Boarding ladders

Trevor Davis

I've seen a variety of ladders/steps, mostly transom mounted. I'm considering all options, including a Perko folding step, or a version they make that is fixed. Either for mounting on the side where lifeline rail opens, or at transom (greater stabilty? But lacks the opening rail). Another option might be the Garelick gullwing style, removeable, but one more thing to stow underway.

Trevor Davis

--- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" wrote:

I've seen a variety of ladders/steps, mostly transom mounted. I'm considering all options, including a Perko folding step, or a version they make that is fixed. Either for mounting on the side where lifeline rail opens, or at transom (greater stabilty? But lacks the opening rail). Another option might be the Garelick gullwing style, removeable, but one more thing to stow underway.
http://www.jmsonline.net/step-boarding-chrome.htm

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=12118

http://www.garelick.com/Gull-Wing-Step-Ladder-Stainless-Steel-Frame

Daryl Clark

If you have the track on the toe rail, then this is the one I plan on having made for Ballo Liscio:

http://www.mysticstainless.com/foldaway.html

Slides on the track so when underway, you should be able to move it more aft, if necesesary.

Daryl
S/Y Ballo Liscio - Flicka 433

--- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" wrote:

I've seen a variety of ladders/steps, mostly transom mounted. I'm considering all options, including a Perko folding step, or a version they make that is fixed. Either for mounting on the side where lifeline rail opens, or at transom (greater stabilty? But lacks the opening rail). Another option might be the Garelick gullwing style, removeable, but one more thing to stow underway.

Trevor Davis

I like it Daryl. A bit more obtrusive than what I had in mind, but the design seems very good. I only have a teak rail, but from the pictures it looks like they have a surface mount option. 70" of extension seems like it might be a bit of overkill, but it looks like they have different versions available. Any idea on pricing?

--- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" wrote:

I've seen a variety of ladders/steps, mostly transom mounted. I'm considering all options, including a Perko folding step, or a version they make that is fixed. Either for mounting on the side where lifeline rail opens, or at transom (greater stabilty? But lacks the opening rail). Another option might be the Garelick gullwing style, removeable, but one more thing to stow underway.

Trevor Davis

Opps, I see the pricing now that I've asked you!

--- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" wrote:

I've seen a variety of ladders/steps, mostly transom mounted. I'm considering all options, including a Perko folding step, or a version they make that is fixed. Either for mounting on the side where lifeline rail opens, or at transom (greater stabilty? But lacks the opening rail). Another option might be the Garelick gullwing style, removeable, but one more thing to stow underway.

Trevor Davis

Found another option, a little less expensive than the Mystic foldaway:
http://www.up-n-out.com/boat-ladders/

--- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" wrote:

I've seen a variety of ladders/steps, mostly transom mounted. I'm considering all options, including a Perko folding step, or a version they make that is fixed. Either for mounting on the side where lifeline rail opens, or at transom (greater stabilty? But lacks the opening rail). Another option might be the Garelick gullwing style, removeable, but one more thing to stow underway.

Trevor Davis

After searching through some older threads...
Points of interest:
1)best location, side vs transom
2)emergency usefulness
3)novel ideas

Sidemount is a bit more in the way, but has the obvious advantage of being at an existing rail opening. Boarding in an emergency would probably be questionable anywhere, especially if solo.

I can't find examples of steps on rudder as has been previously mentioned- anyone try this successfully? Sailors sketchbook has examples of steps, but not placement specifics.

I'm now leaning toward some sort of permanent transom/rudder steps, and prep for emergency life ring block/biner setup for boom.
Use of harness in any weather, and skip the heavy (and potentially expensive) ladder options.

--- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" wrote:

I've seen a variety of ladders/steps, mostly transom mounted. I'm considering all options, including a Perko folding step, or a version they make that is fixed. Either for mounting on the side where lifeline rail opens, or at transom (greater stabilty? But lacks the opening rail). Another option might be the Garelick gullwing style, removeable, but one more thing to stow underway.

sam_yoshimura88

Some pictures of Flickas from my blog:

1) #407 the Ladybird (in Japan):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xGsX-xHakfM/SNj85KBcbtI/AAAAAAAAAIM/1pSPTANC6Ts/s1600/Lady+Bird+Stern+View.JPG

2) A 1983 Flicka (also in Japan):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xGsX-xHakfM/TEJXvy7rdwI/AAAAAAAADAc/rRNJVwTkoBk/s1600/Setouchi+flicka+joukadai+2009+09.jpg

Along with the two steps on the rudder (shown in the above picture), one is set on the transom:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0-dIM8CMHyI/TynkN7Sx3YI/AAAAAAAAFQQ/9_k1Sr98dys/s1600/1983+Flicka+in+Japan+03.jpg

3) A 1982 Flicka (was in Connecticut in 2009):

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xGsX-xHakfM/SjMrkQV959I/AAAAAAAABYA/ljDUTVBtwVw/s1600/1982+ct4.jpg

4) Nor'Star Flicka #20 the Motu has just one on the transom:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xGsX-xHakfM/S_Fv25FsgII/AAAAAAAACtY/xhQj2epeuJI/s1600/Motu.jpg

5) Another Nor'Star Flicka the Munchkin has a sturdy SS platform:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TqUv4CIQ6TE/Tvf1wpX6TLI/AAAAAAAAE2U/wphrlyL3AUU/s1600/PC243238.JPG

Remember that the propeller aperture (if your Ficka has one) and the pintle and gudgeon near the waterline also can serve as steps when coming out of water.

-sam, #295 Serenity

--- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" <pkiswee@...> wrote:

I can't find examples of steps on rudder as has been previously mentioned- anyone try this successfully? Sailors sketchbook has examples of steps, but not placement specifics.

Trevor Davis

Thanks very much - exactly what I was looking for.

--- In Flicka20@..., "sam_yoshimura88" <sam_yoshimura88@...> wrote:

[...]

The Lady Bird step layout makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks again

[...]

Nick D

Guys, I seriously recommend you have at least one step 12 inches underwater or else you won't be able to get back into the boat. Nick

[...]

Ivan Kadar

I second Nick's, you need a step at least a foot below water, more is better. I have a folding ladder on the port side, and I use it to go into the water to swim. Even so it is in the water like that, it takes an effort to pull myself out of the water. Ivan, Sans Souci on the LI  Sound NY

--- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" wrote:

> The Lady Bird step layout makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks again
>
> --- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" wrote:
> >
> > Thanks very much - exactly what I was looking for.
> >
> > --- In Flicka20@..., "sam_yoshimura88" wrote:
> > >
> > > Some pictures of Flickas from my blog:
> > >
> > > 1) #407 the Ladybird (in Japan):
> > >
> > > http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xGsX-xHakfM/SNj85KBcbtI/AAAAAAAAAIM/1pSPTANC6Ts/s1600/Lady+Bird+Stern+View.JPG
> > >
> > > 2) A 1983 Flicka (also in Japan):
> > >
> > > http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xGsX-xHakfM/TEJXvy7rdwI/AAAAAAAADAc/rRNJVwTkoBk/s1600/Setouchi+flicka+joukadai+2009+09.jpg
> > >
> > > Along with the two steps on the rudder (shown in the above picture), one is set on the transom:
> > >
> > > http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0-dIM8CMHyI/TynkN7Sx3YI/AAAAAAAAFQQ/9_k1Sr98dys/s1600/1983+Flicka+in+Japan+03.jpg
> > >
> > > 3) A 1982 Flicka (was in Connecticut in 2009):
> > >
> > > http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xGsX-xHakfM/SjMrkQV959I/AAAAAAAABYA/ljDUTVBtwVw/s1600/1982+ct4.jpg
> > >
> > > 4) Nor'Star Flicka #20 the Motu has just one on the transom:
> > >
> > > http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xGsX-xHakfM/S_Fv25FsgII/AAAAAAAACtY/xhQj2epeuJI/s1600/Motu.jpg
> > >
> > > 5) Another Nor'Star Flicka the Munchkin has a sturdy SS platform:
> > >
> > > http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TqUv4CIQ6TE/Tvf1wpX6TLI/AAAAAAAAE2U/wphrlyL3AUU/s1600/PC243238.JPG
> > >
> > > Remember that the propeller aperture (if your Ficka has one) and the pintle and gudgeon near the waterline also can serve as steps when coming out of water.
> > >
> > > -sam, #295 Serenity

Clint Lewis

MOTU still only has the single step as shown in a linked photo in this thread in an earlier post. I tried using it last trip from the water after cleaning the bottom--it was useless or maybe I just haven't learned the technique. I think the single step was used from a surfboard or dingy alongside the boat. Seems to me the easiest thing would be to have a rope type ladder you hang over the side when needed. You'd only forget to throw it over once!

Lew
s/v MOTU

--- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" wrote:

> The Lady Bird step layout makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks again
>
> --- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" wrote:
> >
> > Thanks very much - exactly what I was looking for.
> >
> > --- In Flicka20@..., "sam_yoshimura88" wrote:
> > >
> > > Some pictures of Flickas from my blog:
> > >
> > > 1) #407 the Ladybird (in Japan):
> > >
> > > http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xGsX-xHakfM/SNj85KBcbtI/AAAAAAAAAIM/1pSPTANC6Ts/s1600/Lady+Bird+Stern+View.JPG
> > >
> > > 2) A 1983 Flicka (also in Japan):
> > >
> > > http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xGsX-xHakfM/TEJXvy7rdwI/AAAAAAAADAc/rRNJVwTkoBk/s1600/Setouchi+flicka+joukadai+2009+09.jpg
> > >
> > > Along with the two steps on the rudder (shown in the above picture), one is set on the transom:
> > >
> > > http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0-dIM8CMHyI/TynkN7Sx3YI/AAAAAAAAFQQ/9_k1Sr98dys/s1600/1983+Flicka+in+Japan+03.jpg
> > >
> > > 3) A 1982 Flicka (was in Connecticut in 2009):
> > >
> > > http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xGsX-xHakfM/SjMrkQV959I/AAAAAAAABYA/ljDUTVBtwVw/s1600/1982+ct4.jpg
> > >
> > > 4) Nor'Star Flicka #20 the Motu has just one on the transom:
> > >
> > > http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xGsX-xHakfM/S_Fv25FsgII/AAAAAAAACtY/xhQj2epeuJI/s1600/Motu.jpg
> > >
> > > 5) Another Nor'Star Flicka the Munchkin has a sturdy SS platform:
> > >
> > > http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TqUv4CIQ6TE/Tvf1wpX6TLI/AAAAAAAAE2U/wphrlyL3AUU/s1600/PC243238.JPG
> > >
> > > Remember that the propeller aperture (if your Ficka has one) and the pintle and gudgeon near the waterline also can serve as steps when coming out of water.
> > >
> > > -sam, #295 Serenity

sbwye

A rope ladder: If a step is close to the water surface, your foot gets jammed against the hull and if lower, your foot goes under the hull and you are leaning back at an awkward angle making it very difficult to climb.

--- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" wrote:

> The Lady Bird step layout makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks again
>
> --- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" wrote:
> >
> > Thanks very much - exactly what I was looking for.
> >
> > --- In Flicka20@..., "sam_yoshimura88" wrote:
> > >
> > > Some pictures of Flickas from my blog:
> > >
> > > 1) #407 the Ladybird (in Japan):
> > >
> > > http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xGsX-xHakfM/SNj85KBcbtI/AAAAAAAAAIM/1pSPTANC6Ts/s1600/Lady+Bird+Stern+View.JPG
> > >
> > > 2) A 1983 Flicka (also in Japan):
> > >
> > > http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xGsX-xHakfM/TEJXvy7rdwI/AAAAAAAADAc/rRNJVwTkoBk/s1600/Setouchi+flicka+joukadai+2009+09.jpg
> > >
> > > Along with the two steps on the rudder (shown in the above picture), one is set on the transom:
> > >
> > > http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0-dIM8CMHyI/TynkN7Sx3YI/AAAAAAAAFQQ/9_k1Sr98dys/s1600/1983+Flicka+in+Japan+03.jpg
> > >
> > > 3) A 1982 Flicka (was in Connecticut in 2009):
> > >
> > > http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xGsX-xHakfM/SjMrkQV959I/AAAAAAAABYA/ljDUTVBtwVw/s1600/1982+ct4.jpg
> > >
> > > 4) Nor'Star Flicka #20 the Motu has just one on the transom:
> > >
> > > http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xGsX-xHakfM/S_Fv25FsgII/AAAAAAAACtY/xhQj2epeuJI/s1600/Motu.jpg
> > >
> > > 5) Another Nor'Star Flicka the Munchkin has a sturdy SS platform:
> > >
> > > http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-TqUv4CIQ6TE/Tvf1wpX6TLI/AAAAAAAAE2U/wphrlyL3AUU/s1600/PC243238.JPG
> > >
> > > Remember that the propeller aperture (if your Ficka has one) and the pintle and gudgeon near the waterline also can serve as steps when coming out of water.
> > >
> > > -sam, #295 Serenity

Clint Lewis

I do agree that can happen with the foot. I was thinking something like this:

with a simple stand-off system. Upper body strength would be useful too.

Lew
s/v MOTU

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Tom Beall <sbwye@...> wrote:

A rope ladder: If a step is close to the water surface, your foot gets jammed against the hull and if lower, your foot goes under the hull and you are leaning back at an awkward angle making it very difficult to climb.

MOTU still only has the single step as shown in a linked photo in this thread in an earlier post. I tried using it last trip from the water after cleaning the bottom--it was useless or maybe I just haven't learned the technique. I think the single step was used from a surfboard or dingy alongside the boat. Seems to me the easiest thing would be to have a rope type ladder you hang over the side when needed. You'd only forget to throw it over once!

Lew
s/v MOTU

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Ivan Kadar <ivankadar@...> wrote:
 ...clipped

Nick D

I think the best is the solid permanent ladder so its always available for emergencies. I had a good one that I moved from one boat to another. Its the West Marine 14045991. Not exactly sure how this would fit on the Flicka transom but, when folded up, the bottom rung should line up with the stern pulpit rail. If you could mount it lower it would be better, but this ladder is a little wide. The bottom rung of the ladder on my boat is well under water and the second rung is just under. The ladder must angle away from the hull. Anything that follows the hull will be a problem. You will find a few other challenges as you step over the stern pulpit and around the backstay and other obstacles back there. Nick

http://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-recycled-plastic-products/swim-platforms/boat-ladders/rope-grab-ladders

with a simple stand-off system. Upper body strength would be useful too.

Lew
s/v MOTU

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Tom Beall <sbwye@...> wrote:

**

A rope ladder: If a step is close to the water surface, your foot gets
jammed against the hull and if lower, your foot goes under the hull and you
are leaning back at an awkward angle making it very difficult to climb.

MOTU still only has the single step as shown in a linked photo in this
thread in an earlier post. I tried using it last trip from the water after
cleaning the bottom--it was useless or maybe I just haven't learned the
technique. I think the single step was used from a surfboard or dingy
alongside the boat. Seems to me the easiest thing would be to have a rope
type ladder you hang over the side when needed. You'd only forget to throw
it over once!

Lew
s/v MOTU

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Ivan Kadar <ivankadar@...<http://mc/compose?to=ivankadar@...>
wrote:
**
...clipped

manzano1957

 When I bought my first Flicka Wren, it came with a rope ladder. Thank goodness there were two of us on board the first time it was put to use because my buddy would never have gotten back on board without my help. We finally got him back on board from the bow using the bowsprit chains, glad that they were actual chain not stainless wire like my present Flicka. It is also a good thing that he is a fit chap or I would have had to tow him to shore! Flicka's are chubby little things.

Kevin

MOTU still only has the single step as shown in a linked photo in this thread in an earlier post. I tried using it last trip from the water after cleaning the bottom--it was useless or maybe I just haven't learned the technique. I think the single step was used from a surfboard or dingy alongside the boat. Seems to me the easiest thing would be to have a rope type ladder you hang over the side when needed. You'd only forget to throw it over once!

Lew
s/v MOTU

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Ivan Kadar <ivankadar@...> wrote:
 ...clipped

tjphipps

I have a folding ladder on the stern.  In that location it also gives me something to hang on to and keep me still when I'm in the water to scrape barnacles off of the prop - very helpful.  When it is not folded up, the lower half is kept away from the transom by two short ss tubes with rubber bumpers on the ends.  It isn't very difficult to make it back into the boat - more dangerous is stepping into the cockpit with wet slippery feet.

Tom
Flicka #372

I jumped off a boat to do some work and good thing the dock had a ladder otherwise I'd never get out of the water. When we anchor to swim we always tie a swimming pool noodle about 15 ft off the stern. If we're in deep water and going under to scrub the bottom we tie a line over the side bow to stern. I prefer to wear a neoprene body glove and flippers for this task, for safety. Lately we've been anchoring in 3ft of water for the scrubbing job. Nick--- In Flicka20@..., Thomas Phipps <tjphipps@...> wrote: