Re: BOWSPRIT

Antonio Martinez

Very nice ;-)

<sigh>  What I wouldn't give to have our boat in a shop!!

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 9:30 PM Matt Corwin via groups.io <bongogram=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Antonio! I laminated three layers to get the radius, I made a mold from several pieces of partical board that were scribed from the transom arch.
It was not fun.

-------- Original message --------
From: Antonio Martinez <middleriverstudio@...>
Date: 1/14/22 7:02 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: [Flicka20] BOWSPRIT

I like the idea of taller toerails.  Did you find any places where it was an issue?  IIRC it's a little tight under 'sprit platforms.
Also, how did you handle the transom (complex curve).  Even with 3/4-1" stock seems it could be a bear to cajole it in place.  Steambox?

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 6:56 PM Matt Corwin via groups.io <bongogram=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
My cap rails were still  servicabe but they were ugly from new and were one of the big upgrades to the boat that I wanted to have from day 1.
Pacific Seacraft did a terrible job making them in the first place, they are uneven on the inside where it would not be that difficult to run a trim router to make them follow the little bulwark edge and the outside where the rabbit is does not even cover the seam in the hull. I just replaced them on principal.
The real tough work wasting the set of patterns ( templates) for cutting the teak. I used full 1 1/2" teak for the job but mahogany could be substituted for a real savings in cost.
I also added a rubrail to the outside of the cap covering the hull to deck joint with a bronze guard strip and the end result is a correctly trimmed hull with an extra measure of safety because of the 2" high bullwark.
The scarf joints are tricky but what isn't in boatwork?
I can make the rough parts for any owner who wants to tackle the project.

From: "Steve via groups.io" <BULLDOGSTEVEDAVIS=YAHOO.COM@groups.io>
Date: 1/13/22 4:16 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Flicka 20 Group <flicka20@groups.io>
Subject: [Flicka20] BOWSPRIT

A few months ago I saw someone here made a beautiful bowsprit "wing" but  I  lost the contact and pic.  I'd like to hire that person to build be one for me  do to i busted one wing off.  If anyone can help id really appreciate it.

Also, my toe rail is teak.  Anyone taken off teak toe rail before?

Thanks
Steve