Topics

What kind of FRS owner, potential owner, or radio operator are you? #poll

Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ

What kind of FRS owner, potential owner, or radio operator are you?  What are your interests?

Poll inspired by Eric / K2CB -- expanded choices to get even more input about your interests.

As always these polls are not scientific but can be interesting to see what folks think.  Ignore them if not interested.  Multiple choices are allowed.

Results

See Who Responded

G.E. Obrien

3,6,8,12,13,19,22,24,26,and 27
Thanks Al
W4HXJ

On Jan 30, 2019, at 12:05 PM, Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ <al@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

What kind of FRS owner, potential owner, or radio operator are you?  What are your interests?

Poll inspired by Eric / K2CB -- expanded choices to get even more input about your interests.

As always these polls are not scientific but can be interesting to see what folks think.  Ignore them if not interested.  Multiple choices are allowed.

1. Serious single OP contester
2. Serious multi/multi, SO2R, etc contester
3. Casual contester
4. Ragchewer
5. Serious DXer
6. Casual DXer
7. ESSB aficionado
8. CW OP
9. SSB Op
10. Primarily HF
11. Primarily VHF
12. All ham bands OP
13. Digital modes
14. SSTV
15. Low Power, QRP
16. Full power ( 100W etc)
17. Legal limit power ( KW, 1,500, etc)
18. Enjoy testing bleeding edge enhancements
19. Prefer stable functional system (software, hardware, etc)
20. Operate almost daily
21. Operate weekly
22. Operate occasionally (monthly, etc)
23. Interested in Remote operation
24. Not interested in Remote operation
25. Interested in letting others use my station
26. Not interested in letting others use my station
27. New Features - Would like to see more of the user requested ideas implemented sooner
28. New Features - what ever FRS want to add is fine with me
29. Something else (post your comments in the thread)

Vote Now

N S

Always wanted to see squelch for my 6700.  It never happened.  I also wanted them to fix the 2m offset problem on the 6700.  It never happened.

I got frustrated and sold the Flex.  Got a different rig and it does just fine for me.  I may go back to Flex but not until they start providing some of the things I want.  8 receivers and no squelch isn't much fun.  Neither is having to screw around with the TX and RX offsets for 2m.

Norm

dan edwards

and, am < I > the only guy who's unhappy with the noise blankers? they do nothing
 to my s-8 line noise on 160m...

maybe i'll hold out for V 4 ??  73, dan, w5xz

On Thursday, January 31, 2019, 2:45:22 PM CST, N S via Groups.Io <kl7rs@...> wrote:

Always wanted to see squelch for my 6700.  It never happened.  I also wanted them to fix the 2m offset problem on the 6700.  It never happened.

I got frustrated and sold the Flex.  Got a different rig and it does just fine for me.  I may go back to Flex but not until they start providing some of the things I want.  8 receivers and no squelch isn't much fun.  Neither is having to screw around with the TX and RX offsets for 2m.

Norm

Bill

This is the reason we use Slice master.  It works.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

and, am < I > the only guy who's unhappy with the noise blankers? they do nothing
 to my s-8 line noise on 160m...

maybe i'll hold out for V 4 ??  73, dan, w5xz

On Thursday, January 31, 2019, 2:45:22 PM CST, N S via Groups.Io <kl7rs@...> wrote:

Always wanted to see squelch for my 6700.  It never happened.  I also wanted them to fix the 2m offset problem on the 6700.  It never happened.

I got frustrated and sold the Flex.  Got a different rig and it does just fine for me.  I may go back to Flex but not until they start providing some of the things I want.  8 receivers and no squelch isn't much fun.  Neither is having to screw around with the TX and RX offsets for 2m.

Norm

SR-71 <kf4hrkf4hr@...>

Hi Norm,

 I own a 6700 and share your frustration with a lack of squelch and 2M issues, although I found RFStack program does a good job of adding all-mode squelch to each individual slice.

IMO, the 2M issue is a minor inconvenience (I developed a work-around for it), and all the advantages of my Flex far outweigh its minor inconveniences.

Butch, KF4HR

Mike Kovacich <ve3cko@...>

Norm, I have 6700 and also complained about 2m RIT XIT offsets in the community. Howard suggested using macros with DDUTIL, since I was already using DDUTIL I just had to figure out how to use the macro feature, did that and was satisfied until a year or so later DDUTIL crashed, so instead of reloading it I decided just to continue to use FRstack software which has memory store and yes it saves everything including RIT XIT settings.

Don't need any squelch for HF as I use the AGC quite effectively. I have lots of fun with my Flexradio. I would never have gotten 6 band DXCC in my first 2 years of operation without the superior radio, even during this low time of the cycle. Maybe it was superior operating techniques, ha, ha but now at 7-band DXCC working on 9. There is no way in the world any Icom, Anon, Kenwood or Yaesu would have allowed me to achieve what I did as fast as I did. Often I would work DXpeditions on multi-bands quite successfully using 4 or 5 slices using the pan-adapter to my full advantage.

73, Mike Kovacich - VE3CKO

On 1/31/2019 2:56 PM, N S via Groups.Io wrote:
Always wanted to see squelch for my 6700.  It never happened.  I also wanted them to fix the 2m offset problem on the 6700.  It never happened.

I got frustrated and sold the Flex.  Got a different rig and it does just fine for me.  I may go back to Flex but not until they start providing some of the things I want.  8 receivers and no squelch isn't much fun.  Neither is having to screw around with the TX and RX offsets for 2m.

Norm

WB9JPH

The items that would get me to open my wallet most quickly for v3 would be improvements in:  NB, WNB, ANF.

Jim KE4WY

Ditto

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 6:29 PM WB9JPH via Groups.Io <wb9jph=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
The items that would get me to open my wallet most quickly for v3 would be improvements in:  NB, WNB, ANF.

Jim Gilliam

Yep, I would gladly pay 300 dollars for enhancements of the intrinsic radio functions and not the network glitter. I still prefer VPN.

Jim, K6QE

Sent from Outlook

The items that would get me to open my wallet most quickly for v3 would be improvements in:  NB, WNB, ANF.

Bill

For me WNB is remarkable. Without it some times working 40m is impossible. So I can say it sure works.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

The items that would get me to open my wallet most quickly for v3 would be improvements in:  NB, WNB, ANF.

Carl Moreschi

Yes, I also find the WNB to be the best noise blanker I have ever used. But you need to set it to between 90 and 97 and give it about 10 seconds to lock onto the noise. Then it's amazing.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com

On 1/31/2019 10:27 PM, Bill wrote:
For me WNB is remarkable. Without it some times working 40m is
impossible. So I can say it sure works.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

The items that would get me to open my wallet most quickly for v3 would
be improvements in: NB, WNB, ANF.

Dave wo2x

I agree on WNB. Excellent against powerline noise. I have seen a 30 dB reduction of noise floor. I have some Youtube videos of it in action.

Dave wo2x

On Jan 31, 2019, at 10:30 PM, Carl Moreschi <n4py3@...> wrote:

Yes, I also find the WNB to be the best noise blanker I have ever used. But you need to set it to between 90 and 97 and give it about 10 seconds to lock onto the noise. Then it's amazing.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
58 Hogwood Rd
Louisburg, NC 27549
www.n4py.com

On 1/31/2019 10:27 PM, Bill wrote:
For me WNB is remarkable. Without it some times working 40m is
impossible. So I can say it sure works.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

The items that would get me to open my wallet most quickly for v3 would
be improvements in: NB, WNB, ANF.

STEVE JONES GW0GEI

Same here - nb, wnb, and anf need improving; plus all mode squelch, but the main reason i sold my flex 6300 was the random network / firmware crashes I was experiencing mid qso / mid contest. If/when the 6600  and ssdr matches the rx performance of my anan 7000dle with its superior nr2, nb2, working anf and apf, all mode squelch, and full diversity beam steering I might be tempted by the so2r facilities of the 6600 and flex amp. In the meantime so2v, with the anan driving the new hf gemini 1kw pa, with pure signal pre distortion feedback running from the sampler in the amp, is proving difficult to beat for low band dxing and 6m low noise dx work and a clean tx signal.
73
Steve gw0gei / gw9j

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 11:29 PM +0000, "WB9JPH via Groups.Io" <wb9jph@...> wrote:

The items that would get me to open my wallet most quickly for v3 would be improvements in:  NB, WNB, ANF.

Gary Wilburn

I would gladly pay $300 for the upgrade that improves the ANF and other noise migration tools. I like chasing weak signal DX and new mode / band countries. Depending on your operating style and preferences I can understand why noise migration could be a lower priority. Some will say it is just fine for how they currently operate.

I have a 6300, 6600 and a Maestro and will need to decide if I will use the new v3 multi client features. If the feedback and usability of V3 is good I will most probably purchase it.

It would be nice to see a road map or plan for SSDR versions 3, 4 and 5. Not so much timelines but what else has to be developed before noise migration tools and other planned features can be implemented.

73,

Gary W8VI

The items that would get me to open my wallet most quickly for v3 would be improvements in:  NB, WNB, ANF.

peril2k

I would gladly pay to not have DAX turn itself off unexpectedly and have MON blast me at 130db when I have already turned it down.

Mike Pappas

I have never had these types of issues.

Mike Pappas
W9CN
303-988-0976
advanceddigital@...

On Feb 7, 2019, at 9:37 PM, peril2k via Groups.Io <peril2k@...> wrote:

I would gladly pay to not have DAX turn itself off unexpectedly and have MON blast me at 130db when I have already turned it down.
_._,_._,

kf4hr3@...

Overall I'm a happy Flex owner, in fact I have no wish to own any other brand transceiver at this time.  The 6xxx series has amazing operational flexibility, although I do find it a bit odd that Flex Radio Systems promotes the Flex 6xxx series transceivers as Contesting and DX'ing platforms yet they are not putting more effort into improving its noise reduction features.  Many times these aspects of the hobby involve extracting weak signals out of the noise.  The ANF and NR functions could use some improvement.

Butch
KF4HR

Jim Gilliam

I sometimes think their programmers are more versed in the networking aspect than the DSP engineering aspect.

Jim, K6QE

Sent from Outlook