Forward Hatch Request

Tom

The original lid on my boat needs replacement. The plastic molding in one corner which holds the clamp in place has completely broken and the other side is cracked. The cover is labeled 'Gray Enterprises Tampa, FL 33674'. The main body of the hatch is sound, weathertight and the hardware in good shape. I would like to put off a complete replacement due to costs and issues with getting a good fit for now. So, my hope is that someone has a replacement hatch lid which I can buy. I will pay for the shipping as well and if you are close to the Chesapeake, I may be able to pick it up. Just pondering options after researching costs for a new hatch and reading about install fit issues. Thanks.

Tom
Hull 147

Antonio Martinez

Probably doesn't help you but just in case:  we replaced our factory (1980) Bomar last year.  The old one could easily be refurb (needs plexi and gaskets, both of which can be sourced) and would cleanup with a powdercoat job, all of which would fall waaay short of replacement/new which is well over $1k.  It's heavy and bluewater-worthy, so shipping would be the biggest issue.  I would take a relative pittance for it :-}   Avail in VA/Ches Bay...

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 11:14 AM Tom via groups.io <kocarc=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
The original lid on my boat needs replacement. The plastic molding in one corner which holds the clamp in place has completely broken and the other side is cracked. The cover is labeled 'Gray Enterprises Tampa, FL 33674'. The main body of the hatch is sound, weathertight and the hardware in good shape. I would like to put off a complete replacement due to costs and issues with getting a good fit for now. So, my hope is that someone has a replacement hatch lid which I can buy. I will pay for the shipping as well and if you are close to the Chesapeake, I may be able to pick it up. Just pondering options after researching costs for a new hatch and reading about install fit issues. Thanks.

Tom
Hull 147

Tom

Thanks for the reply and offer, Antonio. Let me get back to you after giving it some thought. Bomar got back to me and recommended a replacement hatch but as I recall you found the radius at corners not a match and its costly. Trying to avoid disturbing the headliner which is in pristine shape. Just don't want another huge undertaking at this time so your old hatch has me thinking and I am on MD side of the Delmarva. Again, nice of you and much appreciated.