Topics

Seeking Drone Purchasing Advice

I have a commercial photo client that is requiring me provide them with drone photography for street and intersection design. I’m not even sure where to start my research. Of course stability for the camera is important; I want sharp focus and smooth video. I’m thinking of purchasing the drone separate from the camera rather than having it built into the drone for easier camera upgrades in the future. I don’t have a smart phone to use as a control device but I do have an iPad 4 (outdated) that might be useful. I also have a Macbook Pro if that’s a control option. I’d like at least 14MP resolution for the camera. Any recommendations, advice or personal experiences would be welcome. I’m also thinking of buying something cheap to practice with rather than crashing something expensive during the learning process. Thanks!

ZERO experience, but I did play a drone driver on TV...

OK: maybe not.  But this might help:

http://myfirstdrone.com/tutorials/buying-guides/best-drones-for-sale/

 or

http://www.pcmag.com/roundup/337251/the-best-drones

Maybe someone else here has real experience...

Thanks Tracy, I'll read those.

Right now I’m looking hard at the DJI Phantom 4, and the GoPro Karma + Hero 5 camera (to be released next month).

Hi Steve,

My experience is to buy a toy drone (about $50) and practice, practice, practice. Also get replacement parts (propellers). With the newer drones you have all the “bells and whistles” but when things go wrong without practice you will ditch your drone!
Even my photo insurance does not cover drones ;-(

As far as resolution, the sony RX100 is a good compromise. Get an older version as it is lighter (You can lift if with a DJI 3).  Need to search to find a gimbal for it. I believe there is a European company that does one gimbal for it.

Oliver Klink
Pacific Grove Art Center, Opening Reception September 2 (7-9PM)
September 2 - October 27, Pacific Grove, California

On Oct 25, 2016, at 4:49 AM, Steve Zmak <steve@...> wrote:

Thanks Tracy, I'll read those.

Right now I’m looking hard at the DJI Phantom 4, and the GoPro Karma + Hero 5 camera (to be released next month).

Thanks for the advice Oliver!! I do plan on practicing on the cheap ones.