#Flicka_Wanted #Flicka_Wanted

David

I live in Auckland, New Zealand.  I have looked online for any Flicka's for sale in NZ for the last year, but not found any.  Anyone know of any in the NZ/AUS South Pacific - Please let me know.  Thank you.   #Flicka_Wanted

CaptainJohn49

Hi David:

Thanks for joining.  I have a Flicka #363 so I know a little about them.. I also haul shipping containers for a living.  Some people have suggested that a Flicka will fit in a container when stripped down. The boat may fit in a 20’ but I’m not certain about the mast you could always section the mast or ship in in a larger container. Just a thought. I don’t think anyone has ever sailed to NZ in one so I don’t think you are going to find any one way Flickas.  There are plenty in the US and MX.. I have a friend that has one in LaPaz, MX that she wants to sell very reasonably.

Best of luck and welcome to the club.

CaptianJohn49

On Jan 27, 2021, at 9:49 AM, David <davidandlara@...> wrote:

I live in Auckland, New Zealand.  I have looked online for any Flicka's for sale in NZ for the last year, but not found any.  Anyone know of any in the NZ/AUS South Pacific - Please let me know.  Thank you.   #Flicka_Wanted

cyclingarmadillo

Good luck David. We hope you find one near NZ. I LOVE New Zealand. Spent a week in Nelson area a few years ago. Can't wait to return.

We LOVE our 1990 Flicka (SV Mona, hull #388). Mona's land locked on a Lake in Austin, TX USA. Would rather be in NZ for sure!

Fair winds and following seas!

Mark & Alla

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021, 11:18 AM David <davidandlara@...> wrote:
I live in Auckland, New Zealand.  I have looked online for any Flicka's for sale in NZ for the last year, but not found any.  Anyone know of any in the NZ/AUS South Pacific - Please let me know.  Thank you.   #Flicka_Wanted

Antonio Martinez

Someone down there had a Flicka!

On Jan 27, 2021, at 12:18 PM, David <davidandlara@...> wrote:

I live in Auckland, New Zealand.  I have looked online for any Flicka's for sale in NZ for the last year, but not found any.  Anyone know of any in the NZ/AUS South Pacific - Please let me know.  Thank you.   #Flicka_Wanted

David

Edited

Thank you all for the advisement, especially the shipping option.

Going to the U.S. [I'm a US Expat living in NZ for last 7 years] and finding one, then having it shipped home in a container, might be the best option [with Covid precautions].  Maybe it is also cheaper shipping in a container from West Coast instead of East Coast - so no additional cost for going via Canal.

A Dana24, Allegra24, or Baba30 would be other options, though much more expensive, so the Flicka20 will always be my first want/love/choice!

It appears to also be less expensive than those three other ships, which would make the shipping costs much less as the others would need to be sailed here, shipped at higher costs, or found here in this region.  That brings me back to Flicka being the most and only choice in my mind.

Buy right the first time, go small, go slow... that is the dream.

CaptainJohn49

David the Dana 24 would be my first option.  The extra room makes a big difference. I was going to buy a Dana but at the last minute I decided to buy the Flicka.  The Flicka is very easy to tow and lighter but I was in love with the Dana.

I also looked at the Allegra 24 and I didn’t like it.  There are very few to choose from.  The one I looked at had a new Triad trailer but the boat was a work in process. Too much for me. I offered $20k for the whole setup boat and trailer.  The owner turned me down so I left.  3 days later he asked me if I’d come back and do the deal for $15k.  Would have bee great but I was already 1,000 miles away so I said no again. My opinion of the Allegra is that it isn’t very well laid out.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Baba 30 is not a boat I have seen in person so I have no opinion.

In NZ I’m surprised that you don’t have some 28 ft. Bristol Channel Cutters.  I was going to buy one in 2017 but it’s not something to trailer.

One thing you have to decide - are you looking for something to trailer such as the Flicka or Dana?  You can trailer anything with a large enough truck but 24 ft. and 8,000 lb. displacement is a practical limit for the average full size pickup.

John

On Jan 27, 2021, at 11:29 AM, David <davidandlara@...> wrote:

Thank you all for the advisement, especially the shipping option.

Going to the U.S. [I'm a US Expat living in NZ for last 7 years]and finding one, then having it shipped home in a container, might be the best option [with Covid precautions].  Maybe it is also cheaper shipping in a container from West Coast instead of East Coast - so no additional cost for going via Canal.

A Dana24, Allegra24, or Baba30 would be other options, though much more expensive, so the Flicka20 will always be my first want/love/choice!

It appears to also be less expensive than those three other ships, which would make the shipping costs much less as the others would need to be sailed here, shipped at higher costs, or found here in this region.  That brings me back to Flicka being the most and only choice in my mind.

Buy right the first time, go small, go slow... that is the dream.

Matt Corwin

Hi, please check out the Lyle Hess Nor Sea 27 trailerable double ender, it is a fantastic sea boat with gorgeous lines and on average a bit less pricey than the Dana.

Matt

[...]

Hey Matt:

I have to agree the Nor Sea 27 was another boat I have looked at and I wanted the aft cabin version.  Everything a boat should be.  In my case the extra weight made me decide to pass.  Great boat, I’m certain that anyone who has one loves it.

John

On Jan 27, 2021, at 12:41, Matt Corwin via groups.io <bongogram@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Hooker

Welcome and good luck on your search for your dream boat. People on this group love and cherish their Flickas and will give great advice. One note from me. Overseas transport, while not impossible, is a challenge. A Flicka might fit within the limits of the inside of a 24’ container, it won’t go through the door of a standard 8’ wide. There are extra wide maxi 40’ ones which would clear it, but most ships are not laid out to fit them. If you find one on a trailer, it might be easier to move it on a roll on roll off freighter (ROROj than in a container. When you locate one you think suitable, talk to a shipping agent in your area to figure the best way to get it there. I have my own preference re the engine. Ours is a 1GM (6.8hp) which is great for fighting the wind and river currents we deal with here. I would prefer a 1gm10 for the extra capacity but we have what we have. With our experience with the inboard I wouldn’t do an outboard just because of the number of times we need power now and the extra steps of the outboard would have put us in trouble. In our case it is usually some big power boat (or more than one) has boxed us into a situation of literally a rock or a hard place with wind and current against us.  Just my opinion and we know what that’s worth. Again, good luck and welcome to the club.

Jim Hooker
sv Niamh #278
Detroit