LEWMAR BOGO at West Marine

Daryl Clark

Greetings,

Just received a flyer from West Marine, they have their TWO FOR ONE / BOGO now on Lewmar winches.

Just in case anyone is looking for a set of winches. Usually includes the lovely bronze beauties we love!
--
Daryl Clark
S/Y Intuition - PSC 31 # 54
Formerly s/y Flicka 433 - Ballo Liscio
S/Y Jackito - Dana 222

SailorElliot

Thank you so much for the notice! Seems like bronze isn't available this time around. Would you recommend aluminum or chrome for saltwater ocean cruising? Same price...

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 7:12 AM Daryl Clark <dlclark@...> wrote:
Greetings,

Just received a flyer from West Marine, they have their TWO FOR ONE / BOGO now on Lewmar winches.

Just in case anyone is looking for a set of winches. Usually includes the lovely bronze beauties we love!
--
Daryl Clark
S/Y Jackito - Dana 222

--
Thanks,
Elliot

--
1985 Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20

SailorElliot

Sorry nevermind mistake I read it wrong, of course bronze is available!

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 7:36 AM Elliot Aron <elliotaron123@...> wrote:
Thank you so much for the notice! Seems like bronze isn't available this time around. Would you recommend aluminum or chrome for saltwater ocean cruising? Same price...

Greetings,

--
Daryl Clark
S/Y Jackito - Dana 222

--
Thanks,
Elliot

--
Thanks,
Elliot

--

Matt Corwin

I personally prefer the aluminum because of the weight difference.
It's good to keep the topside weight down as much as possible.
I have owned both versions and they both have nice appearances

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 3/3/22 10:37 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Flicka20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Flicka20] LEWMAR BOGO at West Marine

Greetings,

--
Daryl Clark
S/Y Jackito - Dana 222

--
Thanks,
Elliot

--

Shel Berkman

Thanks for sending this info out. I received it also today and getting my order together. Good idea to notify all Flicka owner. 👍

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022, 11:12 AM Daryl Clark <dlclark@...> wrote:
Greetings,

--
Daryl Clark
S/Y Jackito - Dana 222

Nick D

FYI, I have Lewmar 40ST which fit just fine on the cockpit coaming and work great! Bronze, of course!   Nick 

Matt Corwin

#16  is the only size that properly fits a Flicka.
Lewmar 40's were too big for my Contest 31 that I had many years ago and tried them on for size.
I think a 40 is for 1/2" and up line size

Date: 3/4/22 9:38 AM (GMT-05:00)

FYI, I have Lewmar 40ST which fit just fine on the cockpit coaming and work great! Bronze, of course!   Nick 

Laurence Holden

Oh! Thanks so much Matt! I have original Barlow non tailing but I'm not near boat to check size.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2022, 11:17 AM Matt Corwin via groups.io <bongogram=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Lewmar 40's were too big for my Contest 31 that I had many years ago and tried them on for size.

SailorElliot

Would Lewmar #14 work rather than the 16....it. is a lot cheaper? I'm willing to do the #16 if it'd fit better though.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2022 at 8:43 AM Laurence Holden <art.laurence.holden@...> wrote:
Oh! Thanks so much Matt! I have original Barlow non tailing but I'm not near boat to check size.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2022, 11:17 AM Matt Corwin via groups.io <bongogram=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

--
Thanks,
Elliot

--

Priscilla Wheatley

I no longer have the boat with the beautiful bronze winches.  Unlike most owners of yachts with beautiful bronze winches I have THE ORIGINAL Lewmar matching bronze winch handle.  Most of them around this portion of the yachting world are safely stored on the muddy bottom of the Gulf of Maine.  Since they are not magnetic I doubt they will be recovered.  Mine is on the brick mantle on the hearth above the propane-fired wood stove.  It was safe until the new cat arrived and went exploring.  It landed nicely, no damage, and didn't hit anything.  I took the advice of a couple of people:  buy an el-cheapo handle and put the Lewmar some place safe, like at home.  

I didn't realize the Gulf of Maine extended from Massachusetts to Nova Scotia.  That is why I talk about learning to sail in Maine, even though I first learned to sail as a kid on Cape Cod, the elbow peninsula sticking out of Massachusetts.  There are so many lovely sand beaches with a couple of feet of tides every 6 hours.  
Here in mid-Coast Maine they are 10-12 feet.  Downeast at the Canadian border, where I spent a couple of weeks on my 50th birthday cruise, they reach 20 feet.  You definitely have to take them into account when you plan a day's sail.  Head to the Bay of Fundy and you are between the coast of New Brunswick and the west coast of Nova Scotia.  They reach 50 feet, highest in the world and they change (ebb and flood) every 6 hours.  The Gulf of Maine is getting warmer at about .75° every decade.  My friend the schooner captain said the best cruising grounds in the world are the coast of Maine and the Aegean Sea. 

For your bucket list:

"The Gulf of Maine is a dynamic, changing ecosystem. Bordered by the northeastern United States and the Canadian Maritime Provinces, the Gulf of Maine is one of the largest semi-enclosed coastal seas in North America. It is recognized as one of the world’s richest marine ecosystems with various marine and estuarine habitats, such as salt marshes, seagrass beds, tidal mud flats, underwater rocky outcrops, and kelp beds. Over 10 million people live in the Gulf of Maine watershed. Along its western and northern shores lie the cities and towns of coastal Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. The Gulf has supported a long tradition of fishing, marine transportation, coastal development, and recreation, and continues to be a valuable resource for the people who live and work in the region."

Matt Corwin

No, the #14is not even in the same class as the ocean series 16, 30, 40 etc

I mean, in reality almost any winch will "work" but if it is to be correctly proportiond to the size of the boat and its respective rope sizes, the 16 is the right winch. 

One of the great things about the Lewmar Ocean is ease of maintenance,  no tools are required to disassemble the winch drums for servicing. This is actually a realy big deal considering the infrequently that we see boaters actually doing this extremely important maintenance. I believe that the lack of attention is greatly due to the slight complexity of parts in regular winches but these are very very easy to work on.
That said, it's a good idea to get a plastic food storage container that you can cut a hole in the bottom big enough to fit over the winch so when you work on them, the parts don't bounce overboard.
I have#16 Lewmar on my boat now but am going to install some Barient #17's that I  have, they are only slightly bigger but are really the maximum size for Flicka, they are superior winches but are no longer made so parts are a problem. I also have a spare.
If money is a big priority, it's pretty easy to find nice non-self-tailing #16 size winches on ebay or in salvage stores etc. And, you can probably get away with a slightly bigger winch because without the self tailing apparatice adding 1" to the height...
The standard jam-cleats that should be stock on your boat are fast and easy to use, we don't realy super duper need selftailers  it's a luxury!
Final word, you can't go wrong with the black alloy #16st at the two for one price, last I checked they were under 600
Buy them in New Hampshire and save the tax

Matt

Date: 3/4/22 12:19 PM (GMT-05:00)

Would Lewmar #14 work rather than the 16....it. is a lot cheaper? I'm willing to do the #16 if it'd fit better though.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2022 at 8:43 AM Laurence Holden <art.laurence.holden@...> wrote:

--
Thanks,
Elliot

--

Nick D

Image.jpegImage.jpeg
The 40 st s are visible in these photos from a few other angles. Variant winches of a similar size are in the original specs..    Nick
Get Outlook for iOS

Matt Corwin

Lewmat 16 is larger than the stock oem Flicka winches, that is a fact
Next I will send a picture of Lewmar 16 ST's with the stock winches I removed from my Flicka

Date: 3/6/22 9:35 AM (GMT-05:00)

Image.jpegImage.jpeg
The 40 st s are visible in these photos from a few other angles. Variant winches of a similar size are in the original specs..    Nick
Get Outlook for iOS

Matt Corwin

in the foreground the original Barlow 15's and second row is earlier version Lewmar 16st on left and Lewmar Ocean 16st on right, behind is Barient 17, a much heavier winch perhaps twice the weight of the alloy Ocean.no tools!

Image.jpegImage.jpeg
Get Outlook for iOS

John Sandberg

Evo vs Ocean series?

On Mar 6, 2022, at 9:02 AM, Matt Corwin via groups.io <bongogram@...> wrote:

in the foreground the original Barlow 15's and second row is earlier version Lewmar 16st on left and Lewmar Ocean 16st on right, behind is Barient 17, a much heavier winch perhaps twice the weight of the alloy Ocean.no tools!

Image.jpegImage.jpeg
Get Outlook for iOS

Matt Corwin

Ocean is more heavy duty, Evo is kind of modern looking and more suited to keelboats than traditional yachts.
The bronze oceans are very pretty, I had one on my desk for years it was so pretty.

Matt

Date: 3/6/22 1:45 PM (GMT-05:00)

Evo vs Ocean series?

Get Outlook for iOS

John Sandberg

Thanks Matt!

On Mar 6, 2022, at 1:16 PM, Matt Corwin via groups.io <bongogram@...> wrote:

Ocean is more heavy duty, Evo is kind of modern looking and more suited to keelboats than traditional yachts.
The bronze oceans are very pretty, I had one on my desk for years it was so pretty.

Matt

Date: 3/6/22 1:45 PM (GMT-05:00)

Evo vs Ocean series?

Get Outlook for iOS

Matt Corwin

There is a pair of #30's bronze on ebay for 500 bucks

Image.jpegImage.jpeg
Get Outlook for iOS

Daryl Clark

I believe the standard winches were #16 for primaries and #8 for halyards, reefing lines, and staysail sheets.

On Ballo Liscio, the primaries are #16 ST and bronze ( a thing of beauty for sure - rising to the level of ART) - and they had plenty of power for the task. Always felt that if running a staysail, another set of #8's on the cockpit coaming would be necessary in the end; as the standard sheeting for the staysail was just outboard of the cabin house.

--
Daryl Clark
S/Y Jackito - Dana 222

Matt Corwin

Hello Nick, is the wood arch over the companionway hatch a mainsheet track?

Image.jpegImage.jpeg
Get Outlook for iOS