Re: Hurricane Sandy

Nick D

Ivan, My opinion is that the chocks are primarily to protect the boat, not the lines. As far as protecting the lines, they are equivalent to a dull knife. I did some research and learned that heat inside the chafing gear can be the enemy. However, my practice is to let the lines over the toe rail with a higher board like a 2x4 on the deck, with chafing gear. I trap the chafing tube with a snubber so it stays in pace between the loop and the snubber. (I don't like tying a knot as it weakens the line) I also have a back up line with no strain usually tied elsewhere that the deck cleats so if there is a failure of the primary system, a second system that has not seen any strain can take over for the rest of the storm. I learned these tricks with one of my older boats that had to ride out big storms in a confined place. Another trick if your at a dock is to use thin, 3/8 3 strand nylon as long as possible as spring lines and have them carry most of the load. They are very stretchy so easier on the cleats on the boat and dock. Nick

--- In Flicka20@..., Thomas Phipps <tjphipps@...> wrote:

The Thursday before Sandy, I moved Black Pearl to Piermont on the Hudson River from City Island, planning on doing some river sailing next year.  She was hauled on Friday.  I don't know yet what the height of the surge was at this location, but it sent many boats up on shore, into houses, crashed on the rocks, you name it.  Black Pearl was in her cradle which was propped up on blocks.  My guess is that the surge was less than 5 feet as she would have been floating with more.  She came through with no problems.  Despite all of the visiting boats landing at the marina from elsewhere, none hit her on their way in.  I feel pretty lucky to be looking forward to a year of river sailing.

Tom

Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 11:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Flicka20] Re: Hurricane Sandy

Not to recommend it, but because of time constraints, or bad organization, I left Sans Souci on her mooring in Oyster's Bay West Harbor, quite a way in the water, about a 5 minutes ride with the Zodiac. She was also there for the Athena winter-storm which followed Sandy.

For Sandy I changed my normal mooring pattern which is to thread the mooring lines  through the front roller. I just had the two mooring lines/loops connected to the two front cleats after being jammed in the gunwale protecting bronze hardware (don't know the exact terminology) which came with the boat, mounted on the teak close to the bow. I used rubber chafe protectors. I also removed the ails and the boom.

Sans Souci survived without any damage (both storms). However the rubber chafe protectors wore through, and there are signs of melting on the rope. I am not going to use rubber chafe protectors in the future.
The boat is out of the water as of today, and tomorrow I will work on folding the mast. Ivan, Sans Souci on the Long Island Sound.

Sent: Friday, November 9, 2012 8:18 PM
Subject: [Flicka20] Re: Hurricane Sandy

We are located in Amityville NY. The surge and high tide arrived together. The surge was 2ft higher than the Irene surge, which was 1 ft higher than most ever seen here (and a good 5ft higher than a normal high tide). It's a good question about being safer on land or in the water. I could not ever stay at my slip for a storm like this because we'd be sideways to the worst weather and the dock and pilings are too close to leave enough slack in the docklines to handle the surge. I could move to a temporary place in the docks but once the surge is in, there's no second chance to make adjustments and you don't know what other boats and docks are going to do. Nick

40°39'33" N
73°25'26" W

BTW, just got our power back so just able to properly respond.

--- In Flicka20@..., Tom Beall <sbwye@> wrote:

Nick, where is your Flicka located?
Mine is in Lewes DE and lucky for me, the eye of Sandy landed further north than expected so boats at the Marina did not float even though the land is only about a foot high in elevation.
Tom

Sent: Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:37 PM
Subject: [Flicka20] Re: Hurricane Sandy

Just getting back online. Our Flicka is OK. Our home is OK but no power. Lot's of people worse off in my neighborhood with many people with 2 to 6 ft of water in their homes including my parents and a brother. It just came to the edge of our driveway.
Many boat yards are wrecked but ours is a little higher. Our boat actually floated with its trailer but stayed in place. Very big motorboats to each side floated but then leaned on other boats just leaving us a little tilted on our trailer, which I fixed today.
Boats at our club were in disarray. Yesterday we rescued 2 boats that floated across the river to a marsh with their trailers. The club house had 4ft inside . The garage collapsed on our 15 ft chase boat. I tied the committee boat (22 ft Stiegercraft) on long lines between the docks and it made it no problem considered 80 mph winds and at least 3 ft waves on the nose.

Hope everyone else is ok.
Nick

--- In Flicka20@..., Thomas Phipps <tjphipps@> wrote:

I hauled on Friday which was planned before the storm developed.  After Irene when he was in the water, I'm convinced that land is best place for her though there's guessing what extreme winds can do..

Tom Phipps

Sent: Friday, October 26, 2012 7:39 PM
Subject: [Flicka20] Hurricane Sandy

I just hauled today to get ready for Sandy. Insurance pays half for a named storm so $200 out of pocket is a safe bet against a ruined boat, even if I have insurance. I could use a paint job but not that way. Anyone else dealing with Sandy?

Join Flicka20@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.