Topics

CPU and FPGA Fan locations

Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ

RE:
Hello Al-
Might be helpful to identify which fan is the CPU and which is the FPGA in your pictures.
My experience with fan failures, when they cool off they may restart and run fine for many hours. Knowing which fan to replace can be helpful.
All three of my fans that failed when running the radio 24X7 will run fine for a few hours [on the bench] and then start to vibrate and slow down causing the front panel errors.
73;
Bill W2PKY

Hi Bill,
I haven't needed to replace mine yet but have them ready to go.  The video on my web page is by Manuel / W4SSB, and he shows the process for replacing  them but didn't mention which one is which.  I believe the thinking is if you are doing the replacement process you would replace both of them anyway.  The cost is not too high and if one fails the other may be close to failing.

However if someone can identify which one is which I'll add it to the web page.  Here is a snap from Manuel's video.

Here is a link the FAN info on my web page:  http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#FANs_

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Bill Barrett

Hi Al-
Think the one on the right is the CPU, on the left FPGA.
Could be wrong.

Bill

On Feb 4, 2019, at 7:52 PM, Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ <al@...> wrote:

[...]

<6700 CPU FPGA Fan Locations.jpg>

Al Ludwick / NN4ZZ

Hi Bill,
You are right about the fan locations.  I was able to figure it out from a very close look at the pictures, markings on the board and locations of surrounding parts and connectors.  My web page has been updated with the details.