2 subjects.....

Kevin Mcgrath <kevinmcgrath730@...>

1. Took the 2 original winches off the cabin top to do deck work. Will clean them up inside and relube them. Can I use something from an outfit like Auto Zone to avoid being West Marined?                                                                                                                     2. Need 5? feet of 1 and a quarter fuel filler hose to replace original hose. My fuel tank has been cut out of the forepeak and is getting pressure tested to see if there are more leaks than the obvious one. Boat was down at the bow at some point in it's long life (1979 boat ) and rust started at the lowest point on the tank. Sites I visited (Paxton) among others want to sell me minimum of 12 and a half feet at big bucks. Any ideas? Thanks.

Lou Backover

1. Finishline Wet Chain Lube. Inexpensive on Amazon and I'm happy with it.

Watch this video first which is how I found it...

2. Sorry I'm no help with the hose, but am interested in answers from others. 

Best regards, 

Lou Backover 
mobile: 215.519.8327
office: 215.551.1780

812 Lombard St, # 28
Philadelphia, PA 19147 

From: Flicka20@groups.io <Flicka20@groups.io> on behalf of Kevin Mcgrath via groups.io <kevinmcgrath730@...>
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2022 11:13:04 AM
To: Flicka 20 Group <flicka20@groups.io>
Subject: [Flicka20] 2 subjects.....

1. Took the 2 original winches off the cabin top to do deck work. Will clean them up inside and relube them. Can I use something from an outfit like Auto Zone to avoid being West Marined?                                                                                                                     2. Need 5? feet of 1 and a quarter fuel filler hose to replace original hose. My fuel tank has been cut out of the forepeak and is getting pressure tested to see if there are more leaks than the obvious one. Boat was down at the bow at some point in it's long life (1979 boat ) and rust started at the lowest point on the tank. Sites I visited (Paxton) among others want to sell me minimum of 12 and a half feet at big bucks. Any ideas? Thanks.

Morris Parra

I once used something other than Lewmar on my winches.  After a few months it became gummy.  I cleaned the winches again and  then used Lewmar winch grease and oil, which they sell in a kit.
Trying to save a few dollars there ended up not being worthwhile. 

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 11:13 AM Kevin Mcgrath via groups.io <kevinmcgrath730=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Matt Corwin

Normally hose is sold by the foot, Hamilton Marine will cut and ship.
If you need a new tank there is an outfit in Rhode Island that is reasonable and does good work.
As far as the winches you are better off using lewmar or barient winch lube unless you want to spend much time researching the composition of those specific types of grease.
Mostly all automotive grease is for high speed applications and those that are not are pretty low quality.
I use winch grease, if you were nearby I'd let you borrow a tube, because it takes just a little bit, a tube is a lifetime supply.
That said, if you do it annually and use marine grease then it will be OK and certainly better than not doing it at all.

Best, Matt

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: "Kevin Mcgrath via groups.io" <kevinmcgrath730@...>
Date: 3/31/22 11:13 AM (GMT-05:00)

I have good quality chain lube on my Yamaha. Stays on for 2 years exposed to the road. Should be good for years covered up in the winches. Good idea. Thanks.

On Thursday, March 31, 2022, 11:29:15 AM EDT, Lou Backover <lou.backover@...> wrote:

Best regards, 

Lou Backover 

812 Lombard St, # 28
Philadelphia, PA 19147 

From: Flicka20@groups.io <Flicka20@groups.io> on behalf of Kevin Mcgrath via groups.io <kevinmcgrath730@...>

Matt Corwin

Winch lube is grease for the gears, not oil, a better choice would be a teflon grease for the gears.
The springs and pawls are lubricated with a light oil very sparingly.
It is definitely worthwhile to get the Lewmar kit because it also has detailed and comprehensive instructions on the correct way to service a winch.

Date: 3/31/22 11:38 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Flicka20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Flicka20] 2 subjects.....

I have good quality chain lube on my Yamaha. Stays on for 2 years exposed to the road. Should be good for years covered up in the winches. Good idea. Thanks.

On Thursday, March 31, 2022, 11:29:15 AM EDT, Lou Backover <lou.backover@...> wrote:

Best regards, 

Lou Backover 

812 Lombard St, # 28
Philadelphia, PA 19147 

Daryl Clark

You can search online for USCG A1-15 fuel hose, look for low permeability, so you don’t end up smelling diesel in the cabin.

Make sure to verify the size of your hose barbs and fuel line - otherwise you will have problems with air in your fuel lines.

They will last another 25 or 30 years, so get the good stuff.

Daryl

--
Daryl Clark
S/Y Intuition - PSC 31 # 54
Formerly s/y Flicka 433 - Ballo Liscio
S/Y Jackito - Dana 222

Need the fuel fill hose. Other fuelfeed/breather lines are fairly new. Size is 1 and a 1/4. Not used much anymore it seems. Fisheries Supply is sold out of 1 1/4 but I imagine i can get by with 1 5/16. Will double clamp anyway. 28 bucks a foot?! 

On Friday, April 1, 2022, 09:34:48 AM EDT, Daryl Clark <dlclark@...> wrote:

You can search online for USCG A1-15 fuel hose, look for low permeability, so you don’t end up smelling diesel in the cabin.

Make sure to verify the size of your hose barbs and fuel line - otherwise you will have problems with air in your fuel lines.

Daryl

--
Daryl Clark
S/Y Jackito - Dana 222

Priscilla Wheatley

I worked at the West Marine store in Portland, Maine for several years while I had my Flicka.  Most people figure that WD-40 is all you need for loosening or lubricating screws, freeing up rusted fittings, etc.  It attracts dirt, doesn't last long, and can create a bigger mess if you aren't careful.  I don't remember brand names and it often was a tough sell, but it is worth getting quality lubricants for the boat.  There is no way I'd save bucks on lubricant for a piece of equipment that should last for years if properly maintained.  Odds are it will fail at the worst possible moment.

I have an extensive collection of stainless hardware because of West's employee discount.  I didn't think much beyond that until a lobsterman came over one day looking for two screws.  The yard hand sent him over and I had what he needed.  It saved him a 30-mile round trip to the closest store.   I kept the kit on the boat.  I still have it and use it from time to time. Rubbermaid has compartmented boxes that fit into toolbox.  I started with the usual commonly used fasteners, lock nuts, shackles, washers, etc.  I started adding parts for equipment, rigging etc. that were hard to find.  It came in handy when my VHF radio quit.  I had a handheld but it's not strong enough.  I was headed for Northeast Harbor where there was a guy who had radios etc on hand and installed them.  He needed something I had and he didn't.  He also checked my radar which I had tuned myself.  It was fine.

Be certain that you know if you need anything metric - tools or fasteners.  13 mm is close to 1/2" but not close enough that they are interchangeable.   Check whether you need very long screwdrivers for the head.  It's worth learning the mind-boggling array of screws, screw heads, threads, nuts, washers, split rings, hose clamps, etc.  A couple of days ago I saw a hint that used a small rubber-type material for removing stripped Phillips head screws. 

Matt Corwin

Hi, about that fuel fill pipe, I just called Hamilton Marine supply and they said 1 1/4" fuel line doesn't exist in their inventory.
It's going to be 1" or 1 1/2", im pretty sure the last one I did was 1,1/2"
If the pipe off of the tank is 1 1/4" perhaps you should have the tank company weld a 11/2" collar onto the existing stem.
Of course Hamilton might be wrong but they are the biggest Marine supply in the state of Maine.

Date: 4/1/22 10:50 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Flicka20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Flicka20] 2 subjects.....

Need the fuel fill hose. Other fuelfeed/breather lines are fairly new. Size is 1 and a 1/4. Not used much anymore it seems. Fisheries Supply is sold out of 1 1/4 but I imagine i can get by with 1 5/16. Will double clamp anyway. 28 bucks a foot?! 

Daryl

--
Daryl Clark
S/Y Jackito - Dana 222

Scott

On Apr 1, 2022, at 7:50 AM, Kevin Mcgrath via groups.io <kevinmcgrath730@...> wrote:

Daryl

--
Daryl Clark
S/Y Jackito - Dana 222