Looks for tips on two subjects - heating, and tips #advice

Edited

Sorry, subject line should read: "Looking for tips on two subjects - heating and paintwork"

*****

I'm looking for input on two unconnected things but thought I would reduce the load on people's inboxes by lumping them together.

Heating: I have a small space heater that runs off shore power, and I've been reading up on diesel heaters e.g. Webasto, but does anyone have any experience with tiny stoves to burn wood or other fuel? Something like this looks like it might just fit against the compression post with the middle cushion removed from the V berth. If anyone has any positive experiences or disastrous lessons learned from cast-iron stoves, I'm all ears.

Paint: Following some less-than-competent chain handling on a swinging mooring there are some ugly (and embarrassing)  scratches on the topsides, a couple of which have gone through the lovely blue-black original paint of hull no. 423 and are showing white. How can I set about getting a paint match, and will it show up horribly if I just try to touch it up and buff in the edges? How urgently do I need to do this to avoid any damage to the GRP? (Bearing in mind they are nasty scratches, but there are no dents or cracks)

Thanks to all, once again! (and happy to make a contribution to the group's admin costs of course)

Antonio Martinez

When you say 'blue black paint' I assume you mean gelcoat?
If yes, then just touch up with gelcoat and buff out...

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 5:58 AM Chris <c.s.dickson@...> wrote:

Hi all,

[...]

Yep that’s what I was on about. OK thanks Antonio, just to get a colour match now…

On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 at 12:43, Antonio Martinez <middleriverstudio@...> wrote:
[...]

Gelcoat can be a PIA - it 'kicks' quickly, clogs spray equip, hard to buy in small quantities (tho there are repair kits?), but it's the real deal.  I'd clean up edges of scratches and brush on with artist's brushes.  Then mask off area and sand down to match surrounding surfaces.  Color match is the challenge tho you can buy tints and custom mix.
Good luck!  Dark color hulls (ours is green) can be a challenge :-p

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 6:47 AM Chris <c.s.dickson@...> wrote:
[...]

gabriel warren

Chris— You also ask about heaters. I know some Flickas have diesel heaters, but I have no experience there. But my instinct is that they would have to go somewhere, and there are not many elegant sites for that on a ship the size of ours. I designed in a solid fuel stove on the 11.000# 26’ foot schooner I designed and built: a two burner Shipmate ‘Skippy’, but I had more room available. I would counsel against attempting that on a Flicka: I see no way that it would not be quite dangerous both to the boat and her crew. On my Flicka I simply carry a 1/8” piece of stainless 8” square, which I put over one of the burners on the Origo to drive out the clamminess that fog can bring. Our cabins are so small that it doesn’t take long. This approach is an easy experiment to run, if you wish to try it: it involves no expense, no holes in the boat, and no time investment.

Good luck,

Gabriel

On Oct 22, 2021, at 6:47 AM, Chris <c.s.dickson@...> wrote:

[...]

William Huesmann

And another solution which I found convenient for my 17' "egg" camper:

I've not used it on the Dana, but see no reason it wouldn't work just as well.

And no, I don't have any connection to either the manufacturer or Amazon.   Just what worked for me.

Cheers...and I hope you can enjoy a long(er) sailing season!

Bill Huesmann
S/V MORNING STAR (Dana 139)
Gulf Shores, AL

"Much as I love sailing, I'm not all that interested in going off sailing 'round the world --- though there are some who certainly wish I would." <W. Huesmann>

--
Bill Huesmann
MORNING STAR (Dana 139)

Antonio Martinez

I like the idea of a pc of metal.  I have also heard of an inverted terracotta flower pot over the burner.

On Oct 22, 2021, at 9:03 AM, gabriel warren <gabriel@...> wrote:

[...]

I love the idea of the pot. The raised profile would radiate some infrared heat around the room in addition to the convection. The small hole would accelerate the stream of heated air, increasing circulation. And the lower conductivity of the material would make it a bit less of a burn hazard. Thanks Antonio.

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 4:42 PM Antonio Martinez <middleriverstudio@...> wrote:
[...]

Reminder to self:  must try out pot which came with boat and which we've never bothered to test.  LOL
Good luck and report back!

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 10:45 AM Chris <c.s.dickson@...> wrote:
[...]

The terra cotta flower pot is nice as a hypothesis, and perhaps in practice too if the boat is never untied, but in the real world things like that tend tohave a short half-life on a boat that is actually out there. Plus it is one more hard to stow item. If your Flicka is not getting slapped around at least a bit, she is not being used to her best advantage.

Gabriel

On Oct 22, 2021, at 11:17 AM, Antonio Martinez <middleriverstudio@...> wrote:

[...]

Ours came with a pot, stowed under the sink.  Still there and I recon it’s been jostled a bit 😂
It would only come out at anchor so I don’t see any issues.  We have real coffee mugs, and other breakables on board…. Truth is when using boat in slip, we plug in elec heater.  Shoulder season we just use good bedding.

On Oct 22, 2021, at 12:52 PM, gabriel warren <gabriel@...> wrote:

[...]

That's a fair point Gabriel. I guess it's a good sign then that I broke two bowls when they slipped free of the storm boards crossing the Solent last week.

But if it's just a small-ish pot it could go safely under the sink, and come out at anchor or when moored.

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 6:52 PM gabriel warren <gabriel@...> wrote:
[...]

Matt Corwin

I am definitely going to try that trick

[...]

After living aboard for 2 1/2 years from the sea of Cortez  to Canada in our Flicka Wu Wei in the 80's we found in the N.W. the biggest problem was condensation not heating the boat. We had a bulkhead mounted kero heater vented thru the cabin top and a kero cook stove. We tried the pot idea and it worked fine as long as long as you used the pot clamps that should have came with the stove. Two people give out a lot of body moisture!

this <https://anevaystoves.com/products/the-shepherd-stove> looks like
[...]

Alcohol also makes plenty of steam when burned, kerosene is hottest and lowest in moisture, propane next and alcohol a distant third when competing for making the most condensation

After living aboard for 2 1/2 years from the sea of Cortez  to Canada in
our Flicka Wu Wei in the 80's we found in the N.W. the biggest problem
was condensation not heating the boat. We had a bulkhead mounted kero
heater vented thru the cabin top and a kero cook stove. We tried the pot
idea and it worked fine as long as long as you used the pot clamps that
should have came with the stove. Two people give out a lot of body moisture!

On 10/22/2021 8:17 AM, Antonio Martinez wrote:
> Reminder to self:  must try out pot which came with boat and which we've
> never bothered to test.  LOL
> Good luck and report back!
>
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 10:45 AM Chris <c.s.dickson@...> wrote:
>
>> I love the idea of the pot. The raised profile would radiate some infrared
>> heat around the room in addition to the convection. The small hole would
>> accelerate the stream of heated air, increasing circulation. And the lower
>> conductivity of the material would make it a bit less of a burn hazard.
>> Thanks Antonio.
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 4:42 PM Antonio Martinez <
>> middleriverstudio@...> wrote:
>>
>>> I like the idea of a pc of metal.  I have also heard of an inverted
>>> terracotta flower pot over the burner.
>>>
>>> On Oct 22, 2021, at 9:03 AM, gabriel warren <gabriel@...>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Chris— You also ask about heaters. I know some Flickas have diesel
>>> heaters, but I have no experience there. But my instinct is that they would
>>> have to go somewhere, and there are not many elegant sites for that on a
>>> ship the size of ours. I designed in a solid fuel stove on the 11.000# 26’
>>> foot schooner I designed and built: a two burner Shipmate ‘Skippy’, but I
>>> had more room available. I would counsel against attempting that on a
>>> Flicka: I see no way that it would not be quite dangerous both to the boat
>>> and her crew. On my Flicka I simply carry a 1/8” piece of stainless 8”
>>> square, which I put over one of the burners on the Origo to drive out the
>>> clamminess that fog can bring. Our cabins are so small that it doesn’t take
>>> long. This approach is an easy experiment to run, if you wish to try it: it
>>> involves no expense, no holes in the boat, and no time investment.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> Gabriel
>>>

>>> On Oct 22, 2021, at 6:47 AM, Chris <c.s.dickson@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yep that’s what I was on about. OK thanks Antonio, just to get a colour
>>> match now…

ED SEITZ

Propane worked great

On Oct 22, 2021, at 2:58 PM, Matt Corwin via groups.io <bongogram@...> wrote:

Alcohol also makes plenty of steam when burned, kerosene is hottest and lowest in moisture, propane next and alcohol a distant third when competing for making the most condensation

After living aboard for 2 1/2 years from the sea of Cortez  to Canada in
our Flicka Wu Wei in the 80's we found in the N.W. the biggest problem
was condensation not heating the boat. We had a bulkhead mounted kero
heater vented thru the cabin top and a kero cook stove. We tried the pot
idea and it worked fine as long as long as you used the pot clamps that
should have came with the stove. Two people give out a lot of body moisture!

On 10/22/2021 8:17 AM, Antonio Martinez wrote:
> Reminder to self:  must try out pot which came with boat and which we've
> never bothered to test.  LOL
> Good luck and report back!
>
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 10:45 AM Chris <c.s.dickson@...> wrote:
>
>> I love the idea of the pot. The raised profile would radiate some infrared
>> heat around the room in addition to the convection. The small hole would
>> accelerate the stream of heated air, increasing circulation. And the lower
>> conductivity of the material would make it a bit less of a burn hazard.
>> Thanks Antonio.
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 4:42 PM Antonio Martinez <
>> middleriverstudio@...> wrote:
>>
>>> I like the idea of a pc of metal.  I have also heard of an inverted
>>> terracotta flower pot over the burner.
>>>
>>> On Oct 22, 2021, at 9:03 AM, gabriel warren <gabriel@...>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Chris— You also ask about heaters. I know some Flickas have diesel
>>> heaters, but I have no experience there. But my instinct is that they would
>>> have to go somewhere, and there are not many elegant sites for that on a
>>> ship the size of ours. I designed in a solid fuel stove on the 11.000# 26’
>>> foot schooner I designed and built: a two burner Shipmate ‘Skippy’, but I
>>> had more room available. I would counsel against attempting that on a
>>> Flicka: I see no way that it would not be quite dangerous both to the boat
>>> and her crew. On my Flicka I simply carry a 1/8” piece of stainless 8”
>>> square, which I put over one of the burners on the Origo to drive out the
>>> clamminess that fog can bring. Our cabins are so small that it doesn’t take
>>> long. This approach is an easy experiment to run, if you wish to try it: it
>>> involves no expense, no holes in the boat, and no time investment.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> Gabriel
>>>

>>> On Oct 22, 2021, at 6:47 AM, Chris <c.s.dickson@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yep that’s what I was on about. OK thanks Antonio, just to get a colour
>>> match now…

gabriel warren

Alcohol is also the only fuel whose conflagration is extinguishable with water. Now that we no longer use pressurized fuel tanks, that is to me a pretty overwhelming safety consideration.

On Oct 22, 2021, at 3:22 PM, ED SEITZ via groups.io <ed66here@...> wrote:

<image0.jpeg>
Propane worked great

On Oct 22, 2021, at 2:58 PM, Matt Corwin via groups.io <bongogram@...> wrote:

Alcohol also makes plenty of steam when burned, kerosene is hottest and lowest in moisture, propane next and alcohol a distant third when competing for making the most condensation

After living aboard for 2 1/2 years from the sea of Cortez  to Canada in
our Flicka Wu Wei in the 80's we found in the N.W. the biggest problem
was condensation not heating the boat. We had a bulkhead mounted kero
heater vented thru the cabin top and a kero cook stove. We tried the pot
idea and it worked fine as long as long as you used the pot clamps that
should have came with the stove. Two people give out a lot of body moisture!

On 10/22/2021 8:17 AM, Antonio Martinez wrote:
> Reminder to self:  must try out pot which came with boat and which we've
> never bothered to test.  LOL
> Good luck and report back!
>
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 10:45 AM Chris <c.s.dickson@...> wrote:
>
>> I love the idea of the pot. The raised profile would radiate some infrared
>> heat around the room in addition to the convection. The small hole would
>> accelerate the stream of heated air, increasing circulation. And the lower
>> conductivity of the material would make it a bit less of a burn hazard.
>> Thanks Antonio.
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 4:42 PM Antonio Martinez <
>> middleriverstudio@...> wrote:
>>
>>> I like the idea of a pc of metal.  I have also heard of an inverted
>>> terracotta flower pot over the burner.
>>>
>>> On Oct 22, 2021, at 9:03 AM, gabriel warren <gabriel@...>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Chris— You also ask about heaters. I know some Flickas have diesel
>>> heaters, but I have no experience there. But my instinct is that they would
>>> have to go somewhere, and there are not many elegant sites for that on a
>>> ship the size of ours. I designed in a solid fuel stove on the 11.000# 26’
>>> foot schooner I designed and built: a two burner Shipmate ‘Skippy’, but I
>>> had more room available. I would counsel against attempting that on a
>>> Flicka: I see no way that it would not be quite dangerous both to the boat
>>> and her crew. On my Flicka I simply carry a 1/8” piece of stainless 8”
>>> square, which I put over one of the burners on the Origo to drive out the
>>> clamminess that fog can bring. Our cabins are so small that it doesn’t take
>>> long. This approach is an easy experiment to run, if you wish to try it: it
>>> involves no expense, no holes in the boat, and no time investment.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> Gabriel
>>>

>>> On Oct 22, 2021, at 6:47 AM, Chris <c.s.dickson@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yep that’s what I was on about. OK thanks Antonio, just to get a colour
>>> match now…

GABRIEL WARREN-- SCULPTOR

720 King's Factory Rd
Charlestown
Rhode Island USA 02813
401.364.0087

7984 Rt. 337
Antigonish Nova Scotia
B2G 2L1 Canada
902.863.5822

Antonio Martinez

One downside with using the Origio alcohol stove to heat with, is that when cold we of course like to keep the boat buttoned-up.  Alcohol stoves produce CO and should definitely not be used w/out adequate ventilation.

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 4:39 PM gabriel warren <gabriel@...> wrote:
> [...]

>>> ship the size of ours. I designed in a solid fuel stove on the 11.000# 26’
>>> foot schooner I designed and built: a two burner Shipmate ‘Skippy’, but I
>>> had more room available. I would counsel against attempting that on a
>>> Flicka: I see no way that it would not be quite dangerous both to the boat
>>> and her crew. On my Flicka I simply carry a 1/8” piece of stainless 8”
>>> square, which I put over one of the burners on the Origo to drive out the
>>> clamminess that fog can bring. Our cabins are so small that it doesn’t take
>>> long. This approach is an easy experiment to run, if you wish to try it: it
>>> involves no expense, no holes in the boat, and no time investment.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> Gabriel
>>>

>>> On Oct 22, 2021, at 6:47 AM, Chris <c.s.dickson@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yep that’s what I was on about. OK thanks Antonio, just to get a colour

Back in the 90's I had my first Origo in my O'Day 272 and I was surprised how well it cooked but when it was raining and I had to keep the boat boarded up it gave me a headache but like Antonio said, it is the safest fuel so I would not consider anything else for the Flicka.
On the bigger boats I have run the Taylor's parrafin stoves, they burn hotter than any other options but they can be fussy to get running, the burner must be properly pre heated to get a clean flame and a couple of times I had crew members soot the place up.
I would not have propane due to the complexity of the system and the associated risk of explosions unless it was a very large yacht.
Another advantage of a kero-cooker is that the fuel can be shared with lamps and engine.

After living aboard for 2 1/2 years from the sea of Cortez  to Canada in
our Flicka Wu Wei in the 80's we found in the N.W. the biggest problem
was condensation not heating the boat. We had a bulkhead mounted kero
heater vented thru the cabin top and a kero cook stove. We tried the pot
idea and it worked fine as long as long as you used the pot clamps that
should have came with the stove. Two people give out a lot of body moisture!

On 10/22/2021 8:17 AM, Antonio Martinez wrote:
> Reminder to self:  must try out pot which came with boat and which we've
> never bothered to test.  LOL
> Good luck and report back!
>
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 10:45 AM Chris <c.s.dickson@...> wrote:
>
>> I love the idea of the pot. The raised profile would radiate some infrared
>> heat around the room in addition to the convection. The small hole would
>> accelerate the stream of heated air, increasing circulation. And the lower
>> conductivity of the material would make it a bit less of a burn hazard.
>> Thanks Antonio.
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 4:42 PM Antonio Martinez <
>> middleriverstudio@...> wrote:
>>
>>> I like the idea of a pc of metal.  I have also heard of an inverted
>>> terracotta flower pot over the burner.
>>>
>>> On Oct 22, 2021, at 9:03 AM, gabriel warren <gabriel@...>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Chris— You also ask about heaters. I know some Flickas have diesel
>>> heaters, but I have no experience there. But my instinct is that they would
>>> have to go somewhere, and there are not many elegant sites for that on a
>>> ship the size of ours. I designed in a solid fuel stove on the 11.000# 26’
>>> foot schooner I designed and built: a two burner Shipmate ‘Skippy’, but I
>>> had more room available. I would counsel against attempting that on a
>>> Flicka: I see no way that it would not be quite dangerous both to the boat
>>> and her crew. On my Flicka I simply carry a 1/8” piece of stainless 8”
>>> square, which I put over one of the burners on the Origo to drive out the
>>> clamminess that fog can bring. Our cabins are so small that it doesn’t take
>>> long. This approach is an easy experiment to run, if you wish to try it: it
>>> involves no expense, no holes in the boat, and no time investment.
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>>
>>> Gabriel
>>>

>>> On Oct 22, 2021, at 6:47 AM, Chris <c.s.dickson@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yep that’s what I was on about. OK thanks Antonio, just to get a colour
>>> match now…

GABRIEL WARREN-- SCULPTOR

720 King's Factory Rd
Charlestown
Rhode Island USA 02813
401.364.0087

7984 Rt. 337
Antigonish Nova Scotia
B2G 2L1 Canada
902.863.5822

Nick D

I use acrylic art paint to touch up the inevitable small scratches in our dark green topsides. Can be mixed to match. Looks fine from 10 ft. Easy and quick. Surprisingly durable. Nick