.  He wants to sell as a pkg.  I just want the sails.  You need a mast. But… not sure if Gaff rig sails will fit on 1983 Flicka mast? Different rigging??

if this is a possible win/win… look up Wooden Boat Mag./classified  He’s next door in R.I.

cheers .

--
Christopher S.

Nick D

There are a lot of boats out there with similar size rigs but perhaps not as robust. I checked for you and an Oday 23 mast could be a good substitute. There are probably others. I've seen Oday 23s offered for free so you might be able to get a good deal on a derelict boat. it could be an economical temporary solution and why not permanent. I have often considered adapting an Oday Mariner rig which is pretty robust (as I know from punishing mine for 27 years of rugged racing) for the Flicka as a light cruising mast where we could open our sailing range if we could more easily lower it for a bridge in our area.  I know the Flicka mast can be raised and lowered somewhat easily, but I raise and lower about 15 masts every year at our club and I know where my comfort zone is having a 99% success rate. ;-)

Nick

On Thursday, October 27, 2022 at 08:47:43 PM EDT, Joe Collins <joemcollins007@...> wrote:

Thanks Scott

On Oct 27, 2022, at 5:05 PM, Christopher Stevenson <christostevenson@...> wrote:

Hello Lynne:
i may have a solution right next door that will possibly benefit us both
There’s a mast and gaff rig sail fir sale listed on wooden boat classified.

I’m about  to buy a 1983 Flicka-20 that’s in need of new sails; and would love to convert to Gaff.  He wants to sell as a pkg.  I just want the sails.  You need a mast. But… not sure if Gaff rig sails will fit on 1983 Flicka mast? Different rigging??

if this is a possible win/win… look up Wooden Boat Mag./classified  He’s next door in R.I.

cheers .

--
Christopher S.

Charlie Lewis

I have a mast from a 22ft sailboat it looks to be the same size as my Flicka.  The headsail from it is a direct fit.    I'm in Washington state.  I'd sell it for $100 plus shipping if that would help

Lynne Silva

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. You have given me a lot to think about and most of all, hope! I will be looking for an O’day mast. I’m afraid shipping from Washington state to Massachusetts might get expensive but thank you for the offer.

Matt Corwin

Mast wanted...

I have a nice mast and roller fuller located in Maine if your boat has a trailer you can bring it and I can rig it. I have my flicka mast on site so accurate comparisons are easy to make.
Matt

Lynne Silva

Thank you Matt however, I do not have a trailer and the boat is still awaiting work in Mattapoisett.