--- In Flicka20@..., Thomas Phipps <tjphipps@...> wrote:

The Thursday before Sandy, I moved Black Pearl to Piermont on the Hudson River from City Island, planning on doing some river sailing next year.  She was hauled on Friday.  I don't know yet what the height of the surge was at this location, but it sent many boats up on shore, into houses, crashed on the rocks, you name it.  Black Pearl was in her cradle which was propped up on blocks.  My guess is that the surge was less than 5 feet as she would have been floating with more.  She came through with no problems.  Despite all of the visiting boats landing at the marina from elsewhere, none hit her on their way in.  I feel pretty lucky to be looking forward to a year of river sailing.

Tom

________________________________
From: Ivan Kadar <ivankadar@...>
To: "Flicka20@..." <Flicka20@...>
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 11:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Flicka20] Re: Hurricane Sandy

Not to recommend it, but because of time constraints, or bad organization, I left Sans Souci on her mooring in Oyster's Bay West Harbor, quite a way in the water, about a 5 minutes ride with the Zodiac. She was also there for the Athena winter-storm which followed Sandy.

For Sandy I changed my normal mooring pattern which is to thread the mooring lines  through the front roller. I just had the two mooring lines/loops connected to the two front cleats after being jammed in the gunwale protecting bronze hardware (don't know the exact terminology) which came with the boat, mounted on the teak close to the bow. I used rubber chafe protectors. I also removed the ails and the boom.

Sans Souci survived without any damage (both storms). However the rubber chafe protectors wore through, and there are signs of melting on the rope. I am not going to use rubber chafe protectors in the future.
The boat is out of the water as of today, and tomorrow I will work on folding the mast. Ivan, Sans Souci on the Long Island Sound.