From: Daryl <dlclark@...>
Subject: [Flicka20] Re: Marine Head - filling with water
To: Flicka20@...
Date: Wednesday, August 24, 2011, 9:37 AM

I am going to check out the vented loop when I go to the boat this weekend. Seems like a logical place to start. Bottom line: the seacock for the head is off when not in use to flush the toilet!

Daryl
S/Y Ballo Liscio - Flicka 433

--- In Flicka20@..., "angusbeare2002" <gus@> wrote:

I fitted a vented loop as Bob did. I never had a problem when I was on board all the time but I left the sea cock open once recently and came back to a full bowl.

this might help:

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/13.htm

--- In Flicka20@..., Robert Collier <rhcmkc1@> wrote:

Daryl---The first question is easy to answer, the inlet line for the toilet began to siphon water to the toilet bowl and evntually overflow and could have sunk the boat.  One answer, not one I'd recommend from personal experience, is to install a vented loop between the seacock and the head.  It will solve the problem of an accidentally opened seacock, for the venting stops the siphoning.  However, I did just that on the recommendation of West Marine's catalogue. But I could only get a small amount of water to enter the bowl (it was the same as trying to sip a soda through a straw with a hole in the straw, no suction).  So now I have a vented loop between the pump and the entry to the bowl because you can push fluids past a vented loop but not suction fluids past the loop. I'm told this is the correct way to go, hopefully I'll not find out otherwise.
   As to the second question, you must have an automatic bilge pump that was activated, because I don't know of any toilet that has a hose to the bilge (sounds smelly).
Bob (Red Rascal)