From: "Kevin Mcgrath via groups.io" <kevinmcgrath730@...>
Date: 4/4/22 3:16 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Flicka 20 Group <flicka20@groups.io>
Subject: [Flicka20] Breaking down and cleaning Barlow's.

Clean drum bearings (white plastic) with W-D? Wipe thoroughly and let them dry? Winches have not been done in many years if ever. All areas that got grease have hardened. Scraping with pick and W-D. Lewmar kit is good with instructions but this winch is stone age simple compared to models in the booklet. Oil to pawls and drum bearing.....nothing else?

Kevin Mcgrath <kevinmcgrath730@...>

Can I get by using lewmar pawl springs? They seem to work fine. Lewmar kit has Almost enough to do 4 winches. Fisheries Supply has Barlow springs but they are $2.84 a piece !  Lewmars are 18 cents a piece.

On Monday, April 4, 2022, 04:40:14 PM EDT, Matt Corwin via groups.io <bongogram@...> wrote:

Clean winch parts in kerosene, tub and brush method, wash under scalding hot water tap and if you have an airgun blow everything out to dry. When you get the parts hot with the hot water rinse, they will dry pretty fast just from the retained heat in the metal.
Bearings get packed with winch grease while pawls get a little light oil.
Do not use heavy oil or grease on pawls, do not use oil on drum bearings.
The basic routine is the same for old primitive winches or more modern, complicated winches.
Also, WD40 is not an efficient degreaser and the parts should be at least partially submerged in solvent to get the hardened grease out, it would be a big waste of wd40, you'd have to use allot.

Matt