Topics

What kind of FRS owner, potential owner, or radio operator are you? #poll

Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ

What kind of FRS owner, potential owner, or radio operator are you?  What are your interests?

Poll inspired by Eric / K2CB -- expanded choices to get even more input about your interests. 

As always these polls are not scientific but can be interesting to see what folks think.  Ignore them if not interested.  Multiple choices are allowed.

Results

See Who Responded

G.E. Obrien

3,6,8,12,13,19,22,24,26,and 27
Thanks Al
W4HXJ

On Jan 30, 2019, at 12:05 PM, Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ <al@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

What kind of FRS owner, potential owner, or radio operator are you?  What are your interests?

Poll inspired by Eric / K2CB -- expanded choices to get even more input about your interests. 

As always these polls are not scientific but can be interesting to see what folks think.  Ignore them if not interested.  Multiple choices are allowed.

1. Serious single OP contester
2. Serious multi/multi, SO2R, etc contester
3. Casual contester
4. Ragchewer
5. Serious DXer
6. Casual DXer
7. ESSB aficionado
8. CW OP
9. SSB Op
10. Primarily HF
11. Primarily VHF
12. All ham bands OP
13. Digital modes
14. SSTV
15. Low Power, QRP
16. Full power ( 100W etc)
17. Legal limit power ( KW, 1,500, etc)
18. Enjoy testing bleeding edge enhancements
19. Prefer stable functional system (software, hardware, etc)
20. Operate almost daily
21. Operate weekly
22. Operate occasionally (monthly, etc)
23. Interested in Remote operation
24. Not interested in Remote operation
25. Interested in letting others use my station
26. Not interested in letting others use my station
27. New Features - Would like to see more of the user requested ideas implemented sooner
28. New Features - what ever FRS want to add is fine with me
29. Something else (post your comments in the thread)

Vote Now

N S

Always wanted to see squelch for my 6700.  It never happened.  I also wanted them to fix the 2m offset problem on the 6700.  It never happened.

I got frustrated and sold the Flex.  Got a different rig and it does just fine for me.  I may go back to Flex but not until they start providing some of the things I want.  8 receivers and no squelch isn't much fun.  Neither is having to screw around with the TX and RX offsets for 2m.  

Norm

dan edwards

and, am < I > the only guy who's unhappy with the noise blankers? they do nothing
 to my s-8 line noise on 160m...

maybe i'll hold out for V 4 ??  73, dan, w5xz

On Thursday, January 31, 2019, 2:45:22 PM CST, N S via Groups.Io <kl7rs@...> wrote:

Always wanted to see squelch for my 6700.  It never happened.  I also wanted them to fix the 2m offset problem on the 6700.  It never happened.

I got frustrated and sold the Flex.  Got a different rig and it does just fine for me.  I may go back to Flex but not until they start providing some of the things I want.  8 receivers and no squelch isn't much fun.  Neither is having to screw around with the TX and RX offsets for 2m.  

Norm

Bill

This is the reason we use Slice master.  It works.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2019-01-31 4:04 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlexRadioSmartSDR] What kind of FRS owner, potential owner, or radio operator are you? #poll

and, am < I > the only guy who's unhappy with the noise blankers? they do nothing
 to my s-8 line noise on 160m...

maybe i'll hold out for V 4 ??  73, dan, w5xz

On Thursday, January 31, 2019, 2:45:22 PM CST, N S via Groups.Io <kl7rs@...> wrote:

Norm

SR-71 <kf4hrkf4hr@...>

Hi Norm,

I own a 6700 and share your frustration with a lack of squelch and 2M issues, although I found RFStack program does a good job of adding all-mode squelch to each individual slice.

IMO, the 2M issue is a minor inconvenience (I developed a work-around for it), and all the advantages of my Flex far outweigh its minor inconveniences.

Butch, KF4HR

Mike Kovacich <ve3cko@...>

Norm, I have 6700 and also complained about 2m RIT XIT offsets in the community. Howard suggested using macros with DDUTIL, since I was already using DDUTIL I just had to figure out how to use the macro feature, did that and was satisfied until a year or so later DDUTIL crashed, so instead of reloading it I decided just to continue to use FRstack software which has memory store and yes it saves everything including RIT XIT settings.

Don't need any squelch for HF as I use the AGC quite effectively. I have lots of fun with my Flexradio. I would never have gotten 6 band DXCC in my first 2 years of operation without the superior radio, even during this low time of the cycle. Maybe it was superior operating techniques, ha, ha but now at 7-band DXCC working on 9. There is no way in the world any Icom, Anon, Kenwood or Yaesu would have allowed me to achieve what I did as fast as I did. Often I would work DXpeditions on multi-bands quite successfully using 4 or 5 slices using the pan-adapter to my full advantage.

73, Mike Kovacich - VE3CKO

On 1/31/2019 2:56 PM, N S via Groups.Io wrote:

Norm

WB9JPH

The items that would get me to open my wallet most quickly for v3 would be improvements in:  NB, WNB, ANF.

Jim KE4WY

Ditto

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 6:29 PM WB9JPH via Groups.Io <wb9jph=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
The items that would get me to open my wallet most quickly for v3 would be improvements in:  NB, WNB, ANF.

Jim Gilliam

Yep, I would gladly pay 300 dollars for enhancements of the intrinsic radio functions and not the network glitter. I still prefer VPN.

Jim, K6QE

Sent from Outlook

From: FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io <FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io> on behalf of Jim KE4WY <jdenan@...>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: [FlexRadioSmartSDR] What kind of FRS owner, potential owner, or radio operator are you?

Ditto

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 6:29 PM WB9JPH via Groups.Io <wb9jph=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Bill

For me WNB is remarkable. Without it some times working 40m is impossible. So I can say it sure works.

Date: 2019-01-31 6:29 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Re: [FlexRadioSmartSDR] What kind of FRS owner, potential owner, or radio operator are you?

Carl Moreschi

Yes, I also find the WNB to be the best noise blanker I have ever used. But you need to set it to between 90 and 97 and give it about 10 seconds to lock onto the noise. Then it's amazing.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com

On 1/31/2019 10:27 PM, Bill wrote:
For me WNB is remarkable. Without it some times working 40m is
impossible. So I can say it sure works.

Subject: Re: [FlexRadioSmartSDR] What kind of FRS owner, potential
owner, or radio operator are you?

The items that would get me to open my wallet most quickly for v3 would
be improvements in: NB, WNB, ANF.

Dave wo2x

I agree on WNB. Excellent against powerline noise. I have seen a 30 dB reduction of noise floor. I have some Youtube videos of it in action.

Dave wo2x

On Jan 31, 2019, at 10:30 PM, Carl Moreschi <n4py3@...> wrote:

Yes, I also find the WNB to be the best noise blanker I have ever used. But you need to set it to between 90 and 97 and give it about 10 seconds to lock onto the noise. Then it's amazing.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com

On 1/31/2019 10:27 PM, Bill wrote:
For me WNB is remarkable. Without it some times working 40m is
impossible. So I can say it sure works.

Subject: Re: [FlexRadioSmartSDR] What kind of FRS owner, potential
owner, or radio operator are you?

The items that would get me to open my wallet most quickly for v3 would
be improvements in: NB, WNB, ANF.

STEVE JONES GW0GEI

Same here - nb, wnb, and anf need improving; plus all mode squelch, but the main reason i sold my flex 6300 was the random network / firmware crashes I was experiencing mid qso / mid contest. If/when the 6600  and ssdr matches the rx performance of my anan 7000dle with its superior nr2, nb2, working anf and apf, all mode squelch, and full diversity beam steering I might be tempted by the so2r facilities of the 6600 and flex amp. In the meantime so2v, with the anan driving the new hf gemini 1kw pa, with pure signal pre distortion feedback running from the sampler in the amp, is proving difficult to beat for low band dxing and 6m low noise dx work and a clean tx signal.
Steve gw0gei / gw9j

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 11:29 PM +0000, "WB9JPH via Groups.Io" <wb9jph@...> wrote:

Gary Wilburn

I would gladly pay $300 for the upgrade that improves the ANF and other noise migration tools. I like chasing weak signal DX and new mode / band countries. Depending on your operating style and preferences I can understand why noise migration could be a lower priority. Some will say it is just fine for how they currently operate.

I have a 6300, 6600 and a Maestro and will need to decide if I will use the new v3 multi client features. If the feedback and usability of V3 is good I will most probably purchase it.

It would be nice to see a road map or plan for SSDR versions 3, 4 and 5. Not so much timelines but what else has to be developed before noise migration tools and other planned features can be implemented.

Gary W8VI

From: FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io [mailto:FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim KE4WY
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:43 PM

Ditto

Bill

All good points Gary.
Because the Flex receiver is so good I find that I never have a need for most of the filters. But I do use WNB at times when I have power line noise and it knocks  it out 100%. As for anf. I use the notch filter which works better. Noise mitigation is large project and would need a lot of resources to work on it.

I too may not buy into v3 right away either.  But keep in mind there will be about 5 updates for v3 in the next year or so. Perhaps if something comes out that I like maybe. 

I don't know if a road map would be a good thing. What would happen if they set out a map then a little while later for some reason they needed to change it. Could you just hear the noise from that?

One thing Gerald knows now is that it really does not matter what they plan there will always be some complaining either way. For right now the contest community holds the big stick. Maybe that will change sometime. 

Date: 2019-01-31 9:31 PM (GMT-05:00)

I would gladly pay $300 for the upgrade that improves the ANF and other noise migration tools. I like chasing weak signal DX and new mode / band countries. Depending on your operating style and preferences I can understand why noise migration could be a lower priority. Some will say it is just fine for how they currently operate.

I have a 6300, 6600 and a Maestro and will need to decide if I will use the new v3 multi client features. If the feedback and usability of V3 is good I will most probably purchase it.

It would be nice to see a road map or plan for SSDR versions 3, 4 and 5. Not so much timelines but what else has to be developed before noise migration tools and other planned features can be implemented.

Gary W8VI

From: FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io [mailto:FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim KE4WY
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:43 PM

Ditto

peril2k

I would gladly pay to not have DAX turn itself off unexpectedly and have MON blast me at 130db when I have already turned it down.

Mike Pappas

I have never had these types of issues.

Mike Pappas
W9CN
303-988-0976
advanceddigital@...

On Feb 7, 2019, at 9:37 PM, peril2k via Groups.Io <peril2k@...> wrote:

I would gladly pay to not have DAX turn itself off unexpectedly and have MON blast me at 130db when I have already turned it down.
_._,_._,

kf4hr3@...

Overall I'm a happy Flex owner, in fact I have no wish to own any other brand transceiver at this time.  The 6xxx series has amazing operational flexibility, although I do find it a bit odd that Flex Radio Systems promotes the Flex 6xxx series transceivers as Contesting and DX'ing platforms yet they are not putting more effort into improving its noise reduction features.  Many times these aspects of the hobby involve extracting weak signals out of the noise.  The ANF and NR functions could use some improvement. 

Butch
KF4HR

Jim Gilliam

I sometimes think their programmers are more versed in the networking aspect than the DSP engineering aspect.

Jim, K6QE

Sent from Outlook

From: FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io <FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io> on behalf of kf4hr3 via Groups.Io <kf4hr3@...>
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 4:56 AM

Overall I'm a happy Flex owner, in fact I have no wish to own any other brand transceiver at this time.  The 6xxx series has amazing operational flexibility, although I do find it a bit odd that Flex Radio Systems promotes the Flex 6xxx series transceivers as Contesting and DX'ing platforms yet they are not putting more effort into improving its noise reduction features.  Many times these aspects of the hobby involve extracting weak signals out of the noise.  The ANF and NR functions could use some improvement. 

Butch
KF4HR

Frank Kirschner

I have. The MON function turns on and off at random, and the level changes unexpectedly without operator intervention. The MIC level goes up and down on its own, as do other parameters. Yes, I've read the manual.

Occasionally, the Maestro will lock up, as does the 6600 itself. This is mostly during receive, so it isn't an RFI problem.

The existing software could be made more robust.

Frank
KF6E

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 6:30 AM Mike Pappas via Groups.Io <advanceddigital=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Mike Pappas
W9CN
303-988-0976
advanceddigital@...

Michael Walker

Hi Frank

If it is locking up, then I would make sure you get a support ticket opened.  There is no cost to do this.   Do you want me to open a case for you?

As  a test, if you run a LAN cable directly from the radio to the computer (or Maestro) without being part of the house LAN, do you still have the lockups?

Mike va3mw

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 9:35 AM Frank Kirschner <frank.kirschner@...> wrote:
I have. The MON function turns on and off at random, and the level changes unexpectedly without operator intervention. The MIC level goes up and down on its own, as do other parameters. Yes, I've read the manual.

Occasionally, the Maestro will lock up, as does the 6600 itself. This is mostly during receive, so it isn't an RFI problem.

Frank
KF6E

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 6:30 AM Mike Pappas via Groups.Io <advanceddigital=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Mike Pappas
W9CN
303-988-0976
advanceddigital@...

Mike Pappas

Hi Frank,

I have a 2013 6700 and a first production run Maestro.  I run the Maestro Monday to Friday usually 12 hours a day listening to KOA 850.  I run the Smart SDR on an antique Lenovo i5 with 32 bit Windows 7 and the external USB Flex “VFO knob”.  

I can’t recall any lockups, crashes or poltergeist behavior.  Its been extremely stable, way beyond what I would expect in a Windows environment (which usually requires a small animal sacrifice to work at all).  It should be noted that I am not running anything else on the Lenovo.  No Office or Outlook or other applications.  

I have had issues with Windows getting stupid with USB driver/port handling and have had to go into Device Manager and lobotomize the comms setup which didn’t like the Motorola APX CPS vs. TRBO CPS vs. Astro CPS drivers but I am not putting any of that on SmartSDR.  It the usual Windows stupidity of making multiple USB driver copies randomly until it explodes.

My logging software is MacLogger DX which connects to the 6700 reliably, runs it remotely and put the “spots” on the SmartSDR panadapter display on the Lenovo without any drama.  I have also used the DogPark Mac SDR software on my iPad Pro and that runs without issue.

If I was seeing those types of issues I would start by deleting everything that wasn’t bolted down and do a clean install of SmartSDR.  That would include rooting out old drivers and DLL and all of the Windows junk that seems to stick around forever and can’t be gotten rid of without manual intervention.  If that doesn’t work I would find another machine and try that.  A full wipe with a clean OS install might be in order and then just install the SmartSDR.

Mike Pappas
W9CN
303-988-0976
advanceddigital@...

On Feb 8, 2019, at 7:34 AM, Frank Kirschner <frank.kirschner@...> wrote:

Frank
KF6E

Rob Sherwood

Hi Mike,

I worked for KOA from 1969 through 1987, including keeping the 50 KW transmitters on the air.  Small world.  

Do you need a 1.8 MHz high pass filter on any of your radios since you are also located in Parker?

In 1969 there was nothing in Parker but a Village Inn and a gas station across the street from the tower.  Now it looks like LA !

Rob, NC0B

From: FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io [mailto:FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Pappas via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2019 8:08 AM

Hi Frank,

I have a 2013 6700 and a first production run Maestro.  I run the Maestro Monday to Friday usually 12 hours a day listening to KOA 850.  I run the Smart SDR on an antique Lenovo i5 with 32 bit Windows 7 and the external USB Flex “VFO knob”.  

I can’t recall any lockups, crashes or poltergeist behavior.  Its been extremely stable, way beyond what I would expect in a Windows environment (which usually requires a small animal sacrifice to work at all).  It should be noted that I am not running anything else on the Lenovo.  No Office or Outlook or other applications.  

I have had issues with Windows getting stupid with USB driver/port handling and have had to go into Device Manager and lobotomize the comms setup which didn’t like the Motorola APX CPS vs. TRBO CPS vs. Astro CPS drivers but I am not putting any of that on SmartSDR.  It the usual Windows stupidity of making multiple USB driver copies randomly until it explodes.

My logging software is MacLogger DX which connects to the 6700 reliably, runs it remotely and put the “spots” on the SmartSDR panadapter display on the Lenovo without any drama.  I have also used the DogPark Mac SDR software on my iPad Pro and that runs without issue.

If I was seeing those types of issues I would start by deleting everything that wasn’t bolted down and do a clean install of SmartSDR.  That would include rooting out old drivers and DLL and all of the Windows junk that seems to stick around forever and can’t be gotten rid of without manual intervention.  If that doesn’t work I would find another machine and try that.  A full wipe with a clean OS install might be in order and then just install the SmartSDR.

Mike Pappas
W9CN
303-988-0976
advanceddigital@...

Frank

KF6E

If this email is spam, report it to www.OnlyMyEmail.com

Mike Pappas

Hi Rob,

I am about 3.5 miles to the KOA TX site.  I haven’t had any overload issues with the 6700 except when using the DX Engineering loop antenna (null towards KOA) and listening to KOA at which point the Maestro “S” meter flashes to let you know its not happy.  I think I measured the 850 level off the loop a couple of years back with my FSH-4 and it was something spectacular like 0 dBm.  

If I am on the B&W 160 foot FTD the -10 dB pad is on and the Flex the “S” meter is 60 over.

Working 160M with the loop isn’t a problem at all.

Mike Pappas
Pappas Consulting LLC
303-988-0976

On Feb 8, 2019, at 8:32 AM, Rob Sherwood <rob@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,

I worked for KOA from 1969 through 1987, including keeping the 50 KW transmitters on the air.  Small world.  
Do you need a 1.8 MHz high pass filter on any of your radios since you are also located in Parker?
In 1969 there was nothing in Parker but a Village Inn and a gas station across the street from the tower.  Now it looks like LA !
Rob, NC0B

From: FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io [mailto:FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Pappas via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2019 8:08 AM
To: FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlexRadioSmartSDR] What kind of FRS owner, potential owner, or radio operator are you?

Hi Frank,

Mike Pappas
W9CN
303-988-0976
advanceddigital@...

Frank
KF6E

If this email is spam, report it to www.OnlyMyEmail.com

Jim Gilliam

An alternative is to run WintoUSB. I take a new computer with a fresh copy of Windows 10 load in all my programs including SmartSDR and clone all this to a fast thumbdrive. When I want to use Flex, I just boot up the thumbdrive. Also have the thumbdrive set to metered so there a no updates. I am laughing all the way to the bank.

Jim, K6QE

Sent from Outlook

From: FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io <FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io> on behalf of Rob Sherwood <rob@...>
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 7:32 AM

Hi Mike,

Rob, NC0B

From: FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io [mailto:FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Pappas via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2019 8:08 AM

Hi Frank,

Mike Pappas
W9CN
303-988-0976
advanceddigital@...

Frank

KF6E

Rob Sherwood

Hi Mike,

At my QTH 35 miles east of Ft Collins, the 50KW (daytime) on 760 kHz is -6 dBm on my 160m Marconi T antenna.  About half the radios that pass through my place during contest evaluations on 160m need a high pass filter.  The 6700 did not need any extra help.

Rob, NC0B

On Feb 8, 2019, at 9:02 AM, Mike Pappas via Groups.Io <advanceddigital@...> wrote:

Hi Rob,

I am about 3.5 miles to the KOA TX site.  I haven’t had any overload issues with the 6700 except when using the DX Engineering loop antenna (null towards KOA) and listening to KOA at which point the Maestro “S” meter flashes to let you know its not happy.  I think I measured the 850 level off the loop a couple of years back with my FSH-4 and it was something spectacular like 0 dBm.  

If I am on the B&W 160 foot FTD the -10 dB pad is on and the Flex the “S” meter is 60 over.

Working 160M with the loop isn’t a problem at all.

Mike Pappas
Pappas Consulting LLC
303-988-0976

On Feb 8, 2019, at 8:32 AM, Rob Sherwood <rob@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,

Rob, NC0B

From: FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io [mailto:FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Pappas via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2019 8:08 AM
To: FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io
Subject: Re: [FlexRadioSmartSDR] What kind of FRS owner, potential owner, or radio operator are you?

Hi Frank,

Mike Pappas
W9CN
303-988-0976
advanceddigital@...

Frank
KF6E

If this email is spam, report it to www.OnlyMyEmail.com