Re: BOWSPRIT

Matt Corwin

i

I am no stranger to stripping and finishing teak. I machine and construct
wood stuff for my living since 1984 and have been working on boats most of my life so lots of run ins with teak.
But yes,, there are many cases where scraping can be a superior method of smoothing wood, sometimes involving help from chemicals, but it would have taken years for the most talented scraper man, with a multitude of custom profiled scrapers and the skill to sharpen said scrapers, to do the teak on the boat in the picture I know, it took weeks with the highest quality sanders on the professional market. Heat and scraping was used where possible and then, 60- 120grit to get ready for Semco treatment. 
Trivia...traditional Japanese woodwork uses no sanding partly because sandpaper leaves grit in the work that dulls tools.
Matt

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 1/17/22 9:56 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Flicka20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Flicka20] BOWSPRIT

You’d be surprised if you’re careful you can get a polished finished if you hold sharp scraper at 90 degrees. Not tearing at it as with a house scraper. The scraper will only take the hard wood.  I keep the toe rail natural with a light bleach a few times per year with no harm done. 

Join Flicka20@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.