Re: Head choices

Carol Baker

I made a cardboard mockup of the C-head brand, size Shorty, and it fits under the v-berth where the porta-potti used to be.  The other brands were over 19” high .

In the meantime, I made up a 5-gal. bucket nested in another cut-down 5-gal. bucket screwed to the sole.  Pine chips are the medium for now.

Maybe I can bring wee boatie up to Oly and we can corral an installer for a two-fer price break????  Just a thought.

Best,
Carol
s/v Nika
1983 hull#263

On Mar 15, 2021, at 11:09 AM, Liveaboard Life <Noreenlight@...> wrote:

We are giving serious consideration to installing an Airhead. Currently we have a port-a-potty.

First, where to locate it?
As much as I love hearing that there's no smell whatsoever, it's hard to really believe it - reassure me!

If there is truly no odor, maybe it could go under the center section of the V-berth, where the port-a-potty currently sits. Yes, I know, that would be between two people sleeping in the V-berth. I can live with that if there's no odor.

A second possibility is to create a space on the starboard side, replacing a section of the setter with a hinged lid for an Airhead compartment, just forward of the wet locker.

Next,  because we do not have an existing plumbed marine toilet, we have no convenient deck opening for pump out to repurpose as a vent opening. And, I've read that it is preferable to place the vent at the aft end of the boat to keep any odor away from people.

So, routing the vent line will be a consideration, as well as placement of the exterior vent opening where it will be least likely to take in water and also least likely to direct odors to those onboard the boat.

If any of you have installed an Airhead or other composting toilet in one of these locations on your Flicka, please share any insights you may have.

Thank you.
Noreen
S/V Sweethaven
1983 Hull #237