After a couple of decades........... #intro

Priscilla Wheatley

A Flicka and a Carrera, a match made in heaven.  Unsurpassed engineering meets exceptional quality of assembly. I'm a 914 person, the last one a 1974 Phoenix Red 1.8, Porsche Club and competition.  I did all my 911 driving as a track instructor in other peoples' cars.  Chickened out at 145 in a Turbo on the back straight at Watkins Glen.  When I moved to Boston for work in 1980 I started taking a week long schooner trip in Maine aboard the Nathaniel Bowditch, now rebuilt and renamed to back to Ladona (google her). That's where I learned how to sail in Maine.  I got some time on the helm the first trip.  The captain gave me more time every year at the helm of a 1922 yacht, 82 feet on deck.  Best sail of my life was taking her around Cape Ann to Gloucester MA at 4:00 a.m. in a stiff northwesterly.  She and the Flicka have some similar characteristics under sail.  I had a Cape Dory Typhoon but wanted a bigger better boat to cruise in.  The captain sent me to Mike Mitchell in South Bristol, Maine. I never sailed one.  I never even heard of them.  The longer I sat on the hard on 387 the more I knew it was my boat.  Cadenza, the virtuoso solo part of a concerto, towing my dinghy Coda.  Destiny put us together.

Laurence Holden

Thanks so much for sharing your precious memories!

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020, 12:44 PM Priscilla Wheatley <wheatleyp@...> wrote:
Hello all!
I guess I will have to call myself an "admirer" of the Flicka.  I am the original owner of Cadenza, hull #387. She is listed as a 1989 because the hull was pulled in September 1989, but she was built for 1990 because the original very dark navy gel coat was a 1990 color.  I purchased her at Coveside in South Bristol, Maine in 1990 and singlehanded the Maine coast through 1999, my last year sailing.  I worked in Boston but moved to Maine in 1995. I sold her around 2002 and she was relocated to Eggemoggin Reach (Penobscot Bay), was painted and spruced up.  I don't know anything beyond that until I had the intense desire to start seriously looking.  Last night I hit pay dirt!  It looks like she has spent years in the Great Lakes.  I wasn't one to spend a lot of time on maintenance.  Insurance covered her in the water from May 1 to November 1 and I wanted to sail every day I could.  April was the month to get ready to launch including painting the bottom, sometimes in view of some crusty snow under a tree.  She went overboard for the first weekend in May and came out by 10/31.   I'm glad to see she is in good shape, carefully refurbished and maintained.  I found a lot of my old messages on this board.  What memories!

I'm a real single-hander.  I rarely took anyone with me.  If you knew how to sail I made you sit on your hands.  The more you know, the more likely you are to upset established routines. 2 guys screwed me up at the Camden Yacht club trying to help me tie up.  I did have a great crew member, sister of a Crealock 34 owner, for the race at the Rendezvous at Christmas Cove. We handled 35-40 kts in 1999 when a lot of the bigger boats motored to the lobster bake.  I have giant pewter loving cup and still remember leaving Mike Mitchell (Coveside's owner) well behind our wake.

My signature cruise was in 1998, when I turned 50, to Passamaquoddy Bay part of which is in New Brunswick.  It was about 6 weeks in August and September, hurricane season.  I added a Bruce anchor and rode to the CQR.  I found the special flares recently in the garage  I had installed radar a few years earlier, added a handheld radio to the built in.  I stuck with handheld Loran because GPS was inaccurate by about 1/4 mile, which is dicey along the rocky coast.  I spent several days in Lubec because I knew the harbormaster, which was a good break to rest, do laundry etc.  I studied up on the area and planned carefully for 20 foot tides, wicked currents, and a real whirlpool that had to be avoided.  I toured Campobello (FDR's home), then went to St Andrew's (NB), and spent many nights anchored in gunkholes.  Last stop was on Grand Manan island, part of NB; the international border goes straight down the middle of the channel.  I hit a following current when I left for home and made over 8 kts over the ground!

I still have a few things, including the bronze Lewmar winch handle which I took home so I wouldn't lose it overboard. I also have the original tiller which has some delamination, and I found the extra key for the Yanmar.  I carry pictures with me, along with some of my horse, Speckles, purchased in 2001 when I still owned Cadenza.  There are few of me and my Porsche from the 70s-80s, on the track at Watkins Glen..  Dad taught me to sail on a little pond on Cape Cod when I was 6 and 2000 was the first year I didn't sail at all.  What drove me to pursue 3 oddball hobbies (for women, some would say) was undiagnosed bipolar disorder.  It's taken care of now, but my horse and I are still at it:  I'm 71, he's 25.  Saturday a friend is taking me to a lecture of sorts about Maine lighthouses, most of which I have seen from the water, never the land.

More Cadenza gear will surface without a doubt.  I don't throw out useful things unless they have turned green and liquid in the vegetable drawer.  I still have the stainless fittings and fastener kit   Take Care!!!
Thanks for letting me reminisce!

Priscilla

Michael Workman

You know great products when you see them - Flicka's and Porsche's!  Slightly off-topic, but what model and year Porsche did you have?  I own a '91 Flicka (#404) and an '87 911 Carrera, and love them both!

On Monday, February 24, 2020, 11:44:21 AM CST, Priscilla Wheatley <wheatleyp@...> wrote:

[...]

ED SEITZ

Wonderful memories!