Hurricane Irene

Nick D

We are within 30 miles of the track of Irene in Amityville Long Island NY. Spending a few days of strategizing how protect my home and the boat and realized that if I stayed near the boat I could be cut off from the house by water and perhaps lose my truck in the process. So, we just got back from the boatyard where the boat was hauled a few hours ago. Feeling a lot better now and able to focus on the home which is essentially just 2 miles from the ocean, less than 1 mile from the Great South Bay. I would say the boat is still at risk on its trailer in the boatyard but I know I've done everything possible. Hope everyone else at risk is taking action.

Daryl Clark

Just got a message from Boat US today. If you haul your boat, take the mast down and try to keep your boat as far away from other boats as possible. Stake the trailer down if possible. If possible, I would haul the boat further inland if you have time.

Good luck.

Daryl

--- In Flicka20@..., "Nick D" <sailvela@...> wrote:

We are within 30 miles of the track of Irene in Amityville Long Island NY. Spending a few days of strategizing how protect my home and the boat and realized that if I stayed near the boat I could be cut off from the house by water and perhaps lose my truck in the process. So, we just got back from the boatyard where the boat was hauled a few hours ago. Feeling a lot better now and able to focus on the home which is essentially just 2 miles from the ocean, less than 1 mile from the Great South Bay. I would say the boat is still at risk on its trailer in the boatyard but I know I've done everything possible. Hope everyone else at risk is taking action.

jason.zabriskie

Have been thinking of all those Flicka owners on the east coast. Fingers crossed that each and every one made it through the storm unscathed. 

-Jason Z

On Aug 25, 2011, at 6:52 PM, "Nick D" <sailvela@...> wrote:

oldfreed2000

Willa has been in my yard this year under a tight cover....no damage.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
To: Flicka20
Cc: Flicka20 Sent: Sun, Aug 28, 2011 10:43 pm
Subject: Re: [Flicka20] Hurricane Irene

Have been thinking of all those Flicka owners on the east coast. Fingers crossed that each and every one made it through the storm unscathed. 

-Jason Z

sbwye

With mandatory evacuation, I left my Flicka on stands in a marina yard with the keel about 6" off the ground, which is about 2 feet above sea level and10 feet from a canal that is a quarter mile from the mouth of the Delaware Bay. Then, the forecasters said the Delaware Bay was due to get 6 to 12 feet of surge. With a 3 foot 4 inch draft, it doesn't take much math to get real nervous. Luckily, we never had such a surge and no damage.

Even if I had time after such a forecast, not sure what I could do.

A few years ago, we had a hurricane come up the Chesapeake and flood the marinas on Kent Island across from Annapolis. The boats, in general, had been put on the land, mostly on trailers, but not tied to their trailers. they floated off and scattered, some on the dual lanes highway US50. A mess for many weeks.

Tom

To: Flicka20@...
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 8:09 PM

Bob

Cc: Flicka20 <Flicka20@...>
Sent: Sun, Aug 28, 2011 10:43 pm

-Jason Z

Charles Dewell

So glad to hear you had no damage.

On Aug 30, 2011, at 4:29 AM, beall <sbwye@...> wrote:

With mandatory evacuation, I left my Flicka on stands in a marina yard with the keel about 6" off the ground, which is about 2 feet above sea level and10 feet from a canal that is a quarter mile from the mouth of the Delaware Bay. Then, the forecasters said the Delaware Bay was due to get 6 to 12 feet of surge. With a 3 foot 4 inch draft, it doesn't take much math to get real nervous. Luckily, we never had such a surge and no damage.

Even if I had time after such a forecast, not sure what I could do.

A few years ago, we had a hurricane come up the Chesapeake and flood the marinas on Kent Island across from Annapolis. The boats, in general, had been put on the land, mostly on trailers, but not tied to their trailers. they floated off and scattered, some on the dual lanes highway US50. A mess for many weeks.

Tom

Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 8:09 PM

Bob

To: Flicka20 <Flicka20@...>
Cc: Flicka20 <Flicka20@...>
Sent: Sun, Aug 28, 2011 10:43 pm

-Jason Z

tjphipps

My flicka #372 made it through on its mooring fine.  Our club, the Harlem Yacht Club on City Island, lost just one boat which was put back into the water by crane from the opposite shore where it rested.

It was difficult at the last minute to find a marina with space or time to have her hauled.  If she ends up moored the next time a storm like this comes I probably will remove the mast and sprit if she has to stay in the water.  The bridle lines were MUCH smaller from the chafing caused by the bobstays.  Had the wind been stronger, the surge higher, or the duration longer, she too would have ended up on another shore as well

At a neighboring marina, a boat owner died in the process of checking his boat during the storm, one of the only deaths in New York City attributed to Irene.

Tom Phipps
City Island, NY

--- On Sun, 8/28/11, Jason Z wrote:

To: "Flicka20@..."
Cc: "Flicka20@..."
Date: Sunday, August 28, 2011, 10:43 PM

-Jason Z

Ivan Kadar

Hello everyone: I am happy to report that I left Sans Souci on its regular mooring in Oyster Bay, and she survived Irene without any damage. Before the storm I tightened up lines, added two lines from the end of the boom to the side cleats, and changed the mooring setup. Normally both lines go up through one roller and cleated to the the two cleats at the bow. I was concerned that intense hobbyhorsing may break the bowsprit and then the mast will come down. So I added chafing protection and brought the two mooring lines through the side of the boat and cleated them. There are bronze  fairleads on the side and stainless strips to protect the teak. Luckily the boat was totally undamaged.
I did consider hauling it, but I thought she is safer on the mooring than on the adjoining parking lot if the surge is very high. I think luck played a major part.
Ivan, Sans Souci on the Long Island Sound, NY

Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:27 PM

My flicka #372 made it through on its mooring fine.  Our club, the Harlem Yacht Club on City Island, lost just one boat which was put back into the water by crane from the opposite shore where it rested.

It was difficult at the last minute to find a marina with space or time to have her hauled.  If she ends up moored the next time a storm like this comes I probably will remove the mast and sprit if she has to stay in the water.  The bridle lines were MUCH smaller from the chafing caused by the bobstays.  Had the wind been stronger, the surge higher, or the duration longer, she too would have ended up on another shore as well

At a neighboring marina, a boat owner died in the process of checking his boat during the storm, one of the only deaths in New York City attributed to Irene.

Tom Phipps
City Island, NY

--- On Sun, 8/28/11, Jason Z wrote:

To: "Flicka20@..."
Cc: "Flicka20@..."

-Jason Z

oldfreed2000

congratulations, Ivan.  we really dodged one this time.

Bob

Sent: Tue, Aug 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Hello everyone: I am happy to report that I left Sans Souci on its regular mooring in Oyster Bay, and she survived Irene without any damage. Before the storm I tightened up lines, added two lines from the end of the boom to the side cleats, and changed the mooring setup. Normally both lines go up through one roller and cleated to the the two cleats at the bow. I was concerned that intense hobbyhorsing may break the bowsprit and then the mast will come down. So I added chafing protection and brought the two mooring lines through the side of the boat and cleated them. There are bronze  fairleads on the side and stainless strips to protect the teak. Luckily the boat was totally undamaged.
I did consider hauling it, but I thought she is safer on the mooring than on the adjoining parking lot if the surge is very high. I think luck played a major part.

Tom Phipps
City Island, NY

--- On Sun, 8/28/11, Jason Z <toucanflicka@...> wrote:

To: "Flicka20@..." <Flicka20@...>
Cc: "Flicka20@..." <Flicka20@...>

-Jason Z

Ivan Kadar

Yes Bob, I was truly worried. But all is well that ends well. -Ivan

Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:01 PM

Bob

Tom Phipps
City Island, NY

-Jason Z

Nick D

Tuesdays Child is ok too! Sorry we've been off-line a few days. The water came up to within 2 feet of the keel with the boat on its trailer. It would have taken another 5 ft to float, however the tide was 2 ft higher than anyone has ever seen and we were expecting worse. The boats where we dock reconfigured for hurricane conditions and survived just fine but if it was as bad as predicted I don't think they would have been so lucky. That's why we hauled. As it was, the boats on trailers at the club, including our Mariner, all floated to a big pile at the back of the yard and had to be disentangled like pick up sticks. Luckily no real damage, although we are all used to sailing kind of scratched up boats since we've been racing them for 40 years. Ran down to the boat after work, in the dark, to knock off one or two barnacles and touch up the anti-fouling. Expect to be launched tomorrow for two or three more months of sailing!

check out the action after the storm here...

http://youtu.be/86Tr_ahHXyk

http://youtu.be/glhc5QmpZmE

--- In Flicka20@..., Ivan Kadar <ivankadar@...> wrote:

Yes Bob, I was truly worried. But all is well that ends well. -Ivan

Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:01 PM

Bob

Tom Phipps
City Island, NY

-Jason Z

Peter Reiner <petereiner24@...>

Tom,

I'm not far from you, at Orienta Yacht club in Mamaroneck Harbor. We were also lucky. No one hauled. We just took off our furling jibs and mainsails and lashed everything down and we all came through ok.

The tidal surge in the western sound is always worse than the surge on the Atlantic shore. We estimated the surge at Orienta at 8ft. MHW in the harbor is about 14 ft. Add 2 more ft for the new moon plus the 8 ft surge and a 25 ft mooring chain would be just about vertical at high tide. Scary. I plan to add six more ft of chain next spring.

For the bobstay, I put on some nylon chafe guard, the kind that is split down the middle and is often used on the shrouds to protect the jenny from chafe. Over that I duct-taped on some loose fitting foam pipe insulation which was free to revolve when the mooring bridle rubbed against it.. This worked very well. The foam was pretty torn up in spots, but there absolutely no evidence of chafe on the mooring lines.

It could have been much worse!

Pete

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Thomas Phipps <tjphipps@...> wrote:

Tom Phipps
City Island, NY

-Jason Z

Gunther <gkempin@...>

According to the harbor master the Rye marina had a lot of flooding but Catherine was fine as she was high enough up on the blocks and jack stands in the marina storage area. I stored her there pending the trip south to NC, date tbd..

Thankfully no boats in the Rye marina were damaged.

Gunther

P.S. Bob and Ivan .... glad you guys are ok.

--- In Flicka20@..., rfreed4250@... wrote:

congratulations, Ivan. we really dodged one this time.

Bob

Hello everyone: I am happy to report that I left Sans Souci on its regular mooring in Oyster Bay, and she survived Irene without any damage. Before the storm I tightened up lines, added two lines from the end of the boom to the side cleats, and changed the mooring setup. Normally both lines go up through one roller and cleated to the the two cleats at the bow. I was concerned that intense hobbyhorsing may break the bowsprit and then the mast will come down. So I added chafing protection and brought the two mooring lines through the side of the boat and cleated them. There are bronze fairleads on the side and stainless strips to protect the teak. Luckily the boat was totally undamaged.

My flicka #372 made it through on its mooring fine. Our club, the Harlem Yacht Club on City Island, lost just one boat which was put back into the water by crane from the opposite shore where it rested.

It was difficult at the last minute to find a marina with space or time to have her hauled. If she ends up moored the next time a storm like this comes I probably will remove the mast and sprit if she has to stay in the water. The bridle lines were MUCH smaller from the chafing caused by the bobstays. Had the wind been stronger, the surge higher, or the duration longer, she too would have ended up on another shore as well

Tom Phipps
City Island, NY

-Jason Z

childs_brian

Sweet Pea on the Chesapeake is well too. Got her hauled just a few hours before the storm hit. I really do not think she would have done well in the slip so I am glad we did even though no flooding to speak of. By luck on the haul we found a thru hull that was cracked so now we can fix that before it decided to let some water in instead. Always a silver lining. Brian and Ashley

--- In Flicka20@..., "Gunther" <gkempin@...> wrote:

According to the harbor master the Rye marina had a lot of flooding but Catherine was fine as she was high enough up on the blocks and jack stands in the marina storage area. I stored her there pending the trip south to NC, date tbd..

Thankfully no boats in the Rye marina were damaged.

Gunther

P.S. Bob and Ivan .... glad you guys are ok.

--- In Flicka20@..., rfreed4250@ wrote:

congratulations, Ivan. we really dodged one this time.

Bob

Hello everyone: I am happy to report that I left Sans Souci on its regular mooring in Oyster Bay, and she survived Irene without any damage. Before the storm I tightened up lines, added two lines from the end of the boom to the side cleats, and changed the mooring setup. Normally both lines go up through one roller and cleated to the the two cleats at the bow. I was concerned that intense hobbyhorsing may break the bowsprit and then the mast will come down. So I added chafing protection and brought the two mooring lines through the side of the boat and cleated them. There are bronze fairleads on the side and stainless strips to protect the teak. Luckily the boat was totally undamaged.

My flicka #372 made it through on its mooring fine. Our club, the Harlem Yacht Club on City Island, lost just one boat which was put back into the water by crane from the opposite shore where it rested.

It was difficult at the last minute to find a marina with space or time to have her hauled. If she ends up moored the next time a storm like this comes I probably will remove the mast and sprit if she has to stay in the water. The bridle lines were MUCH smaller from the chafing caused by the bobstays. Had the wind been stronger, the surge higher, or the duration longer, she too would have ended up on another shore as well

Tom Phipps
City Island, NY

--- On Sun, 8/28/11, Jason Z <toucanflicka@> wrote:

-Jason Z

On Aug 25, 2011, at 6:52 PM, "Nick D" <sailvela@> wrote:

Eniko

Glad all the Flicka's faired well.
Nick and I also found some issues while were had TC short hauled. A few barnacles, especially one little one nestled in the knot meter's impellor. Nick scraped and touched up the bottom paint. Hopefully it will keep our bottom in better shape the rest of the season, and that IS a silver lining. We're back in the water and ready for Labor Day weekend.
Cheers,
Eniko
SV Tuesday's Child

--- In Flicka20@..., "childs_brian" <childs_brian@...> wrote:
By luck on the haul we found a thru hull that was cracked so now we can fix that before it decided to let some water in instead. Always a silver lining. Brian and Ashley