From: Chris <c.s.dickson@...>
Date: 9/11/21 5:14 AM (GMT-04:00)
To: Flicka20@groups.io
Subject: [Flicka20] Rigging an asymmetrical spinnaker? #advice

Hi again all - thanks for all the great tips on previous questions, very helpful.

I have the very good fortune of having just bought a Flicka with an asymmetrical spinnaker. I'm wondering what the best way of rigging the tack of it to the bowsprit is? In particular to allow for easy/safe retrieval, and poling out on either side as needed.

I've read and watched a bunch of stuff online, and it seems like the way to go might be: a block at the end of the bowsprit with a line to the foredeck, two more lines for the port and starboard guys, and another (lighter?) line to the deck for retrieval. Any thoughts? I had the idea of getting one of the guys to double as a retrieval line but somehow that feels like potential trouble...

S W Norwood III

I rigged an asymmetrical on “Jubilee”, a late PSC Flicka that I sailed from South Carolina to Nova Scotia in 2010. Here’s what I did:
  • Fitted a Seldon bowsprit that would extend a couple of feet beyond the original platform sprit. The idea is to get some space beyond the genny so that I could fly them both in light air. Lee helm was not a problem. In the retrieved position, the Seldon did not extend beyond the original sprit. The Seldon did occupy the starboard side off the platform sprit. The port side was for the anchor.
  • Got a sock for the spinnaker. This allows for easy hoist and retrieval. Raise the spinnaker in the sock, then raise the sock. Reverse for take-down. I could do this single-handing. The spinnaker over-powered at above 10 kts.
  • I used a Forespar telescoping whisker pole with line control so I could extend or shorten at the mast. These are pricey but well worth the cost if you care about proper sail set. I used it for the genny and the spinnaker interchangeably.
  • The tack line went through the Seldon to a block on the deck and thence along the toe rail blocks on the port side (the genny roller-reefing line was on the starboard side).
  • I did not take the asymmetrical on long voyages because (a) it occupies a lot of valuable space below, (b) offshore the wind is rarely light enough to make it useful, and (c) safety trumps speed on voyages.

On a broad reach in 8 to 10 kts of breeze, the asymmetrical, with the genny also pulling, puts a lot of zest into a Flicka.

Woody

On Sep 11, 2021, at 5:14 AM, Chris <c.s.dickson@...> wrote:

Hi again all - thanks for all the great tips on previous questions, very helpful.

I have the very good fortune of having just bought a Flicka with an asymmetrical spinnaker. I'm wondering what the best way of rigging the tack of it to the bowsprit is? In particular to allow for easy/safe retrieval, and poling out on either side as needed.

I've read and watched a bunch of stuff online, and it seems like the way to go might be: a block at the end of the bowsprit with a line to the foredeck, two more lines for the port and starboard guys, and another (lighter?) line to the deck for retrieval. Any thoughts? I had the idea of getting one of the guys to double as a retrieval line but somehow that feels like potential trouble...

Nick D

I use a sock to launch and retrieve. Helpful and safe.

Antonio Martinez

Same here.  Sock and a long pendant made from a climbing runner (sewn loop) girth hitched to block on one end and to the sprit on other.  The spin has a pendant as well so even tho runner is aft of forestay, it places the tack in a nice location .  Also the spin has a ‘cummerbund’ that goes around the reefed jib.

On Sep 11, 2021, at 8:46 AM, Nick D <sailvela@...> wrote:

I use a sock to launch and retrieve. Helpful and safe.

Jay Cushman

Woody’s right: flying an asymmetrical on a Flicka is a blast. I had ATN in Florida make up the snuffer; you can have the continuous line made to any length, and I’d suggest you consider leading it back to the cockpit. That will require a couple of snatch blocks to attach to the bow pulpit and some furling line hardware to attach to the stanchions. Selden, incidentally, makes such a device with a rotating retainer clip that makes it easy to insert-remove the line. Good luck, Jay

Ex S/V REDUX. #156

--
SV REDUX
Swan’s Island, ME

Antonio Martinez

BTW, here's a pic that I think show setup pretty clearly.  Note the sail tack goes to a block which is girth hitched behind the furler.  You can adjust sail shape by raising (lossening) or lowering (shortening) the line from the tack which is fed aft to wherever is convenient.  The strap (I call it a cumerbund) keeps the tack slightly ahead of the forestay.  We only use a single sheet, mostly to keep the clutter from dragging in the water (the windward sheet would have to go all the way forward and around the forestay...).  But it's long enough that you can feed it all the way around when tacking the sail.  Since the kite sail is usually used on a long downwind run, there's not a lot of tacking as when beating to windward, so it's not a big deal for someone to go forward and walk the sail around etc.

I suppose you could permanently mount a turning block on sprit but one advantage of the pennant/sling is that it makes the run of line back to the coachhouse more fair by rasing iti up (visible in pic).  The disadvantage is that rigging the sail takes another minute or two.

Not visible in pic is that sail sheet goes all the way back to a block attached at stern cleat with a soft-shackle.  You want the sail 'open' as far as possible usually, so this is as far back as you can take that turning block.

LMK if you need better pics or have questions!

23376256_10214374479657021_7117239235746238111_n.jpg

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 5:14 AM Chris <c.s.dickson@...> wrote:
Hi again all - thanks for all the great tips on previous questions, very helpful.

I have the very good fortune of having just bought a Flicka with an asymmetrical spinnaker. I'm wondering what the best way of rigging the tack of it to the bowsprit is? In particular to allow for easy/safe retrieval, and poling out on either side as needed.

I've read and watched a bunch of stuff online, and it seems like the way to go might be: a block at the end of the bowsprit with a line to the foredeck, two more lines for the port and starboard guys, and another (lighter?) line to the deck for retrieval. Any thoughts? I had the idea of getting one of the guys to double as a retrieval line but somehow that feels like potential trouble...

Hi Antonio, this is great, very useful indeed thanks. :-)

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 5:44 PM Antonio Martinez <middleriverstudio@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Chris...
A couple of other comments I thought of just now:
  • I made the spin halyard beefier than required.  Thus it serves as a backup for everything.
  • The spin sheet should be relatively light.  There are even sheathed dyneema lines that could be used.  Relatively speaking (since it's used most often in ghosting conditions) you don't need a burly line.  A light line will weigh the end of the sail down less (I don't advocate a pole and all the rigging that entails), allowing for better/fuller shape.
  • The sock adds windage at masthead and can sometimes be a PIA, but overall it's really nice to be able to just 'snuff' the sail quickly and w/out dragging it in the water.  We use one and recommend it.
  • You can raise the sail before reefing, by not attaching belt/cummerbund until it's deployed.  Or even easier, keep the main out on same side so it blocks wind, taking some stress off all the spin lines etc.  Once it's flying, we usually drop main as well, at least if going nearly downwind.
  • The asyms are really more like a giant, lightweight genoa, and at least ours works really well all the way around to a reach.   I just pull the tack fairly tight and sometimes attach sheet turning block further forward (mimicking a genoa...).
Best,