Deadlight installation

Trevor Davis

I'm considering installing a ~12" window/deadlight in either my companionway slider, or on the forward cabin wall. Pros/cons opinions appreciated. I have some 1/2" acrylic (or it could be polycarbonate) i'll be using. I also found a nice bronze guard that will mount over it.

Daryl Clark

I have seen some other vessels with a port light facing forward. Wonder how much of a FLAT, non curving space there is up on the forward bulkhead. Might be difficult to get a good fit it there is much of a curve.

Daryl

--- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" wrote:

I'm considering installing a ~12" window/deadlight in either my companionway slider, or on the forward cabin wall. Pros/cons opinions appreciated. I have some 1/2" acrylic (or it could be polycarbonate) i'll be using. I also found a nice bronze guard that will mount over it.

Trevor Davis

I'd have to take some measurements to be sure.  The nice thing about thermoplastics is you can create a curve relatively easy.  The bronze guard on the other hand is flat,  so it would have to sit proud.

On Feb 13, 2013 4:25 PM, "Daryl" <dlclark@...> wrote:

I have seen some other vessels with a port light facing forward. Wonder how much of a FLAT, non curving space there is up on the forward bulkhead. Might be difficult to get a good fit it there is much of a curve.

Daryl

>
> I'm considering installing a ~12" window/deadlight in either my companionway slider, or on the forward cabin wall. Pros/cons opinions appreciated. I have some 1/2" acrylic (or it could be polycarbonate) i'll be using. I also found a nice bronze guard that will mount over it.
>

manzano1957

When I single handed my 1974 Ryan Marine Ferro Cement Flicka, Wren down and across the ICW from MD to TX, a forward port would have been invaluable so that I could see ahead while sitting in the cockpit manning the tiller. The three collisions and several near misses that I encounter on those 12 + hour days were caused because I was blind down one side or the other. Wren was flat on the forward cabin wall, as is the project 1976 Nor Star Flicka I now own. I am installing a New Found Metals, Inc opening 7x15 port light in her forward wall along with six opening ports inplacing of the dead ports in the side walls. A must in my opinion both for ventilation while gunk holing and forward visibility while steering sitting in the cockpit or when down below under auto pilot.

Kevin

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Flicka20] Re: Deadlight installation

I'd have to take some measurements to be sure.  The nice thing about thermoplastics is you can create a curve relatively easy.  The bronze guard on the other hand is flat,  so it would have to sit proud.

On Feb 13, 2013 4:25 PM, "Daryl" <dlclark@...> wrote:

Daryl

>
> I'm considering installing a ~12" window/deadlight in either my companionway slider, or on the forward cabin wall. Pros/cons opinions appreciated. I have some 1/2" acrylic (or it could be polycarbonate) i'll be using. I also found a nice bronze guard that will mount over it.
>

Daryl Clark

I have never found it to be a problem seeing over the cabin top when in the cockpit. It sure would be nice when down below to see forward, though I tend to sail in more open waters most of the time and maintain a good watch.

Daryl

--- In Flicka20@..., wrote:

When I single handed my 1974 Ryan Marine Ferro Cement Flicka, Wren down and across the ICW from MD to TX, a forward port would have been invaluable so that I could see ahead while sitting in the cockpit manning the tiller. The three collisions and several near misses that I encounter on those 12 + hour days were caused because I was blind down one side or the other. Wren was flat on the forward cabin wall, as is the project 1976 Nor Star Flicka I now own. I am installing a New Found Metals, Inc opening 7x15 port light in her forward wall along with six opening ports inplacing of the dead ports in the side walls. A must in my opinion both for ventilation while gunk holing and forward visibility while steering sitting in the cockpit or when down below under auto pilot.

Kevin

To: Flicka20@...
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Flicka20] Re: Deadlight installation

I'd have to take some measurements to be sure. The nice thing about thermoplastics is you can create a curve relatively easy. The bronze guard on the other hand is flat, so it would have to sit proud.

On Feb 13, 2013 4:25 PM, "Daryl" wrote:

Daryl

>
>

manzano1957

Yes I agree if one is at attention sitting straight up, which is hard to do if not impossible when single handing without autopilot for hours on end. Yes, one is blind when below, and the added ventilation of the forward opening port is nice too.

Kevin

Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:29 AM
Subject: [Flicka20] Re: Deadlight installation

I have never found it to be a problem seeing over the cabin top when in the cockpit. It sure would be nice when down below to see forward, though I tend to sail in more open waters most of the time and maintain a good watch.

Daryl

>
>
> When I single handed my 1974 Ryan Marine Ferro Cement Flicka, Wren down and across the ICW from MD to TX, a forward port would have been invaluable so that I could see ahead while sitting in the cockpit manning the tiller. The three collisions and several near misses that I encounter on those 12 + hour days were caused because I was blind down one side or the other. Wren was flat on the forward cabin wall, as is the project 1976 Nor Star Flicka I now own. I am installing a New Found Metals, Inc opening 7x15 port light in her forward wall along with six opening ports replacing  the dead ports in the side walls. A must in my opinion both for ventilation while gunk holing and forward visibility while steering sitting in the cockpit or when down below under auto pilot.
>
> Kevin
>
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: Trevor Davis
> To: Flicka20@...
> Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:30 PM
> Subject: Re: [Flicka20] Re: Deadlight installation
>
>
>
>
> I'd have to take some measurements to be sure. The nice thing about thermoplastics is you can create a curve relatively easy. The bronze guard on the other hand is flat, so it would have to sit proud.
>
> On Feb 13, 2013 4:25 PM, "Daryl" wrote:
>
>
> I have seen some other vessels with a port light facing forward. Wonder how much of a FLAT, non curving space there is up on the forward bulkhead. Might be difficult to get a good fit it there is much of a curve.
>
> Daryl
>
> --- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" wrote:
> >
> > I'm considering installing a ~12" window/deadlight in either my companionway slider, or on the forward cabin wall. Pros/cons opinions appreciated. I have some 1/2" acrylic (or it could be polycarbonate) i'll be using. I also found a nice bronze guard that will mount over it.
> >
>

Trevor Davis

I hadn't really even considered forward line of sight. Can one see over the bow obstructions with a forward port? I'm starting to like the idea more and more. Plus a fwd port might improve the aesthetics - is that possible on a flicka? :-)

Yes I agree if one is at attention sitting straight up, which is hard to do if not impossible when single handing without autopilot for hours on end. Yes, one is blind when below, and the added ventilation of the forward opening port is nice too.

Kevin

Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:29 AM

Daryl

>
>
> When I single handed my 1974 Ryan Marine Ferro Cement Flicka, Wren down and across the ICW from MD to TX, a forward port would have been invaluable so that I could see ahead while sitting in the cockpit manning the tiller. The three collisions and several near misses that I encounter on those 12 + hour days were caused because I was blind down one side or the other. Wren was flat on the forward cabin wall, as is the project 1976 Nor Star Flicka I now own. I am installing a New Found Metals, Inc opening 7x15 port light in her forward wall along with six opening ports replacing the dead ports in the side walls. A must in my opinion both for ventilation while gunk holing and forward visibility while steering sitting in the cockpit or when down below under auto pilot.
>
> Kevin
>
>
> From: Trevor Davis
> Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:30 PM
> Subject: Re: [Flicka20] Re: Deadlight installation
>
>
>
>
> I'd have to take some measurements to be sure. The nice thing about thermoplastics is you can create a curve relatively easy. The bronze guard on the other hand is flat, so it would have to sit proud.
>
> On Feb 13, 2013 4:25 PM, "Daryl" wrote:
>
>
> I have seen some other vessels with a port light facing forward. Wonder how much of a FLAT, non curving space there is up on the forward bulkhead. Might be difficult to get a good fit it there is much of a curve.
>
> Daryl
>
> >
> > I'm considering installing a ~12" window/deadlight in either my companionway slider, or on the forward cabin wall. Pros/cons opinions appreciated. I have some 1/2" acrylic (or it could be polycarbonate) i'll be using. I also found a nice bronze guard that will mount over it.
> >
>

manzano1957

I don't know about obstructed view on a PS Flicka, but no problem on a NS Flicka. All Flickas are beautiful!
Kevin

Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:00 PM

I hadn't really even considered forward line of sight. Can one see over the bow obstructions with a forward port? I'm starting to like the idea more and more. Plus a fwd port might improve the aesthetics - is that possible on a flicka? :-)

>
>
> Yes I agree if one is at attention sitting straight up, which is hard to do if not impossible when single handing without autopilot for hours on end. Yes, one is blind when below, and the added ventilation of the forward opening port is nice too.
>
> Kevin
>
>
>
>
> From: Daryl
> Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:29 AM
> Subject: [Flicka20] Re: Deadlight installation
>
>
>
> I have never found it to be a problem seeing over the cabin top when in the cockpit. It sure would be nice when down below to see forward, though I tend to sail in more open waters most of the time and maintain a good watch.
>
> Daryl
>
> --- In Flicka20@..., wrote:
> >
> >
> > When I single handed my 1974 Ryan Marine Ferro Cement Flicka, Wren down and across the ICW from MD to TX, a forward port would have been invaluable so that I could see ahead while sitting in the cockpit manning the tiller. The three collisions and several near misses that I encounter on those 12 + hour days were caused because I was blind down one side or the other. Wren was flat on the forward cabin wall, as is the project 1976 Nor Star Flicka I now own. I am installing a New Found Metals, Inc opening 7x15 port light in her forward wall along with six opening ports replacing the dead ports in the side walls. A must in my opinion both for ventilation while gunk holing and forward visibility while steering sitting in the cockpit or when down below under auto pilot.
> >
> > Kevin
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> >
> > From: Trevor Davis
> > To: Flicka20@...
> > Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:30 PM
> > Subject: Re: [Flicka20] Re: Deadlight installation
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > I'd have to take some measurements to be sure. The nice thing about thermoplastics is you can create a curve relatively easy. The bronze guard on the other hand is flat, so it would have to sit proud.
> >
> > On Feb 13, 2013 4:25 PM, "Daryl" wrote:
> >
> >
> > I have seen some other vessels with a port light facing forward. Wonder how much of a FLAT, non curving space there is up on the forward bulkhead. Might be difficult to get a good fit it there is much of a curve.
> >
> > Daryl
> >
> > --- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm considering installing a ~12" window/deadlight in either my companionway slider, or on the forward cabin wall. Pros/cons opinions appreciated. I have some 1/2" acrylic (or it could be polycarbonate) i'll be using. I also found a nice bronze guard that will mount over it.
> > >
> >
>

Nick D

We just sit on a cushion to see over the cabin top. I think you should check the viewing angle of a forward port. You might just see the deck and bowsprit.
Nick

--- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" <pkiswee@...> wrote:

sbwye

I had a small (maybe 8-9 inch light), forward facing, bronze, openable, port installed at the factory to match the side ports. I have enjoyed it greatly when in the cabin when sailing, anchored or in port.

Tom Flicka20

--- On Sun, 2/17/13, Nick D wrote:

Date: Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:31 AM

We just sit on a cushion to see over the cabin top. I think you should check the viewing angle of a forward port. You might just see the deck and bowsprit.
Nick

>
>

Nick D

I fully agree that a forward facing hatch would be great at anchor. Particularly at 3am when you just need that quick peek around so you can sleep better. Nick

--- In Flicka20@..., Tom Beall <sbwye@...> wrote:

I had a small (maybe 8-9 inch light), forward facing, bronze, openable, port installed at the factory to match the side ports. I have enjoyed it greatly when in the cabin when sailing, anchored or in port.
Tom Flicka20

--- On Sun, 2/17/13, Nick D <sailvela@...> wrote:

Date: Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:31 AM

Nick

Trevor Davis

Yeah, just from eye-balling it, my guess is it would be at least mostly blocked by sprit. Or a dink on foredeck! But i still like the idea- that bare forward cabin wall begs for a light.

--- In Flicka20@..., "Nick D" <sailvela@...> wrote:

Nick

--- In Flicka20@..., "williwa1" <pkiswee@> wrote:

manzano1957

Been there and know what you mean, that's why I' instaling one in my NorStar Flicka. Kevin

Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:08 PM

I fully agree that a forward facing hatch would be great at anchor. Particularly at 3am when you just need that quick peek around so you can sleep better. Nick

--- In Flicka20@..., Tom Beall wrote:
>
> I had a small (maybe 8-9 inch light), forward facing, bronze, openable, port installed at the factory to match the side ports. I have enjoyed it greatly when in the cabin when sailing, anchored or in port.
> Tom Flicka20
>
> --- On Sun, 2/17/13, Nick D wrote:
>
> From: Nick D
> Subject: [Flicka20] Re: Deadlight installation
> Date: Sunday, February 17, 2013, 10:31 AM
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>  
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> We just sit on a cushion to see over the cabin top. I think you should check the viewing angle of a forward port. You might just see the deck and bowsprit.
>
> Nick
>
>
>
>
> >
>
>
> >
>