Re: Replacement Hatch

Matt Corwin

Does she have the wood caps?
I have templates for making new teak caps, I made mine from solid 1 1/2" teak with a 7/8" rubrail that hides the hull&deck joint. It is a tremendous upgrade to do because it looks so much better than stock and it gives a nice little bulwark for security at sea.
Anyway, I can provide the rough wood parts if you decide to tackle that project at some time.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 3/11/22 12:04 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: "'Flicka20@groups.io'" <Flicka20@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Flicka20] Replacement Hatch

Thanks for sharing this info, Matt.  We plan to take delivery of #377 in late April when she is scheduled for transport via trailer from NC to MI.  I suspect rehab will require 1-2 years and by necessity the interior will not be at the top of the to-do list.  I'll save your phone number for future reference.  I really like what you've done with your Flicka and I will study carefully any photos that you perhaps will share in the future.

Thanks again,
--Allen, Suttons Bay

-----------------------------------------

To: Flicka20@groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Friday March 11 2022 9:03:07AM

One of these days I should organize it all into an article but for the time being I can advise by phone.
In many cases where I thought I was taking good pictures that were more or less self explanatory, they weren't,  they need enhancement or cropping.
But some are ok, the knees for instance and the hatch frame are pretty good pictures, they are on my home computer so ill root around for them later and post.
The factory hatch frame is more or less a plywood ring that enabled the upholstery to be stapled up.
A more substantial frame has to be fabricated so as to terminate the paneling around the hatch.
The new painted cedar wood applied to the overhead area just in front of the companionway, the area where a person stands when at the galley, is glued directly to the fiberglass headliner for extra headroom. The rest is screwed to battens and therefore removable. There are access boards over the grabrail fasteners and wiring access is also there.
I also laminated cedar to the bottom of the sliding hatch and it looks nice when closed.
Of course it would be crazy to do all this without rebedding all the deck parts and running new wires etc.
There were hundreds and hundreds of rusty little staples to pull, many of them right into fiberglass...

Matt

Date: 3/11/22 8:33 AM (GMT-05:00)

A pdf or collection of pics w/explanation would be nice!
hint hint ;-)

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 8:23 AM Matt Corwin via groups.io <bongogram@...> wrote:
Hi, there are several primary points of interest in the reconstruction of the overhead that I would be happy to discuss with you. I did take pictures of the process and certain custom parts that had to be fabricated, the forward hatch frame and knees for the ends of the mast arch. Wiring is brought forward above those knees.
The handrail bolts require access and there is one big #14 screw that goes down through the grabrail (I think it's the 3rd or 4rth screw back that is driven into the arch, you need to get rid of that screw before its too late.
There were mast wires drilled through my arch, I repaired the hole and moved them to a safer location, etc
Call any time.
207 380-6942

Date: 3/10/22 10:02 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: "'Flicka20@groups.io'" <Flicka20@groups.io>

Hi Matt,

Yes, I'm interested in your overhead ceiling which appears to be white painted wood attached by screws.  Your overhead is clean, bright and appears to allow access if problems occur.  Our newly acquired Flicka (hull #377) has serious issues with water damage to the fabric liner.  Thanks for any information you'd care to share on how you finished your vessel's overhead.

--Allen

-----------------------------------------

Cc:
Sent: Thursday March 10 2022 4:06:55PM

I'm not sure if you are speaking of my  cabin ceiling job in my Flicka or another one?

Matt

Date: 3/10/22 2:08 PM (GMT-05:00)

Great photos of your replacement hatch.  Really like your boat's overhead treatment.  How was it done?  It looks great and appears to allow access if maintenance is needed.

Join Flicka20@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.